The Half-Elven Warlock: An Urban Fantasy Tale

Some real life places are used in this story.

Amtrak Auto Train, and it's route

Burger King

The Florida House

SCOTUS

Capitol Hill

Saint Albans School, is the school that Saint Mithras is based on.

• Like 2

From the Worldbuilder's thread, in the Writer's Club.

The Half-Elven Warlock

It's our world, as of April 2017. BUT!!! Add in another realm, the Fairie, a fantastical realm that in habits the same time/space as Earth, but it's slightly out of phase. They have Magic, and Demons, and Living Gods, and all manner of Fantastical Creatures that are myths and legends in the real world. Parts of the Fairie Realm, and Earth touch creating crossover points. Magic bleeds over to Earth, and critters can go across to either realm. That's the Foundation of the world, then I added in other elements.

1. The Agency - International Earth based Organization that keeps magical threats from crossing over. They have death camps, for beings captured that don't cooperate.

2. House Anfalas - Rulers of the Fairie people, but are in exile because of the Demon Horde that sacked the castle.

3. The Vatican Accords - treaty signed between Fairie Representatives, and Earth Govts that allow a framework of governance. <Redacted> is how they stay in effect. (:P)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Going to be doing some RetCon work on the Prologue, and the First Chapters before the next installment comes out. Had some glaring errors pointed out to me, and I agree it would be best to address those before continuing.

RetCon = Retroactive Continuity.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Going to be doing some RetCon work on the Prologue, and the First Chapters before the next installment comes out. Had some glaring errors pointed out to me, and I agree it would be best to address those before continuing.

RetCon = Retroactive Continuity.

Does that count as a portmanteau?  I like it whatever.

Edited by Sam Wyer
OMG - spelling, what is wrong with me? Don’t answer.
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

Does that count as a portmanteau?  I like it whatever.

I think it would. I know it's something that Marvel, DC, and tons of RPG companies have used over the years, to explain changes in the storyline and changes between editions of the same settings.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

I think it would. I know it's something that Marvel, DC, and tons of RPG companies have used over the years, to explain changes in the storyline and changes between editions of the same settings.

Cool - I’d never heard it before.

• Like 2

Chapter 2 has been RetConned. Chapter 3, I'm doing edits on still and will send it off as soon as possible. Chapter 4 will stand as is.

A word about Chapter 2. It now has significant changes to it from the previous version.

I'm hoping these RetCon changes will help in further chapters.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

The changes don't change the story that much do they? 

Overall no. They do, frame things in ways I hadn't thought. Like the original prologue made Shad'ler out to be a complete uncaring dick. Which he isn't. Misguided, but not a dick.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Overall no. They do, frame things in ways I hadn't thought. Like the original prologue made Shad'ler out to be a complete uncaring dick. Which he isn't. Misguided, but not a dick.

Is he misguided?  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Is he misguided?  

He is misguided, somewhat with how he handles his two half-elven sons. Chapter 3 discusses it somewhat, and I'm revising that in RetCon.

• Like 1
Just now, BHopper2 said:

He is misguided, somewhat with how he handles his two half-elven sons. Chapter 3 discusses it somewhat, and I'm revising that in RetCon.

LOL .. he's a parent, they can only do their best. Granted it maybe harder when you're not human and can live here and there.  I'm sure it will all work out. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

LOL .. he's a parent, they can only do their best. Granted it maybe harder when you're not human and can live here and there.  I'm sure it will all work out. 

Very true, and I'll definitely be needing the help of the editing team, to make sure I get the parent parts right. LOL. I'm not a dad, though I helped raise a couple of other people's kids. I have no clue what to do as a dad.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Very true, and I'll definitely be needing the help of the editing team, to make sure I get the parent parts right. LOL. I'm not a dad, though I helped raise a couple of other people's kids. I have no clue what to do as a dad.

oh i'm sure you would... no one has an idea at the start ... i feel like one of Peter's dad's ...

• Love 1

RetConed Chapter 3 is off for an Author Review. Then, to the editing and beta team.

Once that's done, I'll be back on track to finish this story. Still planning 2 final chapters and an Epilogue.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, BHopper2 said:

RetConed Chapter 3 is off for an Author Review. Then, to the editing and beta team.

Once that's done, I'll be back on track to finish this story. Still planning 2 final chapters and an Epilogue.

Looking forward to more A. Hope the writing is going smoothly! 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Looking forward to more A. Hope the writing is going smoothly! 

Thanks, tim. I went a little off script, but so far the new direction is working a lot smoother. It was advice from my great Editor @Kitt, and fantastic fellow author @Mikiesboy, that pointed me in the new direction.

I was looking for a way to bring in the Assassin from chapter 1, and you guys pointed me towards an answer. Also, been doing a lot of worldbuilding for the Fairie.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

Thanks, tim. I went a little off script, but so far the new direction is working a lot smoother. It was advice from my great Editor @Kitt, and fantastic fellow author @Mikiesboy, that pointed me in the new direction.

I was looking for a way to bring in the Assassin from chapter 1, and you guys pointed me towards an answer. Also, been doing a lot of worldbuilding for the Fairie.

That's great news!  Talking about things with others helps a lot.  When i'm stuck AC always says I can bounce ideas off him. Others have helped me before... Lyssa, who isn't a member anymore but is still a friend, still helps me. So does @mollyhousemouse, @MacGreg has helped too.  I think we need to remember that while writing is a lonely job, your friends can really help you. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

That's great news!  Talking about things with others helps a lot.  When i'm stuck AC always says I can bounce ideas off him. Others have helped me before... Lyssa, who isn't a member anymore but is still a friend, still helps me. So does @mollyhousemouse, @MacGreg has helped too.  I think we need to remember that while writing is a lonely job, your friends can really help you. 

And I appreciate what you guys did for me a lot. 

• Like 2