45 Signs You're An Old Millennial

methodwriter85

Ah, trusty old Buzzfeed.

45 Signs You're An Old Millennial

This is INCREDIBLY tailored to those who had their childhood in the early/mid-90's, their middle school years in the late 90's, their high school years in the early 2000's, and their college years in the mid-2000's.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty dead-on. At least for a general American middle-class upbringing.

I did kind of LOL at the comment about not wanting to be lumped in with people born in the 1990's. Honestly, I don't find people born circa 1992-1993 to being THAT different from me, and I'd classify them as 90's kids. (Very late 90's kids, but 90's kids nonetheless.They at least hit elementary school before the end of the decade.) But when you get to kids born in the mid/late 90's, I just feel like it's an entirely different generation. (Like in the reverse direction, I tend to find people born in the mid/late 1970's as being a different generation, while people born in the early 80's feel kind of "in-betweener" to me.)

• Like 1

I think that article tailored toward my generation.  I wouldn't call myself an Old Millennial though (I just call myself "Old" period).  I graduated in high school during the late 90's and all that stuff in Buzzfeed spoke to me to the T.  I would say it was written by someone maybe one or two years younger than me.  But then, I think Buzzfeed tailors toward older "Internet-connected" people like me, but ironically I hate it!  My brother loves it, but I just... don't read it and drive, please.

I have first-hand experience with like 99% of those they described.  I am so proud I am like a vintage wine that tastes like cliche... <_<  NOT!

Late 90's was really a golden age.  Some of you "millennials" would probably only able to legendarize it in the articles such as that Buzzfeed, which may or may not make you guys salivate in your wet dream.  But what made it special wasn't something you could write or read about..., you gotta experience it.  I wouldn't want to relive it, seriously, though that's what makes it memorable.  It's like watching Thelma and Louise on DVD, like... twenty years after its initial release, maybe?  You remember you repeated that segment when the young Brad Pitt was half-nekked with a blowdryer in his hand.  You loved it and digged it, and you wanted to get a Mrs. Pitt T-shirt, then you laughed yourself silly because gay marriage wasn't legal.  Then all of a sudden, you crashed... after remembering how that movie ended.  "That was a great movie" was echoing in your head, but that's about it.  You probably would dig the DVD out just for the blowdryer scene, but you'd never want to go through that experience in its completeness....

I still remember the life before Internet....  Maybe that's an experience that nobody could take away from me.  People just talked differently back then, and the entire world wasn't so synched, and not every state in the "United States" was equal.  California was clearly more edgy and everyone envied to be a Californian.  :P  Now California is just another state after the Internet age, and you'd hear Californians say "other people won't understand us" on the street because, "we're just... different" in a poignant sort of way.

Edited by Ashi
  • Like 1

I think that article tailored toward my generation.  I wouldn't call myself an Old Millennial though (I just call myself "Old" period).  I graduated in high school during the late 90's and all that stuff in Buzzfeed spoke to me to the T.  I would say it was written by someone maybe one or two years younger than me.  But then, I think Buzzfeed tailors toward older "Internet-connected" people like me, but ironically I hate it!  My brother loves it, but I just... don't read it and drive, please.

I have first-hand experience with like 99% of those they described.  I am so proud I am like a vintage wine that tastes like cliche... <_<  NOT!

Late 90's was really a golden age.  Some of you "millennials" would probably only able to legendarize it in the articles such as that Buzzfeed, which may or may not make you guys salivate in your wet dream.  But what made it special wasn't something you could write or read about..., you gotta experience it.  I wouldn't want to relive it, seriously, though that's what makes it memorable.  It's like watching Thelma and Louise on DVD, like... twenty years after its initial release, maybe?  You remember you repeated that segment when the young Brad Pitt was half-nekked with a blowdryer in his hand.  You loved it and digged it, and you wanted to get a Mrs. Pitt T-shirt, then you laughed yourself silly because gay marriage wasn't legal.  Then all of a sudden, you crashed... after remembering how that movie ended.  "That was a great movie" was echoing in your head, but that's about it.  You probably would dig the DVD out just for the blowdryer scene, but you'd never want to go through that experience in its completeness....

I still remember the life before Internet....  Maybe that's an experience that nobody could take away from me.  People just talked differently back then, and the entire world wasn't so synched, and not every state in the "United States" was equal.  California was clearly more edgy and everyone envied to be a Californian.  :P  Now California is just another state after the Internet age, and you'd hear Californians say "other people won't understand us" on the street because, "we're just... different" in a poignant sort of way.

Massachusetts understands California, we're your east coast gay cousin who fooled around with similar ideas and actually made it work. :lol:

You've got Cal Tech, we got MIT

You got google, we got facebook

:P

As for Millennials, we're very different based on our age. I am a late millennial being born in 1987 about 3 years after Method and nearly a decade after Ashi. I remember the days before the internet, but I also had an old mac PC with Carmen San Diego and Oregon Trail :lmao: I also was around during the early days of forums like this being founded in the altnets a term few people outside of those around the late 90's would remember.

I missed the sense of security and simpler life of the 90's with less stress over modern day issues.

As for Millennials, we're very different based on our age. I am a late millennial being born in 1987 about 3 years after Method and nearly a decade after Ashi.

Oh sweetie, if anyone can claim the title of "late millennial" it's me, since I was born in 95 :P

• Like 2

Oh sweetie, if anyone can claim the title of "late millennial" it's me, since I was born in 95 :P

Drew, if I give you play doh will you try to chew on it :P

You're right on the edge of being a Generation Z kid.

Massachusetts understands California, we're your east coast gay cousin who fooled around with similar ideas and actually made it work. :lol:

As for Millennials, we're very different based on our age. I am a late millennial being born in 1987 about 3 years after Method and nearly a decade after Ashi. I remember the days before the internet, but I also had an old mac PC with Carmen San Diego and Oregon Trail :lmao: I also was around during the early days of forums like this being founded in the altnets a term few people outside of those around the late 90's would remember.

I missed the sense of security and simpler life of the 90's with less stress over modern day issues.

I was born in very late 1985. At most we're two years apart, but more likely about a year and a half. I got held back, so everyone I graduated with was born in 1986/1987.

I kind of miss the internet being somewhat obscure.

• Like 1

I was born in very late 1985. At most we're two years apart, but more likely about a year and a half. I got held back, so everyone I graduated with was born in 1986/1987.

I kind of miss the internet being somewhat obscure.

That's cool and kind of ironic:

I'm a June baby and I skipped one grade, in elementary school. Then, skipped one year in college with AP credits. I spent most of my life with kids born in 1985-1986.

I loved Netscape browsers and shockwave's old online arcade games.

Some of these things still feel 'new' to me. Particularly the WinAmp interface.

But then I'm the Xed out Generation.

I remember when telephones used to go 'bbbbbbrrrring bbbbbbrrrrring' and I had to dial in a number with a dial! :o

Oh ha ha! :P

And don't place me with Gen Z :o They look at me funny when I start talking about VCRs, box TVs, and flip phones! :blink:

Drew, you are like me then. Generationless. I have things I identify with from before me and keep myself up to speed on things coming up. Generation pigeon holes always either put me in Y or Babby Boom because Generation X was a label that meant something to Baby Boom media and I never fit their stereotypes.. I've never been a slacker and I didn't really like Nirvana that much at the time. 

We are immortals, Drew! :P

Edited by MrM
  • Like 2

Some of these things still feel 'new' to me. Particularly the WinAmp interface.

But then I'm the Xed out Generation.

I remember when telephones used to go 'bbbbbbrrrring bbbbbbrrrrring' and I had to dial in a number with a dial! :o

*hands MrM a silver phone dialer*

Drew, you are like me then. Generationless. I have things I identify with from before me and keep myself up to speed on things coming up. Generation pigeon holes always either put me in Y or Babby Boom because Generation X was a label that meant something to Baby Boom media and I never fit their stereotypes.. I've never been a slacker and I didn't really like Nirvana that much at the time. 

We are immortals, Drew! :P

You're not generationless.  You guys are Generation Ashi.  :P

I remember Where in the World is Carmen San Diego and Oregon Trail.  I remember Microsoft Bob and Railroad Tycoon.  Apple Newton, Palm tablet?  How about those beepers?

• Like 1

Apparently being a dirt poor kid from that generation means I don't relate to any of them until item 12...

I never wore tinted sun glasses until I turned 16 in 2003, but had wide legged jeans.

I'll loan you my old mac, which my school gave away back in 95, when they were switching to IBM PC.

• Like 1

I never wore tinted sun glasses until I turned 16 in 2003, but had wide legged jeans.

I'll loan you my old mac, which my school gave away back in 95, when they were switching to IBM PC.

I think by the end of the list I could relate to 5 of them, haha! One Mac won't quite be enough, I think. Thanks though. :D

I did love Boy Meets World, though. :P

• Like 1

This is why I ain't a Gen Z kid :P

These were a part of my early childhood, and it's so weird seeing kids now look at them as relics :rolleyes:

I'll trade you a VHS copy of  Secret World of Alex Mack episodes for a VHS copy of some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episodes.