[dkstories] Doing It Right - Chapter 9

Another great chapter from Dan! :worship:

I love it when he takes on the bigots and bible-thumpers! woot! woot!

:D

I'm really sad about Jeremy, though. It seemed like he was finally starting to come out of his shell just a little bit when he asked Davey about his old dirt bike and wanting to go riding ... and then later in the office when Davey's father mentioned that he only had a few months left to live ... that was just ... depressing.

It also sickens me how people could be so prejudiced against someone who contracted HIV through a blood transfusion (not that they should be prejudiced against anyone who has contracted HIV, but that's just the absolute worst) ... it reminded me a lot of the Ryan White tragedy, and how he was ostracized by his school and community. Elton John became good friends with Ryan White toward the end of his life, performed at his funeral, and a quote from Elton's song "Skyline Pigeon" is on Ryan's tombstone. Elton also said that his friendship with Ryan is what caused him to wake up and decide to get clean and sober, as well as starting up the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the largest privately-run AIDS organization in the world. So, good things can come out of bad things, and Ryan White's death wasn't in vain.

Geez, I wouldn't want to change anything.

It's already bad enough as it is. ^^

No seriously, Mitterand had the gut to abolish Death Penalty against a majority and if only for that I wouldn't want any other president in 1981.

As for De Gaulle, well... he had his flaws and I disagree with a lot of his views but all in all, I think he set France in a not too bad path so... thx but no thx I won't write Davey does France anytime soon. =^^=

:angry:

Another great chapter from Dan! :worship:

I love it when he takes on the bigots and bible-thumpers! woot! woot!

:D

I'm really sad about Jeremy, though. It seemed like he was finally starting to come out of his shell just a little bit when he asked Davey about his old dirt bike and wanting to go riding ... and then later in the office when Davey's father mentioned that he only had a few months left to live ... that was just ... depressing.

It also sickens me how people could be so prejudiced against someone who contracted HIV through a blood transfusion (not that they should be prejudiced against anyone who has contracted HIV, but that's just the absolute worst) ... it reminded me a lot of the Ryan White tragedy, and how he was ostracized by his school and community. Elton John became good friends with Ryan White toward the end of his life, performed at his funeral, and a quote from Elton's song "Skyline Pigeon" is on Ryan's tombstone. Elton also said that his friendship with Ryan is what caused him to wake up and decide to get clean and sober, as well as starting up the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the largest privately-run AIDS organization in the world. So, good things can come out of bad things, and Ryan White's death wasn't in vain.

Ohhhh migawwdd....... wasn't that the truth! :2thumbs:

The confrontation......... Between davey, his dad against the bigotic a**hole and the religious freaks. I love this chapter. Everytime dan gives us a confrontation, i find my heart thumping faster. reading, taking sides, hoping, worrying and, finally, smiling. Because Davey wins once again. just the way I like it.

MAGNIFICENT JOB DAN!! :worship:

My blood boils when I read Rule Sr. abused Sean and hired people to brainwashed him. Even went so far as taking pictures of Davey. I was momentarily worried that Davey's sexual preference was known. Good thing it's not. Because I'd hate to see another smug smile on that b**tard's face :angry:

Add Flores to the mix and we have a CONSPIRACY!!! Religious freaks and bible thumper extraordinaire! i still remember her doing in DO1. Hate her since that. She even has the guts (as oppose to balls 0:) ) to demand things from davey's dad and to refer to the Secret Service as "goons". Tchah!

When she went all balistic because jeremy was there I hope davey's dad would just had her confined. Along with Rule Sr. But when cavalry's coming.... :lmao::lol: I was smiling BIG. Gotcha! They made enemies with the WRONG family.

Needless to say, I NEED chapter 10. PLEASE! DAN! :P

Cheers!

Rad

The confrontation......... Between davey, his dad against the bigotic a**hole and the religious freaks. I love this chapter. Everytime dan gives us a confrontation, i find my heart thumping faster. reading, taking sides, hoping, worrying and, finally, smiling. Because Davey wins once again. just the way I like it.

My blood boils when I read Rule Sr. abused Sean and hired people to brainwashed him. Even went so far as taking pictures of Davey. I was momentarily worried that Davey's sexual preference was known. Good thing it's not. Because I'd hate to see another smug smile on that b**tard's face :angry:

Add Flores to the mix and we have a CONSPIRACY!!! Religious freaks and bible thumper extraordinaire! i still remember her doing in DO1. Hate her since that. She even has the guts (as oppose to balls 0:) ) to demand things from davey's dad and to refer to the Secret Service as "goons". Tchah!

When she went all balistic because jeremy was there I hope davey's dad would just had her confined. Along with Rule Sr. But when cavalry's coming.... :lmao::lol: I was smiling BIG. Gotcha! They made enemies with the WRONG family.

Cheers!

Rad

Well, as I have said so many times before Dan you never have disappointed me with a story or chapter for that matter. I am also happy to see Davey and his dad defeat the dark side and I too am ready for chapter 10. Please hurry. thanks once again for a fine chapter in a fine saga.

This was an awesome chapter!!!!

I loved the party, and the 100 candles on the cake make me laugh out loud!!!

I guess Davey's Dad now knows (or at least suspects) that Davey's friends know his secret?

Then, there is Sean... Just getting things worked out with Brandon, and now this! OUCH!

I loved Davey's quick thinking in calling Mary Lou. I really loved seeing Flores and the kidnappers deflated!

The big question now is: What next? This wasn't really a cliff-hanger, but it's darn close, as there are HUGE questions remaining! What will become of Sean? How will Davey's father react once cooled down? He did after all want Davey to keep his orientation secret, and can't have liked the idea of his family being under observation, especially with the time-travel angle.

Yes my first thought was of him and the Ray brothers and what happened to them. It was a horrible time and believe it or not the ignorance was unbelievable.

Cheers!

Rad

I don't know about that because Rule Sr. sure implied that Davey was. Also I worry about the fact that Rule Sr. seemed to say that their were plans to protest at the school tomorrow. That would mean that Jeremy will be outed to the community and it is wide spread knowledge among those that you want to know about it the least. As to your conspiracy comment, think about the conversation when Flores said they had discussed the whole thing earlier at church. I think there is one on a number of fronts. Remember also in the background has been dad pissing off the more fundamental of the churches in the area and it makes me wonder if something is up.

This chapter sounds like it bodes ill for Davey and company. Rule Sr. intimated that he knows Davey's secret and has stated that they plan to release the information on Jeremy. I hope Dan can figure out a way to circumvent their plans.

Anyway that is my two cents

Edited by Ghstwolf62

The bigger question I have is, why isn't Jeremy on AZT? In the other DO timelines, he got the information out. I presume that one of those letters was about AIDS and how to control it, wasn't it?

It is said that Jeremy is too young to be on the batch of "testers" of the "new medecine" they're developping.

Chapter 6 :

Do you also understand that he’s going to die? Not tomorrow, not even next week, but he could become symptomatic anytime in the next few years, and while there’s a drug in testing, but because he’s a teenager, he’s not likely to receive it for at least a year

Even with Davey's help a drug MUST takes yearS to get developped. This isn't a cake recipe.

We're in 1984 early 85 (I hope I'm right ^^;) at this point of the story. This is 3/4 years earlier than the real date AZT was released.

Edited by Xandra Kitee
It is said that Jeremy is too young to be on the batch of "testers" of the "new medecine" they're developping.

Chapter 6 :

Even with Davey's help a drug MUST takes yearS to get developped. This isn't a cake recipe.

We're in 1984 early 85 (I hope I'm right ^^ ;) at this point of the story. This is 3/4 years earlier than the real date AZT was released.

The thing about AZT is that it was actually first synthesized in 1964 as an anti-HIV drug. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZT) That's why it was able to make it to market so quickly.

I didn't catch that part of it being on trial now, though.

It was wonderful to see a rematch between Margaret Flores and Mary Lou Hacker!

There are indeed questions for the future of Sean, but it seems like his parents are not likely to be part of the plans, so no matter who he's placed with as an alternative, Sean is likely to have a pretty happy time for the next few years.

If a public stink is raised about Jeremy and AIDS, well--the confrontations with the conservative Modesto school board provided fescinating conflicts to drive the story in DO1, and the uniting of our forces fighting the good fight can only be a Good Thing in the long run.

Part of me wonders if Sean as scientific genius (and resident high-school wonk, geek, tool, or whatever the appropriate mid-1980s California slang term is) can't devise something like Nevirapine for a high school Independent Study Project (working with Dr. Grayson as an adjunct teacher) and offer it to Jeremy as a private science fair experiment. Even though Jeremy has nothing to lose, such a plan probably violates too many ethical safeguards for them to get away with it. Ah well...

Thanks, Dan, for another great chapter. And may your computations for work always run smoothly.

--Rigel

The thing about AZT is that it was actually first synthesized in 1964 as an anti-HIV drug. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZT) That's why it was able to make it to market so quickly.

I didn't catch that part of it being on trial now, though.

By released I meant authorized for treating AIDS cases. A lot of molecules exist but you don't use them randomly on people. ^^

Edited by Xandra Kitee

Maybe a stink will be raised at school because of Jeremy, causing Elton John to get involved sooner, get clean and sober sooner, and thus starting his battle against HIV/AIDS sooner, joining the fight with Davey, his dad, and sparing Ryan White a lot of grief in a few years! That would rock! :2thumbs:

Cannt your people live without the need of a priest who always tell them what to think or to do, like the most of us do in Europ ?

If you think of countries like Ireland and Poland (first example in my mind) I don't think they're so exempt of religious influences. Not to mention Greece where the mention of the religion was supressed of the identity card ONLY in 2001.

I think that the hum idea of "communities" is much more stronger in USA because its population comes from such different places. And religion is something that bonds people strongly. It's not always a bad thing either. Sometimes it's more about solidarity than brainwashing because all churches are not House of Bigotry and Intolerance.

• Site Administrator

Great chapter. it's really nice to see Davey's dad being what a Christian is supposed to be.

The interesting point is once more the connection between Flores and the various churches.

For an European, it is hard to imagine (and understand !) the power of the different churches in the States, the power which comes from the believers and not the priests.

Is'nt it that the State is separated from the Church as it is in Europ ? or is USA a theocratic country ?

Cannt your people live without the need of a priest who always tell them what to think or to do, like the most of us do in Europ ?

In many parts of Europe, religion plays an even larger role in government. For example, in the UK, the head of the Church of England also happens to be the Head of State (the Monarch). In Italy, for example, the Catholic Church plays quite a role in government. The concept of the separation of Church and State is relatively new in Europe, and is basically an idea that was imported from America. In America, the separation of Church and State is codified in our constitution.

Sadly, though, there are many on both sides of the U.S. political spectrum who seek to ignore the rights written into the constitution. The example seen in DIR is, sadly. not at all far fetched, and things are getting worse here in that regard.

In many parts of Europe, religion plays an even larger role in government. For example, in the UK, the head of the Church of England also happens to be the Head of State (the Monarch). In Italy, for example, the Catholic Church plays quite a role in government. The concept of the separation of Church and State is relatively new in Europe, and is basically an idea that was imported from America. In America, the separation of Church and State is codified in our constitution.

France began to separate church and state 220 years ago (priests were forced to pledge allegiance to the Republic. Not the best way but still... Not to mention than since Fran

Great chapter. it's really nice to see Davey's dad being what a Christian is supposed to be.

What struck me the most was the huge difference in Davey's Dad as seen in DO! Back then, it was he who was in league with Flores and her ilk....