Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

18 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Just sent Chapter 56 off to Gary...at least it's not 2AM.  I hope he doesn't have a lot of trouble with it.  I'll be posting it as soon as I get it back and revel in his axe-work.  I know there are some exclamation marks that will have to go....

Okay... all done and sent back to you, CG. I could only go through it once, but I was pretty thorough (I hope). :)  I gave you three title suggestions

Please let me know right away you received it. :hug: 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • 1 month later...

Hey buddy, just thought you might want to know your story (Soul Mates) has been sitting at the number one spot of the Top Stories list on the main Forum page for quite a while now. I know you don't visit the forum pages much, and you probably won't be able to see it, but I hope the fact makes you happy. :hug: 

It deserves to be there btw.

Edited by Timothy M.
something I forgot to say
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Tusind tak min ven!  You're right, I don't check those things out because I'm never on it....

I guess we have to get lucky once in a while, if only I could figure out why this one clicked and others didn't....

On a side note--Ohio sucks, we got a little snow outside! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Tusind tak min kaereste ven...glaedelig Jul to you.  I'm glad I didn't screw up my snatch of Danish, because it was too late to consult you.  I was going to add some more traditional things, but I ran out of wakefulness since this was a late all-night production.  :)

I mentioned a bike scene in the main story??

• Like 3
9 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

I mentioned a bike scene in the main story??

I'm pretty sure there was a reference to Jay having a broken arm due to an accident with his bike. A teasing comment by his father or something like that. But I might be wrong, it's just as I read the story I thought 'Ah, so that's how Jay broke his arm and his bike.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, Timothy M. said:

I'm pretty sure there was a reference to Jay having a broken arm due to an accident with his bike. A teasing comment by his father or something like that. But I might be wrong, it's just as I read the story I thought 'Ah, so that's how Jay broke his arm and his bike.'

You could be right, I am getting on in years...and I put so many little details in that some slip by--of course that aggravates me when I can't remember where they are! 

:read:  :heart:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

If I'm remembering right, the Newsletter mentioned something about thinning out older content--

Don't worry, CG, old stories won't disappear, nor pictures in the galleries, as far as I understand. It's mainly old forum threads, and they won't really disappear, just become archived, so they're not active and clutter up the search routines. 

Godt Nytår, min ven. :hug: 

• Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, just to let you know that the boys are talking to each other in Chapter 57, and I hope I can finish it soon.  I'm glad the Christmas story about a younger Jay and Jerry got so much attention, but it just makes me all the more eager to fill you in on the study group and their friends like Bill, Kevin, Finn and Lee.

I can't say much, but there's a real life event in this chapter that might stir things up a bit--among you or the guys, I won't or can't say for certain.  All I can tell you is that it showed me something about a teen's world that most of us don't think about.

In an aside, I'm trying to work up a second part for Sole Mates...Geron pointed out that some distances I thought were small are in fact not, so I've had to contrive other devices for that story.  I've never been to New York state, so my map recollections were wrong.  Remember those blank maps from elementary where all you had were the outlines of states and you had to recite all the names and capitals?  Wait, that's probably not pc anymore...sorry, that was in the mid 60s for me.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • 2 months later...

Wow, something new?  And story related to boot?  Yes sirree!

I just sent Chapter 57 to Gary so he can work his miracles on it...and it's not even the middle of the night, so he might have time to look at it.  :)

I hope readers are still interested--I saw that I'd lost a few followers, and for that I'm really sorry.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Wow, something new?  And story related to boot?  Yes sirree!

I just sent Chapter 57 to Gary so he can work his miracles on it...and it's not even the middle of the night, so he might have time to look at it.  :)

I hope readers are still interested--I saw that I'd lost a few followers, and for that I'm really sorry.

I got it. I've just taken a pain pill for my shoulder so I won't get to it tonight. Maybe tomorrow after shopping and chores, buddy. :hug:  

• Like 2

Oh, I'm just remarking...I'm grateful anybody likes my story enough t o follow it.  I remember wondering when I'd break the ceiling of twenty...and have a rep higher than 500...it seemed so far away and so long to get to!

I went back last week and read a story I'd been reading as it came out and was amazed to see 'likes' in the 70s plus for each chapter now.  Guess were-wolves are more popular than high school kids...and no, they weren't G-Man's stories.  This one had been reworked, so I had to see what changed, but once I was in it again, I forgot all that and just read it for pleasure overnight.  She hinted there might be a third book, so I'm waiting for that.  :)

• Like 2

@ColumbusGuy I sent an edited version back to you from hotmail, but I had trouble with paragraph spacing... there were no breaks in the doc when it arrived so I added them, but the sent doc appears to have doubles now. :(  The google doc was worse... no spacing, and then suddenly huge spaces I couldn't fix, so I gave up on it. I hope you can get the spacing right... at least it's edited. :(  Let me know....

• Like 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

I got no clue why it got to you like that..I fixed it with manual removal.  Now I have to decide if I want to put the desired picture in it.  Not as easy as it used to be.

Sorry you had to fix it manually. I would have done it for you, but I didn't know it was like that until I checked the sent doc, and I had no other edited hotmail copy to work with.  :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can always show the picture here and add a link to the post in the chapter end note. That's what I do in my Clueless Camping story. If you can't find the small button to make the link, we can give you the url in a post and you can copy it to the chapter.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple things...I had a follow-up eye appointment last Wednesday.  Pressure is down in the eye that had the surgeries into the normal range, but still taking the two drops to keep it that way.  Everything looked good according to the pics and the visual inspection via magnifier.  Next one Dec. 20th.

Work started on Chapter 58, and I'm hoping to reach the final scene for it this time that I didn't get to last chapter...it's a real life event I had then, and it seems like a good spot for it.

Anybody got ideas about a senior prom from the 70s?  I didn't go, and the one person I'm in touch with at my schoool didn't go either, though she knows a girl who did.  I know disco was just starting the year before, but what other dances were done?  My sister's were in the 60s, and I know some of those dances, but would any have carried over?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Chapter 58 is still moving along, but I noticed something a few weeks ago that I forgot about: one of my shorts says it's part of the JM series, but I never made it that way...so here's the question:

Should I make all Jay-related stories part of a series?  It won't change anything except link them together in a listing, so what do you think?  I'm not sure of adding a number yet, though the Christmas one comes first at this point, and the Out West one is after the main one...I can also leave it as things are now and see if more come along....got an idea for at least one more short before JM, though it might not make the deadline I hoped for which is on the 4th at another site.

• Like 2

I think you should link them in a series. The process can be a little complicated, so you might want to ask @Myr to do it for you. If you send him link to the stories in the order you want them and explain your sight issues, I'm sure he'll be happy to help. Don't forget to decide a name for the series. You can always add later short stories and change the order if necessary.

• Like 3

It hadn't occurred to me that I'd need a name...I guess 'Jay & Miles' can be a bit dull, but so far one or the other has been in every story, long or short.

Hmm...Ohio...farms....small town life.  Not much excitement on the surface.   'Children of The Corn' has been used, dang it.  Hayloft?  'Roll In The Hay' is a nice phrase but limiting....'Stalking Love'?  Lends mystery but a completely wrong vibe.

Harking back to something in an early chapter...'Jay's Song'?

😸

• Like 2