The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

22 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Hi, Def! Good to see you! :) 

Goodnight, DiC. I’ve swallowed half a pharmacy and am gonna try to get some sleep. Take care, all! ❤️

Oh dear, feel good soon Thorn.  Sleep well. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Site Moderator
27 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Hi, Def! Good to see you! :) 

Goodnight, DiC. I’ve swallowed half a pharmacy and am gonna try to get some sleep. Take care, all! ❤️

Good night Thorn...happy dreams 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MacGreg said:

I have a friend in Norman who is pretty worried about it all.

Hope they stay ok. This is the kind of lead-up we had to the May 3, 1999 Bridge Creek-Moore; and the May 20, 2013 Moore systems.  Norman is only ~9 miles from Moore, straight line.

If we get lucky, nothing big will fire off - but anything that does start to grow will grow very large, very rapidly.

Ick is still wearing me out.  Don't know if I should try to go in tomorrow and come home at noon, or just stay home. Home = garage; work = large structure with shelter. Thankfully, this town sits in some odd spot -- most storms seem to skirt just to the North of us or just to the South of us -- unless they're heading almost straight East.

• Like 5

• Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

@brayon New name threw me.. So what if I’m a little behind..lol. 

Good night, my dears.. Sleep well. xo

Good night Def...happy dreams 

• Like 2

Woke up early to a weather alert on my phone and couldn't get back to sleep because of joint pain from the storms moving in.

Campus here was closed last night about 11pm last night [UTC -5]; the University in Norman was closed much earlier in the afternoon. Threat risk for tornadoes and thunderstorms has increased and expanded. First Severe Thunderstorm warning has already been issued for the Panhandle. Biggest threat here sounds like it's going to be flooding -- parts of this area of the state could see 6"+ in the next 24-hrs. Max hail size has been increased from tennis-ball to baseball size.  Keep all of us here in the state in your thoughts.  Tornado risk in the SW part of the state is a 10/10 -- which is a category they almost never use. Severe weather here probably won't start until early afternoon, then rain will keep going through tomorrow morning early.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Wow. That's crazy. I've never seen weather like that first hand.

Trust me when I say you never really want too.

The woman who works the front desk sends out an email at the beginning of storm season -- primarily for the benefit of our international students, some of whom can get really freaked out by our weather -- trying to explain the difference between a "Watch" and a "Warning" and that, even in days like today, keep calm and just pay attention to the weather forecast and what the sky is looking like, as well as where the shelters on campus are and what to do if the sirens [which are essentially air-raid sirens] sound.

Edit: One of the reasons a lot of schools have closed today isn't just the risk of weather today but because today is the 6th anniversary of the May 20th Moore tornado when both the Briarwood Elementary and Plaza Towers Elementary schools in Moore were hit directly, resulting in 7 deaths at Plaza towers (mostly students). That single tornado had a 17-mile / 27km long track and was, at its largest, 1.3m / 2km wide. Day ended with 24 deaths (+2 indirect deaths) and 212 injuries.

Edited by Fae Briona
Edit: schools
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

those days happen here in Central Texas too Fae and can be tense & scary. stay alert, stay safe

Not sure how far south this system is going but hope you're spared the weather.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Not much, tbh, but I’m muddling through. How about you? 

Sorry you're not feeling much better.

Rains have started, area of most severe weather has expanded again; going to be a long long day.

Round 1 has passed.  Will have a couple of hours of calm before round 2 moves in

Edited by Fae Briona
Update
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fae Briona said:

Sorry you're not feeling much better.

Rains have started, area of most severe weather has expanded again; going to be a long long day.

Round 1 has passed.  Will have a couple of hours of calm before round 2 moves in

Hope it doesn’t get too bad. Stay safe! 💚

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Hope it doesn’t get too bad. Stay safe! 💚

Round 2 - tornadoes - is starting in the SW part of the state. It's very cool in this part of the state (just 64F / 18C) which is a good thing. The storms popping up at the moment are individual cells, which is what you DON'T want to see. The storms that are starting are going from small to "oh crap" very quickly. I'm hopeful that there won't be anything too severe here, but there WILL be something(s) bad in part(s) of the state. That is pretty much guaranteed.

Good news is they've been saying for three days that the weather was going to be this way. It's why almost every school in Central and Southern OK was closed today, and one of the reasons we have comparably few tornado deaths.

Edit:  tornadoes starting to spin up to the West of us; we're OK here at the moment but I'm concerned about my parents / brother in the NW part of the state. Nothing tornadic there at the moment but lots of high wind and hail.

Edit: 5 active tornado warnings in the state at the moment

Edited by Fae Briona
Update
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

We've been really lucky here so far. In Round 2 when the warm front moved through it fired up just to the West and North of us. Still concerned about family in NW Oklahoma.

Next round is storms starting to fire up on the Texas state line in the SW part of the state that will move to the NE.

Storm1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

Bedtime for this guy. Night, DiC! Take care of yourselves and each other.

sleep well Thorn

i'm headed to bed soon too. we got late notice that Number Two's indoor percussion unit was being honored at the school board meeting tonight, that was cool. then a bunch of the kids & parents went to Dairy Queen for burgers & ice cream.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:27 PM, Defiance19 said:

@brayon New name threw me.. So what if I’m a little behind..lol. 

Good night, my dears.. Sleep well. xo

Sorry, I missed this Agent D. I'm posting on other websites now, and wanted uniformity.

Edited by Brayon
  • Like 4

Campus is closed today due to wide-spreed flooding; the County has been under a Flood Warning since 5:04am.  We've had an additional 2" since midnight and it could rain for another 3 hours. Not sure on the overall totals that it will be about 6" in 24-hrs. I have co-worker who is at a friends because they couldn't get home yesterday, and another I've not heard from yet this morning that was worried about flooding last night. I'm ok, but my neighborhood is on a hill.

Small tornado yesterday through a town where a couple of my cousins live, but they're ok.

Update:  finally heard from my co-worker. The water stopped rising before it got to her apartment door, so she's ok. Dept. Head had a couple of trees topple (probably a combination of high wind and extremely wet soil) but damage to his house is superficial.

Edited by Fae Briona
Update
  • Like 2
  • Wow 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..