1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

How did it turn out Tim?

Kinda got put on the back burner ... I will try it though.. and post and update. Today didn't quite go the way i'd expected it too... sigh

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Kinda got put on the back burner ... I will try it though.. and post and update. Today didn't quite go the way i'd expected it too... sigh

:hug:Next time hun.

• Like 1

The cooler weather is here and I found a recipe for sumac encrusted lamb with carrot smash. I might try it with a medley of roasted vegetables and then take the leftovers to work on Monday. I will let you know how it goes.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

The cooler weather is here and I found a recipe for sumac encrusted lamb with carrot smash. I might try it with a medley of roasted vegetables and then take the leftovers to work on Monday. I will let you know how it goes.

Sounds nice!

1 hour ago, Bucket1 said:

Oh, my gosh, I love both lamb and sumac! Never thought of putting them together, yum 

• Like 2

Over the weekend, my cousin fixed dinner for everyone, and it was great. The dish that stood out was a medley of different types of Carrots. Orange, Yellow, and Purple colored ones. She oven roasted them, is a butter sauce, but I swear it tasted like she grilled them. Aside from not knowing Carrots come in a variety of colors, and not just orange, each had a unique flavor and was really good. I've had the leftovers now for two days.

• Like 2
On 5/5/2017 at 11:13 AM, Mikiesboy said:

I was just thinking .. a bag of bread flour is $10 (big bag)  a loaf of half decent bread is $3.00+ .. make your own bread folks.  

Buy yeast in the jar instead of packets and keep it in the fridge. Three packets of yeast, 1/2 oz, about $1 here. Jar of yeast, 4 oz, about $3. I keep it in the fridge and it lasts about 2 years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Over the weekend, my cousin fixed dinner for everyone, and it was great. The dish that stood out was a medley of different types of Carrots. Orange, Yellow, and Purple colored ones. She oven roasted them, is a butter sauce, but I swear it tasted like she grilled them. Aside from not knowing Carrots come in a variety of colors, and not just orange, each had a unique flavor and was really good. I've had the leftovers now for two days.

Sounds delicious! I do sometimes a variation with carrots, turnips, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and parsley root. Mixed with olive oil, salt, pepper garlic and rosemary. In the oven for 20 minutes 200°C

2 hours ago, DynoReads said:

Buy yeast in the jar instead of packets and keep it in the fridge. Three packets of yeast, 1/2 oz, about $1 here. Jar of yeast, 4 oz, about $3. I keep it in the fridge and it lasts about 2 years.

Or make your own sour dough starter instead…  ;-)

Says the guy from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Edited by Former Member
Just now, droughtquake said:

Or make your own sour dough starter instead…

My husband has his own sour dough starter and he bakes the most delicious bread ever. It is not difficult, if anybody wants to know, I can write a introduction, or maybe droughtquake will? :)

Just now, Lyssa said:

…or maybe droughtquake will? :)

I’m no baker. My favorite Aunt used to have a sour dough starter, but she grumbled about needing to take care of it and she got tired of the taste after a while…

I’m lazy. I just buy my sour dough bread (local bakery, paper bag; not the in-store bakery version, and definitely not sealed in a plastic bag!) when I go grocery shopping.

55 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

My husband has his own sour dough starter and he bakes the most delicious bread ever. It is not difficult, if anybody wants to know, I can write a introduction, or maybe droughtquake will? :)

I've done that, but I make bread maybe once a week, so the tending of the starter gets tedious.

• Like 1
Just now, DynoReads said:

I've done that, but I make bread maybe once a week, so the tending of the starter gets tedious.

How often did you tend to it? We do it once a week or, if we go on a journey, we mix it up with flour to crumbs, so it gets preserved. There is also the possibility to freeze it, if you don`t have time.

4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Got a confession. I asked her how she made the Carrot dish. Turns out it was a premade side from Sam's Club. :blushing: Was still good.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, BHopper2 said:

Got a confession. I asked her how she made the Carrot dish. Turns out it was a premade side from Sam's Club. :blushing: Was still good.

Sounded good, so I googled orange, yellow and purple carrots roasted in butter sauce, and this came up. Looks tasty...

https://simplyfreshdinners.com/2015/03/roasted-tri-color-carrots.html

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lyssa said:

How often did you tend to it? We do it once a week or, if we go on a journey, we mix it up with flour to crumbs, so it gets preserved. There is also the possibility to freeze it, if you don`t have time.

I think it was a couple times a week, been a few years since I tried it. Also I mostly use a bead machine, since I was given one as a gift, and I still have to add yeast.

Edited by DynoReads
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, DynoReads said:

I think it was a couple times a week, been a few years since I tried it. Also I mostly use a bead machine, since I was given one as a gift, and I still have to add yeast.

Ok, we don`t use a bread machine so I am not familiar with this things. We bake or bread on a special stone in the oven.

4 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Sounded good, so I googled orange, yellow and purple carrots roasted in butter sauce, and this came up. Looks tasty...

This really looks tasty. It is very similar to what I wrote and you could add a lot of different veggis just in the mix. And if you put some chicken, right on top in the oven. There would be a complete very easy meal. :)

5 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

23 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

This really looks tasty. It is very similar to what I wrote and you could add a lot of different veggis just in the mix. And if you put some chicken, right on top in the oven. There would be a complete very easy meal. :)

That recipe does look good. The Sam's Club premade one was really good. I was totally shocked it was store bought. A good alternative, I guess, seeing as it was feeding 16 people.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Oh, my gosh, I love both lamb and sumac! Never thought of putting them together, yum 

I thought the same when I saw the recipe. I just hope it will taste as good as I think it will

Edited by Bucket1
15 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Purple carrots are yum and mixing the colour s would have looked great.

Not sure how reliable this is but apparently purple was the norm until someone grew orange ones for the House of Orange. The Dutch favourites then concurred the world.