I'm extremely fortunate. The area where I live has an extensive agricultural heritage. There are several of CSA's  A couple will even include meats and poultry by partnering with small scale producers of those items. Additionally we have nearly a dozen different farm markets and an abundance of roadside stands. In addition to veggies you can by homamde breads, pies and other baked goods.

My favorite way of using asparagus other than simply pan roasting is to break the stalks into about inch long pieces saute them in a bit of butter until just tender add two beaten eggs, a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste. When the eggs have set flip to finish cooking. Easy asparagus omelet.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, dughlas said:

I'm extremely fortunate. The area where I live has an extensive agricultural heritage. There are several of CSA's  A couple will even include meats and poultry by partnering with small scale producers of those items. Additionally we have nearly a dozen different farm markets and an abundance of roadside stands. In addition to veggies you can by homamde breads, pies and other baked goods.

My favorite way of using asparagus other than simply pan roasting is to break the stalks into about inch long pieces saute them in a bit of butter until just tender add two beaten eggs, a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste. When the eggs have set flip to finish cooking. Easy asparagus omelet.

That sounds yummy!! Is there white or green asparagus?

The farmers in this area grow green asparagus ... that's what folks here learned to eat as kids ... blanching the shoots to keep them white is too much extra work during a busy planting season.

• Like 4

So, today's adventure in the CSA box was Grilled Leeks & Asparagus. I served it with grilled chicken strips (pre-cooked frozen) & noodles (I used udon but fettuccine or linguine or ramen noodles would be fine).

Trim & clean the leeks & asparagus.  Pat dry then spread out on baking sheet.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with Kosher salt, toss to evenly distribute seasonings then put in 400 F. oven until vegetables are tender (~20 minutes)

Toss together the roasted vegetables, cooked noodles & the thawed & heated chicken.  Splash on some rice wine vinegar (haven't unpacked my balsamic yet) and top with freshly ground black pepper.

Took less than 30 minutes start to finish & was very tasty.  Much better than another trip through the drive through.

I probably should have cut off the green tops of the leeks, chopped them up and added them to the roasting pan just before the rest of the vegetables were getting tender as they cooked quickly and ended up a little tough & dry.

• Like 5

And this week from @Lyssa we have:

Kirschmichel (cherry-michael)

You need:

Butter and fine breadcrumbs to grease and flour casserole dish

750 g pitted cherries fresh or frozen or jarred  (3 cups approx.)

200 g left over white bread, cut in cubes (5 to 6 cups approx..)
200 ml milk                              (3/4 cup approx.)
4 eggs, separated
100 g butter                               (scant ½ cup)
100g sugar                                 (1/2 cup)
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla sugar or pure vanilla extract

Vanilla or chocolate sauce

Method:

Take a casserole and grease it with butter. As next step dust it with fine breadcrumbs, so the Kischmichel will not stick.

Mix the bread cubes with the heated milk and let it soak for ten minutes.
While it soaks, stir butter, vanilla sugar/ extract, and sugar, until it is creamy, then add the four egg yolks.

Then add the soaked bread cubes.

Whip the egg whites and salt, until they are at the stiff-peak stage.

Fold  the egg whites into the bread mixture.

Layer cherries and bread mixture alternately into the casserole. The cherries must be covered with the bread mass.

Put it into the oven by 325° for 50 minutes.

Add some pats of butter on top, ten minutes before it is ready.

It gets traditional served with vanilla or chocolate sauce.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4

This recipe is for my fav tool, The Instant Pot. While the recipe says to put the dry beans in. I've done that and still I prefer to soak overnight and then cook them in the Pot first. The beans out of this machine are glorious. 

As well, in my blog, I mentioned that this chili is not the gloopy stuff you get with packaged chili mix. It is fresh tasting and delicious. And no heartburn in sight!

I think that you could make this on the stove top but frankly i am a convert to the glories of pressure cooking.  Here is the recipie from the Toronto Star:

Chilis and stews are go-to meals for Instapot users since dried beans can be cooked in less than an hour without an overnight soak. This is an updated version of my turkey chili recipe with cocoa powder and coffee added in. It sounds odd but it gives the chili added depth and smoky flavour.

1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil

1 lb (450g) extra lean ground beef, chicken or turkey

1 medium yellow onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 red pepper, diced

1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels

1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste

2 tsp (10 mL) each, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, finely ground coffee

1 tsp (5 mL) each unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin

1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne

2-28 oz cans diced tomato

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 cup (250 mL) dried red kidney beans

Grated cheddar, parsley and sour cream, for garnish

Using Sauté function on “normal” setting, heat oil and sauté meat until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic. Stir until meat is browned and onions have softened, about 2 minutes.

Add diced red pepper and corn. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, coffee, cocoa, cumin and cayenne until incorporated. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add canned tomato (including liquid) with dried beans.

Secure lid on pot, making sure valve is on “Sealing” setting. Turn on “Bean/Chili” function and cook for 50 minutes on high pressure.

When time is up, allow natural pressure release, about 15 minutes. Remove lid and stir chili. If chili is to runny, turn on Sauté function to cook off excess liquid till chili reaches desired thickness.

Garnish with cheddar, parsley and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 to 10 servings.  By KARON LIU Food Writer / Toronto Star

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

And this week from @Lyssa we have:

Kirschmichel (cherry-michael)

You need:

to find out if your sister still has any of the kilos of cherries in her freezer you helped pit...

• Like 4
Just now, Bucket1 said:

to find out if your sister still has any of the kilos of cherries in her freezer you helped pit...

Yummy .. we can buy big huge dark cherries frozen.. i have  few.. but another  bag is needed.  YUM!!!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Bucket1 said:

What took you so long? :)

Well, not everyone has one.. or the money to buy one.. that's the reason. But I'm a bit pressed for time today and i love this chili..so sharing it was simple.

I freeze it and take it for lunch. It's all i need. I sent Peter the recipe.. and he said. "OMG uncle Tim.. this stuff is amazing!!"   

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yummy .. we can buy big huge dark cherries frozen.. i have  few.. but another  bag is needed.  YUM!!!

My hands were totally stained by the end if it. These were fresh, ripe and delicious. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

My hands were totally stained by the end if it. These were fresh, ripe and delicious. 

That's so great. I love food!!!!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

You would have loved these. 

I bet. I swear i go in the produce section and could weep over the huge fresh bunches of chard and all this gorgeous stuff.  Learn to cook, if you don't know how...try something new. Especially greens. i love them.  If you're going to eat.. oh do it well.  Eat real food. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I bet. I swear i go in the produce section and could weep over the huge fresh bunches of chard and all this gorgeous stuff.  Learn to cook, if you don't know how...try something new. Especially greens. i love them.  If you're going to eat.. oh do it well.  Eat real food. 

Now I am tried and hungry :)

We had bit of an incident at work today and evacuated 6 buildings - I missed out on lunch while chatting to the very nice policemen who were helping us out. Forgot all about lunch until coming home and the hunger pains kicked in

• Like 4
Just now, Bucket1 said:

Now I am tried and hungry :)

We had bit of an incident at work today and evacuated 6 buildings - I missed out on lunch while chatting to the very nice policemen who were helping us out. Forgot all about lunch until coming home and the hunger pains kicked in

Well hot cops can do that to ya ...  

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

I'm not sure this is quite the place to discuss it but OMG they were so much better looking than the firemen

It's okay to discuss here, because nothing beats lunch and something good to read :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

This recipe is for my fav tool, The Instant Pot. While the recipe says to put the dry beans in. I've done that and still I prefer to soak overnight and then cook them in the Pot first. The beans out of this machine are glorious. 

As well, in my blog, I mentioned that this chili is not the gloopy stuff you get with packaged chili mix. It is fresh tasting and delicious. And no heartburn in sight!

I think that you could make this on the stove top but frankly i am a convert to the glories of pressure cooking.  Here is the recipie from the Toronto Star:

Chilis and stews are go-to meals for Instapot users since dried beans can be cooked in less than an hour without an overnight soak. This is an updated version of my turkey chili recipe with cocoa powder and coffee added in. It sounds odd but it gives the chili added depth and smoky flavour.

1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil

1 lb (450g) extra lean ground beef, chicken or turkey

1 medium yellow onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 red pepper, diced

1/2 cup (125 mL) corn kernels

1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste

2 tsp (10 mL) each, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, finely ground coffee

1 tsp (5 mL) each unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin

1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne

2-28 oz cans diced tomato

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 cup (250 mL) dried red kidney beans

Grated cheddar, parsley and sour cream, for garnish

Using Sauté function on “normal” setting, heat oil and sauté meat until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic. Stir until meat is browned and onions have softened, about 2 minutes.

Add diced red pepper and corn. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, coffee, cocoa, cumin and cayenne until incorporated. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add canned tomato (including liquid) with dried beans.

Secure lid on pot, making sure valve is on “Sealing” setting. Turn on “Bean/Chili” function and cook for 50 minutes on high pressure.

When time is up, allow natural pressure release, about 15 minutes. Remove lid and stir chili. If chili is to runny, turn on Sauté function to cook off excess liquid till chili reaches desired thickness.

Garnish with cheddar, parsley and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 to 10 servings.  By KARON LIU Food Writer / Toronto Star

Ha, I just talked yesterday with B (my B  ) about making chilly, that is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, Lyssa said:

Ha, I just talked yesterday with B (my B  ) about making chilly, that is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

I love it.. and i bought big dark sweet frozen cherries today  and rhubarb

• Like 2