Beatiful voice and piece of music, tim.

Here's one of my favourite woman singers in a Händel-aria, because of the rhythm I never can keep my feet still when I hear this piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZwZnlfDaU

Yes, it is wonderful. I know it well but not in this performance. Handel weaves the two horn parts in and around the voice beautifully. I'm not sure I'd want to hear it in a counter-tenor version as is much more the fashion now.

• Like 3

...very down today...

:hug:

As I see it, Handel's belief in the essential goodness of mankind shines through all his music.

Edited by northie
  • Like 1

Tallis is right in the middle of the C16 English choral tradition which I can listen to for ever. He was writing religious music at an extremely dangerous time but whether he's writing in Latin, in English or in the stripped down new Protestant hymns, I find his music soothing for my soul and my mind. (And it's great to sing, as well.)

• Like 5

...very down today...

All beautiful music you posted, AC. The Tallis piece I didn't know: very comforting.

By now I'm used to your love for unusual performances ;) , so Bach on accordeon doesn't offend me ... much. I still prefer to hear the organ version, although the commitment of the accordionist makes up for the lack of pipes.

To cheer you up here's something I know will please you, for Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) is, like for me, a favourite of yours, I think.

It is the famous aria of Die Königin der Nacht (the Queen of the Night ... is that how she is known in English?) performed by the in 2014 deceased soprano Christina Deutekom, who was -chauvinist pig that I am- Dutch.

It is not her best performance in my opinion, but I couldn't find a better one online. She was famous for this aria alone and when you see the score you can see the almost impossible demands Mozart forces on the singer. The performance by Christina will always be high on my list of favourites, although that list is rather long.

https://www.youtube....h?v=YQpTGKXAxqA

• Like 3

...very down today...

First, I am sorry that your spirit is in ebb. For me that is very often a symptom of migraine.

Secondly, I must admit to a very bad habit. Rarely do I know the name or composer for the music I listen to. I usually ignore any actual words in the lyrics but rather listen to the flow of the sounds of voices and instrument. So it was with great delight that I listened to the Tallis hymn. I've enjoyed it for years without storing any identifiers in my brain, shameful I know but such is the case.

As to Bach on the accordion. I think it wonderful for a couple of reasons. Because the vibrations inherent in the immense sound of organs aggravates my migraines I avoid the instrument. I find the accordian softer. Then like the organs of old accordians produce their sound via airflow produced by a bellows. This sound is regulated by both a keyboard and a set of buttons that act very much like the stops and footpedals. So while an accordian may lack the depth and richness of an organ it does allow for bringing a similiar sound to smaller spaces.

Regardless thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

I've never been overly fond of violin music, but there is one exception... Max Bruch Violin Concerto op26 #1 in g minor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l38LBIHGyrs

Wonderful, masterful playing. It's not something I would pay to go and hear but I can certainly understand why it's one of the most popular concertos for the violin. 

Thanks for posting it.  :)

• Like 3

...very down today...

:(

I love music but I don't actually listen to much recorded music of any kind, it can make me melancholy especially "serious" music. So if you need cheering up how about Elizabethan Serenade by that world famous English composer Ronald Binge :P It was named after the accession of Queen Elizabeth in 1952 and has always been popular in Britain.

There was a reggae version by Boris Gardiner & the Love People but I won't mention that... :gikkle: This is a lovely arrangement by Czech composer Otmar Mácha. It's a dress rehearsal for a Christmas concert in Prague so while not technically perfect it is a delightful performance and the violinist is so sweet.

Hope this helps as a pick-me-up :)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 5

great thread :)

movie composers often get overlooked which is a shame. A while back an old French movie was on TV called La Nuit Americaine (Day for Night). The movie was fun, a bit weird, but I loved the soundtrack, composed by Georges Delerue

You're right Zombie .. i started thinking about that.. thought about John Williams Star Wars etc etc, Howard Shore (nice Canadian boy) LOTR and Silence of the Lambs, I loved the music in LOTR .. There's even some great music in the Harry Potter films ... 

• Like 4

If its choral music whether religious or secular I usually prefer boy choirs. One of my favorite pieces is "Going Home".

William Arms Fisher, a pupil of the Czech composer Antonin Dvorak, wrote the lyrics to and adapted the music to the theme of Dvorak's 2nd Movement (Largo) to the New World Symphony.

The version that I like is by the Czech Boys Choir. Unfortunately, it isn't available on line (AT least that I have been able to find). The only place that I have found it is on their 2003 album "Boni Pueri" (Good Boys).

There is a YouTube video of a Libera version which isn't bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzeLIoIveuA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Tomas
  • Like 3

If its choral music whether religious or secular I usually prefer boy choirs. One of my favorite pieces is "Going Home".

William Arms Fisher, a pupil of the Czech composer Antonin Dvorak, wrote the lyrics to and adapted the music to the theme of Dvorak's 2nd Movement (Largo) to the New World Symphony.

The version that I like is by the Czech Boys Choir. Unfortunately, it isn't available on line (AT least that I have been able to find). The only place that I have found it is on their 2003 album "Boni Pueri" (Good Boys).

There is a YouTube video of a Libera version which isn't bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzeLIoIveuA&feature=youtu.be

Oh i know this piece ..i hear it often on the station i listen to .. it is wonderful 

• Like 1

I know I love any kind of music according to the situation and my mood. But particularly I have a thin for violin from my childhood. I wanted to learn it but being overly cared by my parents and stuck with my studies, I never got the chance to learn it. But I love most(I don't know names particularly though) of the pieces. :D

Here there is been introduced/presented a lot of great and good songs/pieces of music. I haven't checked all, but will check them eventually. Thanks to everyone for their contributions... :)

• Like 5

You're right Zombie .. i started thinking about that.. thought about John Williams Star Wars etc etc, Howard Shore (nice Canadian boy) LOTR and Silence of the Lambs, I loved the music in LOTR .. There's even some great music in the Harry Potter films ...

I also love the music for LOTR - this is a selection of music for Rohan (film 2)

https://youtu.be/2IOyNjCSnf8

• Like 3

This is such a cool new thread!!!

I'm going to read every post when I'm back. Still, can't resist to post some of my own:

Dead composers/conductor both among my favorite:

• Like 4

I don't know much about this composer, except she lived through the trying times of revolution in Europe in the mid 19th Century. I bumped into a piano concerto of hers a few weeks ago, and then settled upon this overture from near the end of her life as intriguing and progressive (in a way I found her concerto not to be…)

Please listen if you have a few mins. Emilie Mayer – Faust Overture (1880)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGu3tntNoo

Sorry, took me a bit to get to this ...

Not a composer I've come across before. I liked the introduction particularly; the main section, I could have done with a little less figuration but the interjections of a hymn? chorale? or whatever were effective.

Thanks for that, AC.

• Like 1

This is such a cool new thread!!!

I'm going to read every post when I'm back. Still, can't resist to post some of my own:

Dead composers/conductor both among my favorite:

Great selection! There's a vid of a concert he did at the Musikverein circa 1988 performing piano concerto No. 17 and symphony No. 39 - both stellar! 

Thanks, Adi

• Like 1

great thread :)

movie composers often get overlooked which is a shame. A while back an old French movie was on TV called La Nuit Americaine (Day for Night). The movie was fun, a bit weird, but I loved the soundtrack, composed by Georges Delerue

I loved this, Zombie. It reminds me of 18th century French stage music, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Perhaps you know this music, perhaps not, but Delerue's score here put me in mind of the soundtrack for the film Orlando. (Quentin Crispt played Eliz. I, so you know it's luscious ;) )  

• Like 3

Tim and Peter

Handel is one of those composers I can't live without, especially his vocal / choral music although I still have much work to do on his operas. I shall probably be making more than one selection as we progress.

This is Emma Kirkby singing 'Sweet bird' from his oratorio L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjqx8rUUklg

This is a new piece to me, northie. I'll have to give it several listens; thanks for posting! 

• Like 1

This is part of the fun in such a forum thread as this; we get to discover one another through music. Like Ashi, my own taste is wide ranging. For today, let me share another piece that makes my heart sing...especially the third movement, which starts at 12.55.

It's a lovely performance, Parker. I think I will want to come back to this on some rainy wintry day to cheer myself up. Thanks for sharing and posting :) 

• Like 1

I know I love any kind of music according to the situation and my mood. But particularly I have a thin for violin from my childhood. I wanted to learn it but being overly cared by my parents and stuck with my studies, I never got the chance to learn it. But I love most(I don't know names particularly though) of the pieces. :D

Here there is been introduced/presented a lot of great and good songs/pieces of music. I haven't checked all, but will check them eventually. Thanks to everyone for their contributions... :)

Emi, feel free to add your comments to anything here, particularly if it's something you've tried and enjoyed. :)

• Like 1