What movie would you like to see rebooted/re-imagined?

Movie revival is a common thing now, some really good and others doing extremely bad.

The worst atrocities are like Charlie and the Chocolate factor, Depp's version was horrible compared to Wilder's version at least in my view, the characters were bland, songs were weird, and there was really know whimsy to it.

However, despite that, I thought Beauty and the Beast's revival was good in live action, sure it's no where near as good as the classic cartoon movie, but what can you do.

For me as a classic Science Fiction fan, I'd love to see a revival of some movies that were close to being near classics, but just lacked something. To me what epitomize this need for a reboot/revival is movies like Flight of the Navigator.

Here's a review for those to remember this old movie:

Does anyone else think some other movies deserve a reboot to fix their flaws and make them better?

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Flight of the Navigator can certainly do with a modern makeover. While I love the original, there's a lot in it that has become dated.

Another movie that could do with a reboot is The Last Starfighter. The original came out about the same time as Star Wars but it was lost in the glare of the better known movie. Concept-wise, I think it could be as good as Star Wars, but it needs the cringe worthy parts fixed.

• Like 2

I'd love to see a reboot of the first Superman movie without the silly ending and with less of the boring flying above New York with Lois Lane.

Spoiler

The silly ending I'm talking about is of course turning back time by rotating earth backwards. :facepalm: 

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

I recently watched "Little Manhattan" with Mickey. The movie is always enjoyable, but I thought there were a few "awkward" scenes that could be edited or fixed.

Another one that I feel should be rebooted is an lgbt short film on YouTube (about 13 minutes long), about two boys in Sweden contending with the loss of their relationship as one of them prepares to move to Stockholm. I found this film to be very enjoyable, until Imdb informed me that one of the lead actors was actually a girl. :/ While I have no issue with female actors playing male roles, in this instance, I felt that it killed the mood. :( Also, a few of the English captions could use a spell check. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmnLac1Kxo

9 hours ago, Graeme said:

Flight of the Navigator can certainly do with a modern makeover. While I love the original, there's a lot in it that has become dated.

Another movie that could do with a reboot is The Last Starfighter. The original came out about the same time as Star Wars but it was lost in the glare of the better known movie. Concept-wise, I think it could be as good as Star Wars, but it needs the cringe worthy parts fixed.

Last starfighter could use a new makeover,

Also, the 1980's DeLoreans need to come back in any remake of this movie (we should call Marty and Doc Brown). It's one of the only other movies outside back to the future that I can remember a Delorean being used.

As for Superman 1, @Timothy M. leave Lois and Clark alone, unless you are re-imagining superman in a relationship with Jimmy Olsen, then sure change the flying scenes from New York to Paris :lol:

I agree the ending was a Deus ex Machina, there was no reason to go back in time and as far as I know only a few members of the Justice League can do it, namely Flash, but never Superman..

Aas for Little Manhattan, I've never seen it @Page Scrawler, care to share a trailer.

• Like 2

An interesting topic - I kind of like some very old films and have always liked the British actor Dirk Bogarde. He had a long film career and played roles in films such as Victim (1961), a film that influenced the decriminalization of homosexuality. He also most notably starred in Death in Venice (1971), but we are talking about remakes (bringing an old movie up to date). I would like a modern version of The Spanish Gardener (1956), it is a film from a bygone era, from the book by AJ Cronin, and it creates an atmosphere that somehow conveys that perhaps more is going on than that which is actually stated. The film is a classic, dealing with a boy's relationship with his somewhat unsuccessful father and their Spanish gardener (Dirk Bogarde).

• Like 2

If you want to do a challenge, I'd say I'd lay down the gauntlet to all the young LGBT aspiring writers and directors to be on here:

Some one please re-imagine Maurice, one of the great modern Gay love stories of the 20th century. The movie was a good story for its time, but the acting is tepid and timid for a majority of the film (until the ladder scene that part needs to be kept in, but for pete sakes' add a dream sequence or something for Maurice to show his desires, being in the closet does not mean you must be that sexually repressed).

• Like 2

The Last Airbender is in serious need of an overhaul. M. Night Shyamalan really took this train and wrecked it. Epically. There are too many changes from the original story, and it's nothing like the series.

On 2017-07-16 at 11:14 AM, William King said:

I would like a modern version of The Spanish Gardener (1956), it is a film from a bygone era, from the book by AJ Cronin, and it creates an atmosphere that somehow conveys that perhaps more is going on than that which is actually stated. The film is a classic, dealing with a boy's relationship with his somewhat unsuccessful father and their Spanish gardener (Dirk Bogarde)

Thanks for this William, I liked the film. I don't think that I've ever seen Dirk Bogarde before, but I thought it strange that he played a Spanish gardener with a perfect English accent. I'm sure that it would be different in a re-make, but nice story and a happy ending.

• Like 2