Open Club  ·  137 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

Just ordered my 60 inch electric fireplace for my family room. I will build it into a reclaimed wood wall in a seven foot long box(covered in vertical reclaimed wood) that will stick out six and a quarter inches... with a 60 inch TV over it. I'm going to build a seven foot long+ mantle as well, and I think there will be a space between the box and the mantle, but I'll see. :) 

• Love 4

Hi All! :hug: Good Morning from Chiang Mai!!

Sorry I haven't been around much the last two days, but I got caught up in a new book.  I can highly recommend it, but with the caution that it is a raw and powerful tale of racial bigotry and homophobia.  It ends on a hopeful note, but is a difficult read emotionally.  I can't even write a review yet, because I have to deal with the overwhelming emotions before I can do that.  It will get a 5 star.  It has a lot of reviews already and they are all 5 stars.  If you're interested it is Finding Good Trouble by Ronyx.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Headstall said:

Just ordered my 60 inch electric fireplace for my family room. I will build it into a reclaimed wood wall in a seven foot long box(covered in vertical reclaimed wood) that will stick out six and a quarter inches... with a 60 inch TV over it. I'm going to build a seven foot long+ mantle as well, and I think there will be a space between the box and the mantle, but I'll see. :) 

Howdy Gary! :hug: Sounds like you are very busy.  I I like the description of the fireplace.  One of my good friends had one and really loved it.  It does look like a real fire.  The only thing I missed was the smells of burning fir, cedar or alder.

• Love 4

Just now, raven1 said:

Howdy Gary! :hug: Sounds like you are very busy.  I I like the description of the fireplace.  One of my good friends had one and really loved it.  It does look like a real fire.  The only thing I missed was the smells of burning fir, cedar or alder.

I used to have two airtight woodstoves in this house... one up and one down... but they were too much work and mess, and there was a problem with insurance... a waiver was needed... but yeah, there was nothing like that kind of heat.

• Love 4

16 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Hi All! :hug: Good Morning from Chiang Mai!!

Sorry I haven't been around much the last two days, but I got caught up in a new book.  I can highly recommend it, but with the caution that it is a raw and powerful tale of racial bigotry and homophobia.  It ends on a hopeful note, but is a difficult read emotionally.  I can't even write a review yet, because I have to deal with the overwhelming emotions before I can do that.  It will get a 5 star.  It has a lot of reviews already and they are all 5 stars.  If you're interested it is Finding Good Trouble by Ronyx.

The more I thought about this the more I felt I should describe the impact on me.  The first 5 chapters had me in a constant outrage over what was happening.  Chapters 6-17 had some occasional outbursts of rage and many bursts of laughter.  I cried the last three chapters and couldn't even comment. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I used to have two airtight woodstoves in this house... one up and one down... but they were too much work and mess, and there was a problem with insurance... a waiver was needed... but yeah, there was nothing like that kind of heat.

In my home on Mt Hood, I had one large fireplace that filled the great room and loft bedroom with soft light and a great smell.  I often fell peacefully asleep to the light and smell of the fireplace in my loft bedroom.  And I agree that there are a lot of problems with cleaning, maintenance and insurance.  I was however thankful I had it when I got snowed in without power for a whole week.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, raven1 said:

Hi Page! :hug: Hope your day went well and you are ready for the weekend! 

Hey, Terry!  :hug: Yup, the weather took a turn for the better, briefly. We got some warm air coming up from the south, so this weekend might be the last bonfire we can enjoy before it gets too cold.  :D

• Love 4

1 hour ago, Page Scrawler said:

Hey, Terry!  :hug: Yup, the weather took a turn for the better, briefly. We got some warm air coming up from the south, so this weekend might be the last bonfire we can enjoy before it gets too cold.  :D

When I lived on Mt Hood, I or one of my neighbors would have a campfire going when the weather permitted.  It's one of the things I miss living in a condo. 

• Love 4

4 hours ago, raven1 said:

The more I thought about this the more I felt I should describe the impact on me.  The first 5 chapters had me in a constant outrage over what was happening.  Chapters 6-17 had some occasional outbursts of rage and many bursts of laughter.  I cried the last three chapters and couldn't even comment. 

I started reading but had to stop. It upset me too much. Perhaps I'll try again in the future.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hey dugh! :hug: How are you and mum doing? Hope you have a good weekend.

9 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I started reading but had to stop. It upset me too much. Perhaps I'll try again in the future.

Me too!  I was very honest when I tried to explain how much it had overwhelmed my emotions.  Ronyx shook me up very badly.  He wrote an extremely realistic and raw story with characters I felt very close to. I wouldn't have a problem if someone quit the story after the beginning chapters.  I stuck it out, but it was very difficult.  It got better until the last chapters. To be honest, chapters 18 and 19 are the very worst.  I took a day each to recover, and I couldn't muster up the will to comment on them.  It is still too soon for me to write a review.  

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Bucket1 said:

That’s some powerful writing given your reactions, Terry and Dugh.

It was Bucket, :hug:Thank you and the rest here for understanding.  I know that Gary understands also because he knows how difficult it was for me with some of his stories.  I am sensitive, reflective and often find the stories challenge my own perceptions and values, but I can change. 

Edited by raven1
  • Love 3

38 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

I just picked up a second writing project, will someone please shake some sense into me??  

:hug:Not gonna be me Cassie!  I saw your comments in the Anthology survey and was cheering you on!  Suck it up sweetheart.  Everyone here will be at your back cheering you on!❤️

Edited by raven1
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, CassieQ said:

Considering I haven't posted in 2 years, I kinda doubt it.  But thanks for the encouragement.  

Don't worry about 2 years!  I first visited GA twelve year ago.  When I got back last year it was to welcoming arms. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, raven1 said:

It was Bucket, :hug:Thank you and the rest here for understanding.  I know that Gary understands also because he knows how difficult it was for me with some of his stories.  I am sensitive, reflective and often find the stories challenge my own perceptions and values, but I can change. 

I do understand. I had to stop reading a very good story once, written by someone I really respect, but I was having nightmares from my childhood, so I put the story in the freezer. :) 

You engage in a story, and that's all we authors could want. :hug: 

• Love 4

10 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I do understand. I had to stop reading a very good story once, written by someone I really respect, but I was having nightmares from my childhood, so I put the story in the freezer. :) 

You engage in a story, and that's all we authors could want. :hug: 

That was it exactly.  It was exceptional and worthy of recognition, but very painful.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I spent the first couple of years being incognito, reading stories and leaving. Then I joined and spent the next couple of years commenting and leaving reviews for just about everyone. Then I started writing, and the support was shocking to me. I've never looked back, but I've had dry periods too... some due to injury and illness and some due to depression. People understand here. We aren't machines. :)  

I have to say that you have inspired me and your stories often challenge me.  I have had to reevaluate my beliefs and biases.  That is the main reason I will always encourage and support you.  It is why your stories are so important to me.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..