The thing is, if you call them on it, they can take it as well as they give it.

It is ridiculous how happy it makes my mom if I give her a hard time. I mean, she simply loves the verbal tussling. The problem is I just don't work that way and can't do it consistently... my sympathies are entirely with Brent's mom. 

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 3

I wore patchouli in the late seventies and early eighties...it is the first real scent I liked...I used to dribble a few drops on my suede long fringed jacket every so often....had to put it inside the pockets or under the collar so the oil wouldn't stain...believe it or not I still wear it occasionally...I found a good quality of it just north of Toronto...there is a lot of crappy stuff out there...whenever I wear it I feel happy even though some people find the smell strange.

• Like 2

It is ridiculous how happy it makes my mom if I give her a hard time. I mean, she simply loves the verbal tussling. The problem is I just don't work that way and can't do it consistently... my sympathies are entirely with Brent's mom. 

OMG, did I actually channel Irri and her mom with Lloyd and Mary? That is too cool. I patterned this on my dad and me. I'm so excited it worked. Yeah! 

• Like 2

I am intrigued by the mystery, Cole...and I really hope that Brody and Brent can find themselves as partners.  I never thought Kevin was pure evil like so many seemed to--he broke under the pressure of too much going on in his life--we saw he initially tried to be good with the aftermath of the frat party, but he just got ignored...so I am glad to see him trying to straighten himself out.

Right now, my interest is in the B/B story, as I have no sympathy whatsoever for Craig and Mirabelle--they are both stupid for getting into this in the first place, and especially for not allowing proven parents like Craig's to take over (a thing I'm sure they'd do gladly).  Perhaps he feels little Andy is more of an obligation even if he loves him, but that is no basis for raising a child--it will only cause the kid problems in future.  Nope, Craig and Mirabelle are self-centered as well as selfish--get little Andy out of there! 

Waiting on developments to come which could alter my opinions of the two young parents, but it's going to take a lot of work. :)

Edited by ColumbusGuy

It is ridiculous how happy it makes my mom if I give her a hard time. I mean, she simply loves the verbal tussling.

My dad and I were the same way. He was not happy unless an argument continued to the point where one of us told the other to go f*** themselves.  If we didn't have at least one argument every family gathering people asked if we were ok.

I wore patchouli in the late seventies and early eighties...it is the first real scent I liked...I used to dribble a few drops on my suede long fringed jacket every so often....had to put it inside the pockets or under the collar so the oil wouldn't stain...believe it or not I still wear it occasionally...I found a good quality of it just north of Toronto...there is a lot of crappy stuff out there...whenever I wear it I feel happy even though some people find the smell strange.

Around here the trend was to bathe in the the stuff. I think being so close to NYC had a lot to do with it. The trend was very few real baths and lots of Patchouli.  To this day every time I get a whiff, it reminds me of over use over body odor.

OMG, did I actually channel Irri and her mom with Lloyd and Mary? That is too cool. I patterned this on my dad and me. I'm so excited it worked. Yeah! 

LOL Not only Irri and her mom, but dad and me too!

Right now, my interest is in the B/B story, as I have no sympathy whatsoever for Craig and Mirabelle--they are both stupid for getting into this in the first place, and especially for not allowing proven parents like Craig's to take over (a thing I'm sure they'd do gladly).  Perhaps he feels little Andy is more of an obligation even if he loves him, but that is no basis for raising a child--it will only cause the kid problems in future.  Nope, Craig and Mirabelle are self-centered as well as selfish--get little Andy out of there! 

While I agree there is no reason in this social environment to end up in this situation, I have to disagree that the best thing for Andy would be for one of the sets of grands to take over.  True they have the experience, but just how did they GET the experience?  Craig didn't drop Button off on his mom's doorstep, and Button should not drop Andy off on Craigs.  I had several friends who were raised by the grands in similar situations, and a couple who's parents took over raising the baby when they screwed up too. Some situations worked out better than others, but in every case the family ended up in counseling when there was a lot of roll confusion. Just who is mommy? Who do I have to listen to? You didn't want me, why should I bother with you now?  No matter how well things were handled at the time there are still repercussions. 

I think the situation they have chosen is probably the best course of action in the long run.  It may not take a whole village to raise a successful family, but it sure does take a supportive extended family!  Mir just needs to identify and actually deal with her issues and not hide behind her desires to be a normal college student. She isn't, she is married and has a child. The usual college carousing is NOT in the books for her! The sooner she deals with that the better. As we discussed earlier, PPD may be playing a roll as well, and that is something that can get very out of control very quickly.

• Like 3

Thanks Kitt! 

The combative parent/child relationship seems to have a few real world parallels! That's good. 

Craig and Mirabelle are taking care of Andy and loving him. I'm not sure why he should be placed with someone else. In my experience, all parents have adjustments and challenges to manage when a child comes around. Age of the parents is only one issue, I think. Anyway, the extended family are there to help. Little Andy is not being neglected or wanting for anything. Mir is struggling with some crisis. She's not alone, as Sandy demos in Chapter 4. 

I love hearing all the comments so keep them coming! 

The best way Button's parents can help is by not expecting him to help out in their shop. It really annoyed me that he didn't tell them he couldn't do that any more. And both him and Mia should accept help when offered instead of feeling like bad parents if they need someone to look after Andy for a few hours.

I think that would be a pretty wicked blow to young Craig's self esteem. If he were not working at least part time he would not only be dependent on them for rent and utilities and help caring for Andy around classes, but also pocket money.  

• Like 1

I think that would be a pretty wicked blow to young Craig's self esteem. If he were not working at least part time he would not only be dependent on them for rent and utilities and help caring for Andy around classes, but also pocket money.  

Well, tough luck because the situation now is giving Mira's self esteem a beating. She feels lonely and abandonded and I don't blame her. Craig/Button can offer to share the work, and let her be a bread winner too. Plus it will give her a chance of speaking with adults too and not spend all her time doing baby talk.

Edit: I'd forgotten about Craig's parents helping out with money, so I guess he does have to do something in return, but I'm sure they would accept it, if he waited for six months until Andy could be in day care.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Still talking in lists. 

1. I do think it's reasonable for Mir to balk a little bit at the fact that Craig and Graham are being called upon to provide housing, employment, college money, and now childcare too. Craig's their child, but she's not and I can see how she might want a limit to the whole take take take take thing.
  2. I'm a bit puzzled by the absence of Mir's parents. Are they offended because Craig is going to college rather than going straight to work at the golf club as her dad wanted him to do?
  3. We all know this, but it can be freakin' dangerous to leave an undiagnosed PPD patient alone with a newborn all day. If that's what's wrong with Mirabelle, thank heavens for Sandy.
  4. My sad prediction: Mirabelle's worked for and been devoted to her family all her life so far, never really had much fun as far as I can tell. Now she's right back to more of the same. She didn't even ask for clubs or parties, only a chance to take a full load of classes. She's going to run away.

Edit: Tim, I was back at work for over a year before I stopped being faintly surprised that when I said "no" to my coworkers they didn't start crying or yelling.  

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

I was concerned the mystery would overshadow the thread about Mirabelle, but that is obviously not the case. Its a huge relief. Now, i will address a couple things i dont address coming up.

Mir's parents arent absent. They are part of the care mix. There is no animosity, in my mind.

They have financial help in the form of those business shares from Craig and Graham.

Im surprised anyone has thought Button is selfish and has burdened Mir. I tried to show they have differences but so far they are joint decisions. Maybe i should show that more explicitly.

This is helpful to me as a writer. Some things dont come through like you intend. Thanks!

• Like 3

Hmmm. So it seems like Brent and Brody are really on the yearn for each other, huh? They do seem like they'd be sweet together. I know you said in your response to my review that Brent is still kind of hung up on Andy... but the way it's written, it's almost like he's retreating into thoughts of Andy from the unpleasantness of being with Trey! Poor Trey, betrayed by another boyfriend...  :P

And how did you guess, Cole, that Jaxson would be a favorite with me?  ;) Those kids of his... has he ever met either one?

I'm racking my brains to think who Dray could be and coming up blank. But I totally don't think Kevin is Killer anymore. 

• Like 4

From Irri's comments, i seem to be doing my job well. Giving clues and cues while not telling you too much. We dont know who Dray is quite yet. That little tidbit is coming up.

Im glad you like Jaxson! Lots more of him to come.

:)

• Like 2

Dray-mien? Edit: It's ridiculous how badly I want Damien to be a criminal  :rolleyes:

Edit: and oh, I remember that post-partum across-the-front button-strain so well... Poor Mir, I felt so bad for her. Really nice observation, Cole.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

New chapter for Barbed Wire Heart will be posted tomorrow morning.  We have Brent wondering how Brody knows so much about him. Jaxson shows some more of his moves and Kevin has a problem Earl seems to have solved, at least for the moment.

• Like 2

New chapter for Barbed Wire Heart will be posted tomorrow morning.  We have Brent wondering how Brody knows so much about him. Jaxson shows some more of his moves and Kevin has a problem Earl seems to have solved, at least for the moment.

Something to look forward to...my brain is whirling already.....Brent and Brody....yeah

• Like 1

Oh yeah...one more thing. Why is Brody pretending to have a girlfriend??? he doesn't have to tell Brent anything...just not pretend...I don't get it because he is out...and even had a moment with Brent....Is it a sign of senility that I am so confused?? Oh god...it is ,isn't it!?!! I wonder if they will give me a room with a view?

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 1

Brody's cover is for Lloyd. He is playing the game to keep grandpa off his back. He doesnt know what to say to Brent. Does that help Gary?

No...he should grow a pair...he could have told the truth to Brent in the kitchen....BTW..thanks for keeping LLoyd in the story because I love/hate that old guy...he tries....cheers...Gary

OMG...now I think I am letting my inner LLoyd out!!

:gikkle:  Maybe Cole can have Lloyd talk with the various characters one by one and deliver some advice. Earl needs to get his teeth fixed. Brody should grow a pair and ask Brent out. You know, that latter would actually fit in nicely with all of Lloyd's contradictory positions on "fairies." 

Edit: Mr. Irri's grandma went through a similar process when she was getting her head around my having the kids in daycare. Whenever she had a thought about how being in daycare affected the kids, she'd voice it, but she's extremely sweet, so if the opinion was discreditable to me, she'd say it softly, and if it spoke well of our parenting, she'd say it out loud. So it would go like this:

Whisper: Oh, yes, he's thin because he's in daycare and they don't spend very much time getting the kids to eat

Loud conversational tone: He's very brave and friendly, because he's in daycare!

Maybe Lloyd just needs to modulate his tones a bit.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2