The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

Football ... it's always been called football. The oldest football clubs were found in the 1700's.   The earliest references to the game being played are from the 1300's.  Football... not soccer.

Yeah, us Americans have to do things differently.

49 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

They did get Snowflake Preachy by the end, and the change from Christmas to New Year's day was because of that too. The new showrunner is proving to be an SJW activist. They need to keep politics out of entertainment.

Couldn't agree less. :P There has never been, nor will there ever be apolitical entertainment. People don't just stop having opinions when they create art. On the contrary, how you feel about something is integral to the process of telling a story, be it through writing, music, painting, or film.

I haven't finished the new season yet. Have had too much on my mind. Really liked Jodie Whitaker, I think she's a fantastic Doctor, though I agree Chibnall's writing leaves something to be desired. Not cause he's political—sorry to break it to you, but Doctor Who has always been blatantly political—but because he's just not that good a show runner. With any luck, he'll get better, though.

EDIT: Also, they didn't do a New Year Special because of 'snowflake preachy SJW' stuff. They did it because they were out of ideas for Christmas themed specials and wanted to do something new. Whomever told you that must have been some crazy conspiracy theorist, because there really is NO 'war on Christmas' in the UK. They don't even say Happy Holidays. 

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Couldn't agree less. :P There has never been, nor will there ever be apolitical entertainment. People don't just stop having opinions when they create art. On the contrary, how you feel about something is integral to the process of telling a story, be it through writing, music, painting, or film.

Redacted

Apologies to all 

Edited by Starrynight22
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

31 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

TOTALLY AGREE. 

art is a reflection of life.  Life isn't a vacuum

Entertainment reflects values and though I don't watch that show I do know it's long been considered a show that isn't afraid to confront controversial issues. 

Sometimes the argument that entertainment or celebrities be apolitical remind me of people who demand  religion be taught in school but then balk because they only wanted a particular kind of religion.  Just because something isn't your own view doesn't necessarily make it worthless. 

Exactly. Telling someone to keep politics out of their art is most of the time actually telling them to keep politics I disagree with out of their art.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Angry 1

Just now, Thorn Wilde said:

Exactly. Telling someone to keep politics out of their art is most of the time actually telling them to keep politics I disagree with out of their art.

Omg if only I lived in your country.   The longggggg coffee filled convos we could have. 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

78 views. 1 comment,and it's negative.  I feel almost as if it wasn't worth posting 

Don't let it get you down. It's New Year's day, everyone's hungover. :P I made the mistake of posting new stuff right around Christmas. Hard not to get a little down when no one seems to read and no one comments, but it's really just cause they're all busy. 

2 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

Omg if only I lived in your country.   The longggggg coffee filled convos we could have. 

No reason we can't have long conversations regardless. PM me some time. :) 

• Site Moderator

I just have to share this This song, which I absolutely loved as a kid, playing on the radio right now.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Love 1

I leave this place to you. i'm tired of the DiC and the people in it .. suddenly it's all defensive and opinionated.    i opened it as a place for people to talk and discuss things. Not to be shouted down, put down and slapped for having a thought and idea. 

i dont want to be in my own home anymore ....enjoy.   i shall go and do what i should be doing and write.

• Love 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

I leave this place to you. i'm tired of the DiC and the people in it .. suddenly it's all defensive and opinionated.    i opened it as a place for people to talk and discuss things. Not to be shouted down, put down and slapped for having a thought and idea. 

i dont want to be in my own home anymore ....enjoy.   i shall go and do what i should be doing and write.

The heart is because I agree with you.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Football ... it's always been called football. The oldest football clubs were found in the 1700's.   The earliest references to the game being played are from the 1300's.  Football... not soccer.

Football fits the sport better than it does "American football".  You actually play it primarily with your feet!

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

No reason we can't have long conversations regardless. PM me some time. :) 

That's why they invented Skype!

• Like 2

Let's not start off the new year with divisiveness. This is tim's chat forum, not the debate club. Differences are applauded here, but be f"cking respectful about it, not abrasive. Put it in a PM if you can't.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Let's not start off the new year with divisiveness. This is tim's chat forum, not the debate club. Differences are applauded here, but be f"cking respectful about it, not abrasive. Put it in a PM if you can't.

You're very correct. 

My apologies to all. 

• Like 3

• Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, Starrynight22 said:

I don't think I've ever heard this before.  Thanks. 

you're welcome. I can remember playing the record with this song on it, over and over. Funny though, I only remember this song...Could it have been a '45? Hmm...

• Like 1

d3cf96c49815fc35a4a3c732450b8b22.jpg

2 hours ago, MacGreg said:

Well said, thank you, and I'm sorry my part.

3 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I'm really sorry if I crossed a line, it was completely unintentional and I just let myself get carried away... :( 

Like tim said, we talked, it's all good.

52 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i love the mix of people here ... all of us ... let's just move on... we cannot choose our family but we can choose each other.

Same here. Love ya, Brother.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

i love the mix of people here ... all of us ... let's just move on... we cannot choose our family but we can choose each other.  @BHopper2 and @Reader1810

this includes you also as you both PMd me.

Me too, tim, me too. :) 

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..