2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Laying It On The Line

patrickjason

Hello everyone!  

I wanted to introduce who I was and lay everything on the line here and ask for some advice.

I am 34 years old, and I am gay.  There, I said it, or typed it rather.  I have never told anyone my feelings in my entire life.  Anyone.  That means that I am still a virgin.

I think I first noticed that I was “different” when I was twelve years old and went skinny dipping with a friend of mine.  Even through my teenage years however, I lied to myself time upon time, thinking that I was only “curious.”  Only in the past few years have I finally let my barrier down and told myself that I was gay.

Since finding the stories on this web site and over at Nifty, I began to get bolder.  I sheepishly and discreetly made a post on Craig’s List asking if anyone was looking for a relationship.  There was one person who wanted me to come over, and I considered it and almost jumped in, but thankfully, I came to my senses.  

You see, I don’t just want sex and give up my virginity on a whim.  I am lonely and want companionship and to be loved for who I am and love another in return.  But I’m still stuck hiding.  I realize that things have changed, especially in the past few years, but I don’t feel comfortable coming out of the closet, not even to my own family.  I live rurally in the south, and I just don’t know how to meet people that are gay.  Personally, I only know of one other gay person, and we never got along while growing up (we went to the same school).  

Do you have any advice?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After writing the above, I took my first glance at the forums here, and one of the first posts was asking about 18+ virgins.  Hmmm…I think I have all of them beat :)  Anyway, still looking for advice.

Thanks,

Patrick Jason

• Like 5

Welcome to GA, Patrick! :D:hug: I live in rural Texas, so I understand where you are coming from. Of course, I'm outta my element in giving you advice, but GA has many members who can give you advice, guidance, or simply be a confidant :)

All I can do is welcome you to the community, I'm afraid. :) Which I will do, openly. Good to have you here, Graywolf. I hope you find the advice you're looking for here, and the happiness you're seeking in your life.

I just came out this year, Mr. Wolf. I am a 45 year old man.

You are in good company here and you will find your story repeated like a plaintive echo across the canyons of our collective experiences.

I used Meetup to find guys. Now i host Meetups. I just posted pictures of my new me...I finally see the person I always wanted to in the mirror.

https://www.meetup.com

Welcome! :hug:

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2

Welcome to GA Patrick... :)

I don't have a degree to give suggestions like a counselor do. Though I have some experiences with the gay meeting. It not easy, never easy for the matter.

Just give the guy some space and communicate freely. Show a great sense of humor not the Flirty or Dirty ones though. Say everything with your eyes rather than Your words.

Never expect it is going to work, Life is not a fictional story, just try it out. And remember no person is perfect. You have compromise with their faults and adjust some times...

Hope this will help... :)

Anyway welcome to GA...

• Like 1

Welcome to GA and to the greater LGBT community. :D :D :D

The road ahead of you is going to be challenging, but few things in life are easily achieved. If you feel up to it try to write a story or a poem; it helps to vent out some of your frustrations and express your emotions.

As for Companionship, I know what you mean I've been on that hunt for a decade now almost.

Hi Patrick, welcome to GA.

Finding a partner is like finding a job. It takes work, and networking is your best strategy. Online communities may help some. Finding a discussion group that shares one of your interests, or an organization affiliated with your career wouldn't hurt. Especially if they meet in a nearby city, so you could visit the city and meet up with folks. Lots of couples now meet online.

Somebody suggested the best way to meet a companion is to do the things you enjoy, and see who enjoys them with you. At least, you'll start out with something in common.

Good luck and good hunting!

Somebody suggested the best way to meet a companion is to do the things you enjoy, and see who enjoys them with you. At least, you'll start out with something in common.

Yeah it is a good suggestion Patrick... It may workout and give a knowledge of what You both Like too... :)

Wow, thanks everyone!  It's nice to be accepted and welcomed, and this place is doing both.  At the least, it makes feeling alone a little easier to deal with.  

As for writing, I am a writer of sorts, but when it comes to a fictional story, I just don't seem to be able to get it down on paper.  I have had great story ideas in the past, yet barely get past the first page before I stop.

I look forward to being a part of this community.

• Like 4

• Site Administrator

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The FAQs are a good place to check first, and feel free to contact any of the moderators if you have any questions you would prefer to keep private.

I hope you enjoy it here! :D