How To Gain - Or Lose - Your Readers!

So today's Typical Newbie Question:

is is there a GA protocol, custom, or regularly acceptable practice for finding a Beta?  Is there perhaps a forum full of volunteers eager to say "pick me?" Sorry, just not sure how things work.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

So today's Typical Newbie Question:

is is there a GA protocol, custom, or regularly acceptable practice for finding a Beta?  Is there perhaps a forum full of volunteers eager to say "pick me?" Sorry, just not sure how things work.

Post in the Writing Support Requests forum.  Check out the pinned topic for authors at the top of the page for what to include when making your request.  Best of luck! 

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/forum/100-writing-support-requests/

• Like 3

A good editor/beta reader are worth their weight in gold, Parker. I used to be a bit of a loner in that respect, and at first never thought it mattered much. Then I let a GA friend, who's writing I admired, loose on a chapter. Ouch...did that become a steep learning curve, or what!

Warning - be willing to have the rough edges ground off, but it's often the best way to rapid improvement!
Riley

PS Just a quick note to my own readers to say that I'm now caught up with 'English Teen'. The next chapter - to be published this coming Wednesday - is new territory!

Valkyrie makes my Snowflake story possible. She and Atruefan, who is my main beta, help me polish and encourage me to go on. Without them I might stop writing again which I do too often.

Personally I find the pressure of putting a chapter out there at least once a month an incentive to drive my writing. But my writing style is a bit odd and needs that energy. I find my stories write themselves. Its like the characters tell me what they are going to do.

Yes...I am insane. :P

• Like 1

Many thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement.  I think I prefer this:

1. Write

2. Beg for a Beta/Editor

3. Polish with B/E

Repeat as necessary

4. Publish, at intervals (but not too long intervals)

Am now embarking on steps one and two.

And while I am at it, special kudos to Riley for his stellar work. I enjoyed 'Safe Hands,' immensely, and have followed Luke for some time now. You haven't lost me yet, Riley.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

You might want to start looking for an editor/beta now.  It can take a long time to find someone, since a lot people on this site are already helping other authors.  I'd help you myself, but I am at my limit for what I can handle as far as editing.  Over it, actually.  I have a hard time saying no. lol 

You might want to start looking for an editor/beta now.  It can take a long time to find someone, since a lot people on this site are already helping other authors.

Yep, finding a good beta and / or editor is like winning the Lottery. So make sure you treat them right, when you get one.

• Like 2

And while I am at it, special kudos to Riley for his stellar work. I enjoyed 'Safe Hands,' immensely, and have followed Luke for some time now. You haven't lost me yet, Riley.

Parker…thank you. It’s kind of you to say.

And the good news? It’s been two years since I published something new, but Luke and his family and friends are back on the menu. Today sees the publishing of a brand new chapter (The Morning After the Night Before) for ET!

How’s the search for an Editor/Beta going?

Riley

• Like 1

Riley - thanks for sticking with the story!  And the beta/editor search is going well. Someone I respect and value as a writer is willing to have a look at what I've done so far, so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 1