Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Cheating? Academic dishonesty?

DynoReads

I think there have been teachers prosecuted for cheating on STAR tests (changing answers on completed tests) and others have been fired. There have been major scandals involving systemic cheating in schools or even school districts. Of course, the reasons for the deception was different because it involved funding and teacher pay, but the principle is the same.

I agree that the real victims are the kids.

Thanks Everyone. Even if I went to the principal, nothing will happen. I previously reported support services for giving extra support note listed in the education plan. Nothing came of it.

• Sad 3

• Site Administrator

That is so frustrating! Sounds like they need to talk with the staff about not being mommies. It's something we say a lot at work (and I've always been the mean mom to push my kids to be independent and self-advocate anyway). Special needs students don't always need to get good grades or get a pass handed to them because that doesn't help them face the reality that they have to work harder than others just to keep up and always will. In my high needs SIS program this week, I had to verbally review a test with a group of 5 students, and we went off who knew the answer and agreement from the others, or we looked it up in the notes I took and provided each one to paste into their course notebooks as well as the unit study guide--but all the students who stayed in the class were allowed to take the test open book as well. But other times, when our SPED kids are taking measurement assessments, we offer no assistance because we have to know what they know--not just give them a pass or "lead" them to the right information.

• Like 5

• Site Administrator

While it is probably cheating, it depends on who owns the test and who takes responsibility for passing this information on. I remember being told of a teacher at my old school (back in the 70s) who spent several periods going through practise questions with the students, with a test to follow. The test was exactly the same questions...

The teacher in question said it wasn't something they could do very often, but it was a deliberate decision on their behalf to do what they did. It was their students, their subject, and their responsibility to make sure the students learnt the material.

Regarding what the student aides did, if they did it with the teacher's blessing, and if it wasn't for external qualifications (ie. it was an internal test set by the teacher), then, no, it's not cheating. However, that's a lot of ifs. That's why I said it's probbaly cheating, but it's not certain.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 3