Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

14 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

I assume that the egg is used as a binding ingredient, to help the filling "set". Older recipes probably would have called for a small amount of flour or cornstarch.  :)

Oh, I'm sure that's the reason. Her recipe calls for more liquid in the filling than ours, so it will be comparatively looser. The recipes we have just use, molasses, water and baking soda. The dry ingredients also absorb some moisture during baking helping the filling set.

There is a similiar pie, Montgomery pie, that uses an egg in the filling. Montgomery pie adds lemon to the filling and has a more cake like topping. It's not as widely available as Shoo fly pie? Perhaps, because the ingredients were historically less readily available, particularly in frugal Plain households.

Edited by dughlas
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

The Texas Supreme Court has jurisdiction over the planet the God-and-Emperor lives on. -_-

Is that the same planet occied by the Little Prince? Are you the dancing man?

Bob Fosse Dance GIF

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

Howdy y'all! :hug:

I'm thinking of writing a blog post about my trip overall. Would y'all be interested in reading something like that?

Oh, I did take more pictures during the return trip, but I'll have to go through them to determine which go on IG.

Sure

• Like 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..