Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

What is the (x) in the Tab trying to tell me?

Former Member
Go to solution Solved by Myr,

Occasionally, seemingly at random, one of my browser tabs will show a digit in parenthesis preceding the page’s title. Logically, it should indicate an update (such as a new chapter on the Newest Stories page or a new notification on my Notifications page). But it’s inconsistent with the number appearing when there are sometimes no updates or not appearing when there are updates. It’s usually accurate on the Notifications, but not elsewhere.

I’d love for the digit to let me know when to check the tab and not have it waste my time when I’m in the middle of reading something.

• Site Administrator
  • Solution

Usually notifications... but background tabs are updated at different rates based on browsers and other factors.  (like battery saving). 

So you might have cleared the notification in your active window but the background tab is out of synch.

• Like 2