Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Open Club  ·  139 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

The Tack Room

Valkyrie

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, LitLover said:

This Tack Room is a happening place.  I think we have a lot of horse lovers in the GA crowd :) 

Yes, I'd say so!  I wasn't expecting this level of response! :D I think it's great :D  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I started out in hunter/jumper, then went to college and earned a bachelor's degree in Equine Studies and gained experience in lot of other disciplines, including dressage, western, competitive trail riding, and combined driving.  I spent a year in Arizona working for a team roper, exercising the horses, taking care of all the barn chores, and horn-wrapping the calves and operating the roping chute.  From there I moved back to New York state and worked at a world-class eventing barn, where I learned a lot more about dressage, cross country jumping, and show jumping.  Then I moved back to my hometown and worked for five years as the assistant riding director of a hunter/jumper barn and also taught therapeutic horseback riding.  So I have experience in quite a few different disciplines.  Right now I would say my main passion would be dressage, even though I'm not currently riding.  I have a bad back and have put on a few pounds since quitting the industry, so I'm not physically capable of riding right now, although I hope that changes in the future. :) 

What discipline do you ride, Lyssa?  

I hope you will be back in the saddle again!

I started riding "English style" like we call it here, it is mostly dressage and jumping. When I got my own horse and saw that she would never be a dressage horse, I started long distance riding (do you call it like this in English?) And I ride her Spanish classic style.

My mum was a primary school teacher and started a farm in her school, that was, when I first started giving riding lessons. I had some pretty good trainers. Went to France to train horses, came back, studied veterinarian, got sick, changed to history of art/ history always training horses and giving lessons to provide my studies at university. While working for a magazin and doing my ph. D. I realized, that I missed the kids and the animals in my life and that they are more important to me, then getting a science book done. Seven years ago I decided to make an education for animal assisted therapy and education. Since then I work as a teacher with this back ground ability. Lucky for me my boss new, what she would get, if she hires me, she knew my mum. ^_^

So mostly if I work with horses, it is with the heavy traumatized kids from my classes at our stable. The horses are very healing.

Time for my own riding became rare. But now and then a ride through the meadows and forest.

• Site Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

I hope you will be back in the saddle again!

I started riding "English style" like we call it here, it is mostly dressage and jumping. When I got my own horse and saw that she would never be a dressage horse, I started long distance riding (do you call it like this in English?) And I ride her Spanish classic style.

My mum was a primary school teacher and started a farm in her school, that was, when I first started giving riding lessons. I had some pretty good trainers. Went to France to train horses, came back, studied veterinarian, got sick, changed to history of art/ history always training horses and giving lessons to provide my studies at university. While working for a magazin and doing my ph. D. I realized, that I missed the kids and the animals in my life and that they are more important to me, then getting a science book done. Seven years ago I decided to make an education for animal assisted therapy and education. Since then I work as a teacher with this back ground ability. Lucky for me my boss new, what she would get, if she hires me, she knew my mum. ^_^

So mostly if I work with horses, it is with the heavy traumatized kids from my classes at our stable. The horses are very healing.

Time for my own riding became rare. But now and then a ride through the meadows and forest.

Long distance riding is called either endurance riding or competitive trail riding.  There are different regulations for each.  I did a 25 mile competitive trail ride in college.  It was so much fun!  Isn't teaching therapeutic riding amazing?  It's what led me to pursue my degree in speech pathology.  I'd love to do it again sometime. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Long distance riding is called either endurance riding or competitive trail riding.  There are different regulations for each.  I did a 25 mile competitive trail ride in college.  It was so much fun!  Isn't teaching therapeutic riding amazing?  It's what led me to pursue my degree in speech pathology.  I'd love to do it again sometime. :) 

It is absolute amazing. It is the thing, where I feel so content with. Never made a better decision in my life.

• Site Administrator
Just now, Lyssa said:

It is absolute amazing. It is the thing, where I feel so content with. Never made a better decision in my life.

We had a big warmblood mare that could be a nightmare to ride.  She was very spooky and didn't like to yield to the rider's aids.  She was the one I fell off of four times... lol  Well I fell off her a lot more than four times... :unsure:  She was a good jumper, though as long as she didn't spook at the fence and stop.  Anyway, she was also very cranky and was known to bite and kick.  Well, in the therapeutic program we had a group of autistic men come for lessons and I was short horses, so decided to use her.  One of the guys started grooming her and pretty soon her head was just about on the floor, she was so contented.  Anytime me or a volunteer came near her, her head would raise and her ears would go back.  lol  So we let them be and she was an absolute angel.  Once he was mounted, this mare who was so unyeilding to our best riders took every step very deliberately, bent around the corners, and held herself in a perfect frame.  All in a halter and reins.  No bit.  It actually brought tears to my eyes to see the change in this horse.  My boss was watching from the lounge and I could see by the look on her face I was going to be in trouble for using this horse, but once she saw the transformation in the mare, I was applauded for using her.  She turned out to be one of my best therapeutic riding horses.  It's amazing how they just 'know'. :)

• Like 3

• Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Oh, it is almost 2 a.m. around here. I must get some sleep, the morning will be there soon. Thanks for creating this place Val. :hug:Good night.

Good night and thanks for all your thoughts!  It's been fun! :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

We had a big warmblood mare that could be a nightmare to ride.  She was very spooky and didn't like to yield to the rider's aids.  She was the one I fell off of four times... lol  Well I fell off her a lot more than four times... :unsure:  She was a good jumper, though as long as she didn't spook at the fence and stop.  Anyway, she was also very cranky and was known to bite and kick.  Well, in the therapeutic program we had a group of autistic men come for lessons and I was short horses, so decided to use her.  One of the guys started grooming her and pretty soon her head was just about on the floor, she was so contented.  Anytime me or a volunteer came near her, her head would raise and her ears would go back.  lol  So we let them be and she was an absolute angel.  Once he was mounted, this mare who was so unyeilding to our best riders took every step very deliberately, bent around the corners, and held herself in a perfect frame.  All in a halter and reins.  No bit.  It actually brought tears to my eyes to see the change in this horse.  My boss was watching from the lounge and I could see by the look on her face I was going to be in trouble for using this horse, but once she saw the transformation in the mare, I was applauded for using her.  She turned out to be one of my best therapeutic riding horses.  It's amazing how they just 'know'. :)

It is amazing! I had the luck to experience similar situations and got overwhelmed. We are lucky people, to get to see this. :) Good night. Thanks for this awesome conversation. 

• Site Administrator

Here's the question for today:  

What's a time when you really connected with a 'troublemaker' horse?

I'll give one example.  I had a friend when I was college who worked at a Christian camp.  They had a stable and some horses and offered trail rides to campers who were interested.  So I went with her a few times to help out.  One of the ladies that worked there was a bit rough around the edges and not very gentle with the horses.  There was a black thoroughbred mare who was not having a good day.  She was very worked up and anxious and looked like she needed a good run to get it out of her system.  She wasn't safe for campers to ride in this condition, so rough lady rode her.  It was very clear she didn't know how to handle a hot thoroughbred.  She sawed on her mouth with the western curb and the poor mare was in a lather by the time we got back from the trail ride.  My friend asked me if I'd ride the horse, and I glady said yes to get her away from this horrible lady.  She turned out to be a quite lovely horse.  She was so sensitive, all I had to do was put a feather touch on the reins and she responded.  She got very anxious at the foot of one hill and wanted to run up it, but it wasn't safe to, so I held her back until the rest of the horses were safely up the hill.  She didn't like it and bucked a few times, but since I was in a western saddle, I wasn't going anywhere. lol  That seemed to get some of her energy out and she was much better after that.  All she needed was someone to help calm her down and tell her it was ok.  Not someone to fight with her and rev her up.  Oh and we also checked her tack to make sure nothing was bothering her.  I think she just was being a thoroughbred... full of energy.  I got lots of dirty looks from the other lady, BTW.  I think she was jealous because she knew I could ride circles around her. ;)  

• Like 3

I guess it started for me with a pony stallion, my teacher wanted me to ride, when I was 10. He was very sensitive and so a lot of other kids had problems with him. Since then I have a record in riding the horses no one else wants to ride. Until I met my horse (Avatar) ex racing horse, dominant as hell, but we matched from the start. It was love of first sight for both of us. Now I stop, or I will never, because she is the best and most beautiful ... I stop. LOL

26 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I'll give one example.  I had a friend when I was college who worked at a Christian camp.  They had a stable and some horses and offered trail rides to campers who were interested.  So I went with her a few times to help out.  One of the ladies that worked there was a bit rough around the edges and not very gentle with the horses.  There was a black thoroughbred mare who was not having a good day.  She was very worked up and anxious and looked like she needed a good run to get it out of her system.  She wasn't safe for campers to ride in this condition, so rough lady rode her.  It was very clear she didn't know how to handle a hot thoroughbred.  She sawed on her mouth with the western curb and the poor mare was in a lather by the time we got back from the trail ride.  My friend asked me if I'd ride the horse, and I glady said yes to get her away from this horrible lady.  She turned out to be a quite lovely horse.  She was so sensitive, all I had to do was put a feather touch on the reins and she responded.  She got very anxious at the foot of one hill and wanted to run up it, but it wasn't safe to, so I held her back until the rest of the horses were safely up the hill.  She didn't like it and bucked a few times, but since I was in a western saddle, I wasn't going anywhere. lol  That seemed to get some of her energy out and she was much better after that.  All she needed was someone to help calm her down and tell her it was ok.  Not someone to fight with her and rev her up.  Oh and we also checked her tack to make sure nothing was bothering her.  I think she just was being a thoroughbred... full of energy.  I got lots of dirty looks from the other lady, BTW.  I think she was jealous because she knew I could ride circles around her. ;)  

Sort of related... I had a barn friend who bought a big, classy old-style quarter horse. God he was gorgeous, and he had that coppery glint you don't often see. Anyway, this guy was having trouble because the horse wouldn't take its left lead. We were out on trails, and the horse was dropping its shoulder all the time and would go around corners counter cantering, and unbalanced the rider a few times. Long story short, the guy was getting pissed... he didn't know this horse, and he wasn't taking the time to learn. We walked back to the barn and I said there had to be a reason, and he looked in pain. This 'friend' said he was just stubborn, so when we got back, he took him into the arena, and started working him... it was a disaster... he lost it, and finally let me take over... one minute in the saddle and I could tell his back was hurting. I went and got my Stuebben, and resaddled him. It took about three tries, and he popped into his left lead... I did it about ten times just to show his owner... but he was exhausted so I didn't work him hard... he was pleased and sheepish... he really wasn't a bad guy, and he learned that day there is always a reason for a horse's behavior. He sold his saddle and got a bigger one, and used extra padding, and the horse was fine... very kind and willing. Not every saddle fits every horse...  :) 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Since there's so many horse people on the site, I thought it might be nice to have a place where we can share stories/memories/experiences we've had with our four-legged friends. I'd love to see pics and hear about others' equine companions. :)  

I'll start off with a question:  What's the most times you've fallen off in a single lesson/day?  

My lessons or the horses?  Fell off twice in one lesson when I was a beginner, both my stupid mistakes.  I quickly learned the true meaning of "Look up, stay up, look down fall down".

Three times when training a huge QH ( the first one I ever taught to carry). First day I backed him was great.  Second day he was antsy right from the go and tossed me three times before he settled down.

21 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I think it's time I revealed a huge secret about me... dun Dun DUN!!! :P

I may be a born 'n raised Texan, but I've never actually ridden a horse. :o (well, except for that one time in Mexico when I was 12 goin' on 13, lol). In my defense, I was, and still am a nerd who finds almost all outdoor activities to be a huge "Nope!" for me. :lol: 

However, I have been toying with the idea of actually taking horse-riding lessons, so do any of you know what is the price for adult lessons? :) 

Around here (NJ) prices vary from about $30 up depending on the reputation of the stable and trainer.  Ask for references, watch them teach, and ask questions.  Most riding schools have lesson cancellation policies too, so be prepared to call if you can't keep a lesson.

21 hours ago, Headstall said:

This really happened and shows my stupidity... after my gelding was broke, I did everything with him, and he got used to all kinds of stuff... so I decided one day to see if I could do a running mount from behind, just like in the movies. I had an old western with a low cantle, and my gelding wasn't very tall then... he only ended up at 15 2... I start at a run, put my hands on his rump... nope, not what your thinking... he stayed dead still and I overshot the saddle and put precious cargo right on the horn... I don't think I've ever felt such pain... I rolled off onto the ground with a bunch of other boarders around me... <shudder>  still hurts to think about it :unsure: 

:facepalm:

21 hours ago, Headstall said:

It varies Drew, but do some research... you want an instructor that knows their stuff... too many pretenders out there trying to make easy money :yes:  I know because I've taught after some of them, and had to return to basics... 

I have also had lots of students I have had to "unteach".

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Like others have said, it varies.  I would guess the $30-60 range, but do your research on the instructor and stable first.  And wear a helmet.  Even if you are riding western.  It's too easy to get a head injury.  I had a helmet save my life once, and that was after I'd been riding for about ten years.  We don't want anything to happen to our Pi-boy! :hug: 

20 hours ago, Lyssa said:

So what style do you all ride? Gary rides western, as I read out of what he wrote.

What they said!  I have shown western pleasure, and my stetson stayed on the fence post, my helmet on my head for the duration.  The stetson only went back on long enough for pictures if I won.

59 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I am the one at our barn everyone calls when having issues with the horses.  I am not sure which one I would call a troublemaker. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no such thing as bad behavior, it is the horse trying to tell you something.  I tell my students I am not teaching them to ride, anyone can teach them to sit on a horse and look pretty. I am teaching them to communicate, to "Speak Horse".

18 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Sort of related... I had a barn friend who bought a big, classy old-style quarter horse. God he was gorgeous, and he had that coppery glint you don't often see. Anyway, this guy was having trouble because the horse wouldn't take its left lead. We were out on trails, and the horse was dropping its shoulder all the time and would go around corners counter cantering, and unbalanced the rider a few times. Long story short, the guy was getting pissed... he didn't know this horse, and he wasn't taking the time to learn. We walked back to the barn and I said there had to be a reason, and he looked in pain. This 'friend' said he was just stubborn, so when we got back, he took him into the arena, and started working him... it was a disaster... he lost it, and finally let me take over... one minute in the saddle and I could tell his back was hurting. I went and got my Stuebben, and resaddled him. It took about three tries, and he popped into his left lead... I did it about ten times just to show his owner... but he was exhausted so I didn't work him hard... he was pleased and sheepish... he really wasn't a bad guy, and he learned that day there is always a reason for a horse's behavior. He sold his saddle and got a bigger one, and used extra padding, and the horse was fine... very kind and willing. Not every saddle fits every horse...  :) 

This is what I meant! That horse was hollering "OUCH!"

Sorry for the huge post. I just found the thread!

• Like 3

• Site Administrator
59 minutes ago, Headstall said:

My first day at the ranch I worked on in AZ, my boss and his wife were showing me his best roping horse and telling me how he was having some difficulty with him.  Well it took me all of five minutes to pinpoint the problem, even with my boss on the horse's back.  This poor horse had withers like a hat rack and the saddle was pressing right down on them.  I can only imagine how much pain this poor horse was in.  He ended up ordering a saddle that actually fit, thank god.  I won't get into the rest of his idiocy now, but you are so right, Gary.  There's always a reason for behavior... it's our job to figure out what it is.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

In Canada we have (or maybe used to have :huh: ) competitive pace trail rides.... this where you follow a long course through all kinds of terrain... over water... through brush... up steep hils, etc. As you ride, you come across signs which tell you which gait to use... so if it says jog... you jog until you see the next sign( no matter whether you'r going over water etc) ... if you see lope, you lope, and if you see extended trot you do that... and of course  there's always hand gallops that test's riders' limits. The difficulty is added to by the fact you go in teams... and the winner is the team who comes in closest to a predetermined time. You have to have a very willing horse... I won my first one with my very novice partner, and we returned the next year to win again... they are a blast! Th rides usually span about four to five hours.

• Like 2

• Site Administrator
34 minutes ago, Kitt said:

I have also had lots of students I have had to "unteach".

Oh yes!  I can't tell you how many students I had that that were jumping at other barns, and I wouldn't even let them canter until they learned the basics. :facepalm: 

I am the one at our barn everyone calls when having issues with the horses.  I am not sure which one I would call a troublemaker. I am a firm believer in the idea that there is no such thing as bad behavior, it is the horse trying to tell you something.  I tell my students I am not teaching them to ride, anyone can teach them to sit on a horse and look pretty. I am teaching them to communicate, to "Speak Horse".

Yes, most definitely!  That's why I put 'troublemaker' in quotation marks. ;)  

Sorry for the huge post. I just found the thread!

No problem!  I'm glad you're here :D  

• Like 1

• Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, Headstall said:

In Canada we have (or maybe used to have :huh: ) competitive pace trail rides.... this where you follow a long course through all kinds of terrain... over water... through brush... up steep hils, etc. As you ride, you come across signs which tell you which gait to use... so if it says jog... you jog until you see the next sign( no matter whether you'r going over water etc) ... if you see lope, you lope, and if you see extended trot you do that... and of course  there's always hand gallops that test's riders' limits. The difficulty is added to by the fact you go in teams... and the winner is the team who comes in closest to a predetermined time. You have to have a very willing horse... I won my first one with my very novice partner, and we returned the next year to win again... they are a blast! Th rides usually span about four to five hours.

Sounds like fun!  In competitive trail riding, there is an optimum time and you are penalized if you finish too early or too late.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valkyrie said:

Sounds like fun!  In competitive trail riding, there is an optimum time and you are penalized if you finish too early or too late.  

OMG Val, I could talk about horses for days and days... great idea, but I'm going to have to ration myself :) 

• Like 1

We have both competitive trail riding and something we call a hunter pace.  Split what Gary did into two separate divisions.  The specified gates, obsticles etc are the comp trails, and a path with spaced out jumps ( with bypasses for western riders/ those who don't wish to jump) for optimum times.

• Like 2

• Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Headstall said:

OMG Val, I could talk about horses for days and days... great idea, but I'm going to have to ration myself :) 

I totally understand.  I could go on and on and on too, but yes... rationing will have to happen if I have any hope of getting anything done. lol Glad to have you here, though.  I love hearing everybody's stories. :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I totally understand.  I could go on and on and on too, but yes... rationing will have to happen if I have any hope of getting anything done. lol Glad to have you here, though.  I love hearing everybody's stories. :) 

One more story... meant to be both uplifting, and informative. My first show horse was my first horse... he was the two year old I spoke of. He didn't start out a show horse... but we did everything for fun. I don't know who taught who more... he ended up being high-point performance horse many years in a row... we competed both English and Western... anyway... one day I arrived at my boarding barn and found him dead lame. I found out later there was a bonfire party at 'the Ranch' and there was a bet about who was faster... my horse or Wimpy... two drunken idiots ending up racing them in the dark, and my horse, who apparently won, ended up with a fractured coffin bone... I'll spare you some rather gory details... but they paid for what they did... anyway, his injury was why I studied and became a farrier(blacksmith) ... fifteen months later... the best vet in our province... a race horse vet... agreed to see him because he wasn't getting better... after x-rays, he told me there was over-calcification and he would never be sound and he recommended putting him down... I never even considered doing that... I just had me a big dog. I didn't give up, though... I alternated stall rest with short hand walking to keep him from getting stocked up... and two months later, the limp was no longer discernible... I continued for another month, afraid to get my hopes up... finally, I put him on a longe line and let him jog... NO LIMP!  The next day I walked him while riding bareback, and continued for about a week. The day came I saddled him and rode him along a trail... it was a reasonable distance, and we arrived home and he was sound... he was NEVER lame again, and this horse went on to be that show horse, jumping, reining, pleasure, trail... everything. So, the moral? Never give up!! And experts only know so much. There is more to his health adventures but I'll leave that for another time. 

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..