Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Black Widow- Music Recommendations

• 1 month later...

Chapter 18

-When Claire and JJ mingle at the fashion show, and meet Bellona Carter and Zac Posen, two big stars in the fashion world.

"Nuit Blanche" by Viva La Fete

-When JJ watches the fashion show.

"Me and Madonna" by Blackstrobe

-When Zac Posen walks away and JJ is obviously entranced.

"Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" by Queen of Japan

-When we meet Buzz Dalby, Texan extraordinaire.

"Real Good Man" by Tim McGraw

Tim McGraw. God, I think it was between him and Kenny Chesney when it came to the country music idols of the time. I actually remember running across gay Tim McGraw fanfiction on Nifty Archive back around this time. LOL.

Blue, you know this one? I think it's a great "Good Ol' Boy" theme.

• 1 month later...

Chapter 19

-When Will cranks up some Good Charlotte.

"The Anthem" by Good Charlotte

When I started doing these music recs, they were for 1980 music. Now I'm doing music that came out when I was a sophomore or a rising junior in high school. Crazy.

I'm kind of looking forward to using Taylor Swift in a few CAP years. I'm sure Will is going to get A LOT of mileage out of her shit, and Blue's going to enjoy all that early country music stuff she did. Can't you guys just picture 23-year old Blue looking forlornly at a picture of his ex-boyfriend while "Tim McGraw" plays?

-When Will picks up Ryan, as they both express their optimism for their senior year at Menlo.

"The Remedy" (I Wont Worry) by Jason Mraz

Jason Mraz played at UD just a couple months after I graduated UD, while I was away at grad school. I was so pissed. God, he's cute. He seems like the ultimate California dude, you know? Just that great, laidback Californian attitude/vibe.

-When Buzz and Brad go riding.

"I Should've Been A Cowboy" by Toby Keith

• Like 1

Chapter 20

-As Will, JP, and Brad arrive into Hawaiian sky, with Will ultimately revealing his plans to create a family compound in Maui.

"Dynasty" Theme Song

Does anyone remember when FX used to run reruns of this back in the 90's? Pop TV has been running reruns recently, and it's been a kick catching them as an adult instead of as a little kid.

To be honest, despite the fact that he's a total whackjob, I found Adam Carrington to be very attractive...I think his closest equivalent CAP character was Brian Parnell, although Brian wasn't nearly as smart. And his rival Jeff Colby totally looks like Armie Hammer, in my opinion. (Although more like regular handsome as opposed to unreal handsome/perfect physical specimen that Armie is.)

-When JJ arrives at Mode Magazine.

"Sex and the City" Theme Song

I figure JJ has pretty much every episode of Sex and City on his Tivo, which should be gearing up to go into it's last season right now.

I'm really bitter that the Carrie Diaries was a crappy show, because its Young Carrie and Young Samantha were actually really, really good. Unfortunately the show focused on a lot of lame characters like Carrie's younger sister and her insipid high school friends.

-At the fashion show, where JJ makes his way into the good graces of Bellona Carter, while throwing Ella under the bus.

"Work It" by Missy Elliot

-When Will and Brad go surfing, and Will contemplates about how they're in a better place now.

"Alive" by P.O.D.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chapter 25

-When JJ looks outside his limo and realizes that something is wrong, learns about the blackout, and immediately decides to turn his back on the masses and head back to his condo.

"Summer in the City" by the Lovin' Spoonful

-When Brad and Stefan get stuck in an elevator during the blackout.

"There is No Electricity" by Memory Boy

• 2 months later...

Chapter 26

-When Stefan and Brad party their way through the Great Blackout of '03 as they walk back to the condo.

"Hot In Here" by Nelly

-When JJ has a touching moment of inspiration, and decides to help someone in need. And then it totally backfires on him.

"Flying Without Wings" by Ruben Studdard

• Like 2

Ah, yes. The song that encouraged drunk frat guys everywhere to start stripping at parties. I like that song.

Oh, young drunken frat boys. I keep getting older, but they stay the same age and just as hot.

Although apparently, Lacoste has been replaced by Vineyard Vines. And you see more (actual) beards than you used to back in 2006.

BTW, Mark, have you taken my recommendation about watching The Social Network? It really is a good primer on college life circa 2003-2006, when wearing a t-shirt over a long button down shirt was cool and everybody was getting on Myspace/Facebook.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 27

-When Will shows off JP's Stanford retirement Ferrari.

"All Right Now" by Free

This is the Stanford fight song. Pretty cool. They clearly love their classic rock there.

That's it for the whole chapter? :huh:

No trying-to-stay-friends-with-your-ex-while-flirting-with-his-date song for Brad?

No coming-of-age-and-assuming-a-leadership-role-in-the-family music for Will?

No pissed-off-at-the-world-and-gonna-stay-that-way-no-matter-what-anyone-says song for JJ?

I feel a bit cheated. :unsure:

• Like 1

*Deep sign* Anything for my faaannnans. *said in a Joan Crawford from Mommy Dearest voice*

Chapter 27

-When Brad has an awkward encounter with his ex in Chicago.

"We Used to Be Friends" by the Dandy Warhols

I'm so fucking excited this song exists in CAP-world now. God, I love it.

-When Will shows off JP's Stanford retirement Ferrari.

This is the Stanford fight song. Pretty cool. They clearly love their classic rock there.

-When Will gets a leadership role in the family.

"No Such Thing" by John Mayer

The John Mayer thing was such a slow burning thing. I remember hearing about him in 2001, and then this one album stayed on the radar for three years.

-When JJ fumes about how nobody takes him seriously.

"I'm Just A Kid" by Simple Plan

This video makes me wish I could still pull off a ringer t-shirt.

You know that you're getting old when fashions from when you were a teenager start looking really, really dated.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Chapter 28

-JJ makes his decision.

"Freedom 90" by George Michael

-JJ has some fun with Buzz.

"So Alive" by Love and Rocketts

-John's band do terrible covers:

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem

"Shake Ya Tailfeather" by Nelly

-John's band does one decent cover:

"Your Body is Wonderland" by John Mayer

• Like 1

Chapter 29

-After the party, where Will, Darius, and Ryan decide to blow off some steam and toke up, and just the breeze.

"Beast of Burden" by The Rolling Stone

-When Will calls up Zach, who's at a party having a blast and seems rather uninterested in Will.

"Shout!" from Animal House

That has to be one of the most universal college songs I've ever heard. No matter the era, it just resonates with anybody who went to college.

-When Will hooks up with Buzz.

"Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money

I will forever associate this song with Phi Kapps parties.

-When JJ hooks up with Alex after a rotten morning.

"You Get Me" by Michelle Branch

• Like 1

Chapter 30

-When Will calls up Zach, who's at yet another college party.

"Right Thurr" by Chingy

-When Will and Buzz get it on.

"Urgent" by Foreigner

This classic rock tune plays a part in the new, 1980-set Richard Linklater Everybody Wants Some. (They NAILED how guys dressed in 1980. I was really impressed at how well they recreated the year 1980 for the most part...the girls were a little off for me, though.)

Anybody else know this tune? I know Foreigner, but hadn't really heard this one before. "I Want to Know What Love Is" and "Hot-Blooded" are probably their best.

-When Will starts his senior year of high school. 

"Kids in America" by The Muffs

I feel weird about using 90's songs, because it's not old enough in 2003 to be retro cool yet like 80's stuff or classic like 70's stuff, but whatever. LOL. It's a great tune and I'm the DJ, damn it. I tried to think back to the O.C. but then remembered that they never really showed them in school that much, as most teen dramas are wont to do. So there's no identifiable song choice about the first day of school from that show. Oh, well.

-When Will thinks for a mercifully brief moment that his father is dead. (Which he is not.)

"Time after Time" by Eva Cassidy

-When Will starts his senior year of high school.

"Kids in America" by The Muffs

I feel weird about using 90's songs, because it's not old enough in 2003 to be retro cool yet like 80's stuff or classic like 70's stuff, but whatever. LOL. It's a great tune and I'm the DJ, damn it.

Seriously? :blink: That song is as '80s as it gets...at least, everywhere other than in the US. It was one of my favorites during my own high school years, which were definitely in the '80s. :rolleyes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_in_America

Edited by impunity

Seriously? :blink: That song is as '80s as it gets...at least, everywhere other than in the US. It was one of my favorites during my own high school years, which were definitely in the '80s. :rolleyes:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_in_America

You're thinking of the original by Kim Wilde, which came out in 1981. This is the cover by the Muffs, which kicked off the movie Clueless in 1995

Clueless kind of "defines" that generation of teenagers who aren't quite Gen Xers, but aren't quite Millennials. (I'd classify them as people born in the late 70's/early 80's, and attended high school in the mid/late 90's.) It was the first "post-grunge" teen movie.

Daria is another really good look at that cohort. It was an MTV cartoon, but it actually nailed that Y2K high school vibe. The joke was that Daria had this depressive, cynical grungey vibe to her- but contrasted against late 90's American optimism and the sunny teen culture of the time. (Think TRL, boybands, Britney Spears, etc.)

In terms of CAP, I'd say that Matt, Wade, Darius, Tony, Mary Ellen, and Gathan belong to that. Ella's kinda borderline- I'd link her more to Will's Millennial cohort, but she still had a significant amount of her high school experience in the 90's instead of the '00s. She's kind of like Blue-he was born in 1984 but I think he graduated in '01 because he skipped a grade.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Besides, I gave Jeremy permission to go nostalgic if it fits the mood.  I mean, younger people will still listen to older songs if they're good.

The really nice thing about this time period we're in now is that 80's songs are starting to become "cool" again, and 1970's rock is "classic". But 90's stuff is kind of just passe and old, although again, I went with this version because I listened to a contemporary cover that was just awful.

• Like 2

Gentlemen, you are completely missing the point of my comment. All I meant was Jeremy's disclaimer that the song may have been insufficiently retro was unnecessary because the song, itself, was from the '80s, regardless of who covered it. :rolleyes: 

Chapter 30

-When Brad goes to his super-secret meeting.

"Extreme Ways" by Moby (Instrumental)

I've actually never seen the Bourne Identity. It seems to have been the movie that cemented Matt Damon's box-office star status, while Ben Affleck's career started skidding until The Town came out. Ben did have a very admirable comeback streak this decade, but it's funny to think about how when they first started out at the end of the 1990's, so much of the attention was on him to be the next big thing, and then Matt Damon wound up having the much better career during the 2000's.

-When Will tries to compose himself over the events of the day, and then has a very awkward conversation with Buzz's son.

"Atmosphere" by Joy Division (instrumental)

-On his way back home, Brad ponders the events of the day, and then hears Will's relief over the phone.

"May It Be" by Enya

• Like 1

Chapter 32

-When Brad goes home in the plane, and reunites with Will.

"Girls" by Death In Vegas

-When the grown-ups, plus Will, reunite at Escorial, determined to get down to the bottom of it.

"The Weight" by the Band

-When everybody learns that Buzz fucked his way through the non-straight male half of the Schluter family.

"The Girl Gets Around" from Footloose the Musical

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..