The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

Morning, DiC! Ear hurts less today. Yay!

So yesterday flatmate's mum said she couldn't keep puppy, cause it was too stressful. So puppy's coming back this afternoon. It's been less than two weeks of wonderful quiet... Flatmate's looking into rehoming her now, permanently if need be. I feel bad for her, but I feel worse for puppy. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

44 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Morning, DiC! Ear hurts less today. Yay!

So yesterday flatmate's mum said she couldn't keep puppy, cause it was too stressful. So puppy's coming back this afternoon. It's been less than two weeks of wonderful quiet... Flatmate's looking into rehoming her now, permanently if need be. I feel bad for her, but I feel worse for puppy. 

Have you considered doing her training? Lots of work I know but it needs doing, no matter where the pup lives. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Have you considered doing her training? Lots of work I know but it needs doing, no matter where the pup lives. 

It's not my dog, and I really don't have enough surplus energy to do it. I've been the strict one the whole time, but it doesn't help much when flatmate is such a pushover. We've tried crate training, we've tried leaving her in the bedroom by herself for a couple of hours every day, and she's pretty quiet when we're at home, but she can tell when we're not. Flatmate even got a puppy cam with a speaker so she can talk to her via and app on her phone. It spits out treats, too. Hasn't changed anything, but then flatmate hasn't really been consistent either. It's very frustrating, and it's tough having to babysit someone else's pet all day when I'm home, though the alternative is much worse, having her bark in her room all day. Might get easier now that boyfriend is here. He has more experience with dogs.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

It's not my dog, and I really don't have enough surplus energy to do it. I've been the strict one the whole time, but it doesn't help much when flatmate is such a pushover. We've tried crate training, we've tried leaving her in the bedroom by herself for a couple of hours every day, and she's pretty quiet when we're at home, but she can tell when we're not. Flatmate even got a puppy cam with a speaker so she can talk to her via and app on her phone. It spits out treats, too. Hasn't changed anything, but then flatmate hasn't really been consistent either. It's very frustrating, and it's tough having to babysit someone else's pet all day when I'm home, though the alternative is much worse, having her bark in her room all day. Might get easier now that boyfriend is here. He has more experience with dogs.

Maybe BF (will you give him a name one day...poor BF!!) can demo to flatmate or FM ..lol, what to do with doggy?  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Kitt said:

OK, now I have this picture in my mind of this hulk all scrunched over with his head against the floor peeking under the sofa with one eye and getting his nose either licked or nipped for the effort!

Well, from what He told me that's about right ...lol .. i mean when i met the dog he was 17lbs and would go on doggy tears around the place.. i guess he did that as a pup too. Michael said He was always afraid he'd step on him or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

LOL!  It always amazes me when I see people walking these tiny dogs and they are pulling and straining at the leash.  If I can walk a 2,000 lb draft horse on a leash without a problem, why can they not teach a tiny fur ball to walk nice?

• Like 4

Just now, Kitt said:

LOL!  It always amazes me when I see people walking these tiny dogs and they are pulling and straining at the leash.  If I can walk a 2,000 lb draft horse on a leash without a problem, why can they not teach a tiny fur ball to walk nice?

people think tiny dogs don't need training .. Ripley walked nicely on his leash. He was carried for a few weeks when Michael got him because .. i'm not exactly sure .. something to do with heartworm and the pup not being old enough to get the vaccine. So Michael paper trained him and the vet told him not to let him on the ground where there are other dogs till he was old enough for the vaccine.. or something like that.  But after that.. he was a dog and he walked. 

But after that Ripley unpaper trained himself and refused to use them...and always 'told' you when he needed to go out. He'd bring your shoes or sit on the top step and whine at you.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Buddy and Jake, both golden retreivers, would bring the leash and drop it in your lap.  I have no idea where they picked that up from, but we swear Jake, whom we got from the same breeder about 3 yrs after Buddy passed, was Buddy reincarnated. He was home for all of three hours the first time he pulled the leash off the doornob and dragged it to me, tripping every step of the way. He was 9 weeks old at that point.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Maybe BF (will you give him a name one day...poor BF!!) can demo to flatmate or FM ..lol, what to do with doggy?  

He didn't want me to use his name. :P We'll think of something eventually.

7 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

people think tiny dogs don't need training .. Ripley walked nicely on his leash. He was carried for a few weeks when Michael got him because .. i'm not exactly sure .. something to do with heartworm and the pup not being old enough to get the vaccine. So Michael paper trained him and the vet told him not to let him on the ground where there are other dogs till he was old enough for the vaccine.. or something like that.  But after that.. he was a dog and he walked. 

But after that Ripley unpaper trained himself and refused to use them...and always 'told' you when he needed to go out. He'd bring your shoes or sit on the top step and whine at you.

This is exactly the problem, yes. I mean, she has tried to train her, but puppy gets away with stuff no big dog would ever get away with. People think it's okay because 'oh, it's such a little dog!' but that just isn't how it works. It's doubly important, I think, to be strict with a small dog. Puppy thinks he's the alpha in our pack, and that's just not right. The humans have to be the alphas. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Ugh, puppy always pulls at the leash when I walk her. Again, it's the small dog thing. A big dog you'd train out of that behaviour immediately. Small dog, people don't bother. It's sad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Ugh, puppy always pulls at the leash when I walk her. Again, it's the small dog thing. A big dog you'd train out of that behaviour immediately. Small dog, people don't bother. It's sad.

As amusing as it can be to watch a horse pull a supposedly experienced handler around by force, it really is not a safe situation.  What a lot of little dog owners don't realize is that if pup makes a sudden lurch forward at the wrong moment they could get the leash out of your hands, or if you are on a slipery surface like ice or snow knock you off balance. No safer for a 5 lb pup to behave that way than a draft horse,  its just different consequences possible.

• Like 4

Fly-by hello.

School going well, just been Hell the past couple of days.

Even though I went to the fitness center yesterday, I may end up back there again today. It's great stress relief.

Later Tatters.

Edited by BHopper2
  • Wow 2

8 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Fly-by hello.

School going well, just been Hell the past couple of days.

Even though I went to the fitness center yesterday, I may end up back there again today. It's great stress relief. .

Later Tatters.

Part of that is really unnecessary to post here.  I'm sure you know what I mean. 

Edited by MichaelS36
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Part of that is really unnecessary to post here.  I'm sure you know what I mean. 

True. It was meant more of a joke.

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, Kitt said:

OK, now I have this picture in my mind of this hulk all scrunched over with his head against the floor peeking under the sofa with one eye and getting his nose either licked or nipped for the effort!

That's exactly right. That dog used to drive me nuts when he was a puppy. My mom got him because she thought I was lonely.  Hell, this was before tim, I wasn't exactly celibate.  I was a cop, I worked shifts, I had a few boys on the go (she didn't know that) and then she gives me a puppy!!  Christ. LOL   Luckily I had a couple of friends who helped out. 

Edited by MichaelS36
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

True. It was meant more of a joke.

Was it. 

On that note. I'll take my leave. Good afternoon. 

Edited by MichaelS36
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, I posted something inappropriate earlier, and I apologize for it.

It has been deleted.

A personal apology to tim and to Mike, for posting that here.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Kitt said:

1 hour ago, MichaelS36 said:

That's exactly right. That dog used to drive me nuts when he was a puppy. My mom got him because she thought I was lonely.  Hell, this was before tim, I wasn't exactly celibate.  I was a cop, I worked shifts, I had a few boys on the go (she didn't know that) and then she gives me a puppy!!  Christ. LOL   Luckily I had a couple of friends who helped out. 

best giggles i've had all day :gikkle:

thank You Michael Sir, and Kitt

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Even though I went to the fitness center yesterday, I may end up back there again today. It's great stress relief.

I was glad to hear you're using a fitness center.  It is good for working off stress.  I wish we had a viable one closer than 25 miles away.  I used that one for a year, but having to drive that far tends to defeat the purpose.

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..