Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

9 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

The apple pie: https://www.cookingclassy.com/crumb-topped-apple-slab-pie/

And the Broccoli-Cheese Soup. The recipe was originally my grandmother's, and she didn't write it as precisely as I would like. I've made some improvements, and included a variation at the end.  😋

Reveal hidden contents

Broccoli-Cheese Soup

Ingredients

2 - 3 cups of fresh Broccoli florets

1 white onion, finely diced

3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds

1/2 cup of flour

4 tbsp of butter

1 and 1/2 cups of milk

4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth

2 cups of grated cheese (I use half Cheddar, half Colby Jack)

Salt and Pepper, to taste

Optional: Dijon Mustard and Cholula hot sauce, to taste

Preparation

1. Over medium heat, saute the carrots and onion in butter, until onions are translucent. Add the broccoli and saute longer, about five minutes total.

2. Add the flour and stir well, scraping the corners of the pot to prevent scorching. Cook until flour starts to smell nutty, then add the chicken stock. Cook until the broccoli and carrots are tender, then add the milk.

3. Remove the pan from the burner and add the cheese, stirring in small amounts. Add salt, pepper, mustard, and hot sauce.

Variation:

For the vegetables, use 1 white onion, 2 cups of broccoli, 3 carrots, and 4 potatoes, peeled and finely diced. Also, add 5 oz of diced ham with the chicken stock. (The ham will release water and salt as it cooks, so adjust seasonings accordingly.)

Hi Page! :hug: Love ya my friend for sharing these. :heart: The pie is bookmarked on my browser in my recipe folder.  The soup is now on a Page document in my desktop folder.  I'll try these soon and let you know how I did.  It would seem we have much the same cooking style, take a recipe and change it.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Headstall said:

Pinocchio GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hi Gary!  :hug: By looking at your posts, it seems like you are feeling better and back to normal.  Hope you get a good rest tonight!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..