Open Club  ·  138 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

2 minutes ago, Marty said:

I think our friends from across the pond tend to refer it as a shift stick, clo. ;)

But, yes, I love my manual transmission. Wouldn't feel as though I was so much in control if I ever had an automatic transmission.

(Why am I now expecting Bob to try to turn what I have just said into something I didn't say? :unsure2:)

0:)

Americans like automatic transmission. My Expedition is automatic, so is Dennis F-350. I read that 5% of cars in America sold is manual transmission. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Americans like automatic transmission. My Expedition is automatic, so is Dennis F-350. I read that 5% of cars in America sold is manual transmission. 

It's the opposite over here, although I think there's been an increase in automatics in recent years.

Manual transmission cars used to be much more fuel efficient. If I remember correctly, they were claimed to be up to 10% more efficient. But I have read that modern automatic gearboxes are much more fuel efficient than they used to be.

I'm not sure whether it's still true, but automatics used to be much more expensive to purchase over here. But that may only have been due to the fact that they were not as common.

• Like 4

According to this report the percentage of automatic cars on the roads of Ireland during now stands at 30%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/motoring/motoringnews/30-of-all-new-cars-on-irish-roads-are-now-automatics-919993.html

New research has shown that 30% of all new cars in Ireland are now automatics.

According to DoneDeal, in the first three months of 2019, over 19,000 automatic cars rolled off the forecourts - a record high for the transmission type.

Compared to five years ago when just 6,000 new automatic cars sold in the country, that's an increase of 83%.

Edited by Marty
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Marty said:

I think our friends from across the pond tend to refer it as a shift stick, clo. ;)

But, yes, I love my manual transmission. Wouldn't feel as though I was so much in control if I ever had an automatic transmission.

(Why am I now expecting Bob to try to turn what I have just said into something I didn't say? :unsure2:)

Lol I've got to admit I was more more thinking what you think Bobber might think that you're handling the gear stick of the gremlin :gikkle: 

But seriously speaking I can't really talk about shift stick vs manual. I was such a calamity during driving lessons that after a while they've nicely proposed to try automatic :lol: and so that's the only way I know how to drive :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Morning all... A cloudy day here in Florida.. 50% chance of rain here today. 

Similar here, Xan. Although no rain expected, just possibly a couple of showers .

And your temperature probably well exceeds our 16°C (61°F) :rofl:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marty said:

According to this report the percentage of automatic cars on the roads of Ireland during now stands at 30%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/motoring/motoringnews/30-of-all-new-cars-on-irish-roads-are-now-automatics-919993.html

Now, what's a forecourt? Even we both speak English, it is very different...the bonnet, the boot...

The only stick that is sold now are mostly sports cars...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marty said:

Similar here, Xan. Although no rain expected, just possibly a couple of showers .

And your temperature probably well exceeds our 16°C (61°F) :rofl:

It will be about 90 degrees, a bit cooler than the wekend, which was 93...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Now, what's a forecourt? Even we both speak English, it is very different...the bonnet, the boot...

The only stick that is sold now are mostly sports cars...

In that article, I think they were talking about the open area in the front of the offices of the firms that sell new cars.

As George Bernard Shaw is reported to have said: "The English and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

It will be about 90 degrees, a bit cooler than the wekend, which was 93...

Sometimes I can see distinct advantages to living in Ireland... ;) 

• Like 4

Just now, Marty said:

In that article, I think they were talking about the open area in the front of the offices of the firms that sell new cars.

As George Bernard Shaw is reported to have said: "The English and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language."

Oh..a dealership...

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Marty said:

I'm not sure if it's still the case (it probably is) but, when I was learning to drive in the UK back in 1975, if you took your test in a car with automatic transmission, you only got a licence to drive that type of car. But if you took it i a manual transmission, your licence was for either.

Makes sense in a way. Although, never actually having driven an automatic, I'd say I'd have to be very careful to begin with if ever I did drive one. :) 

It's the same. It's specified on my driver license that I can only drive automatic. If I ever want to drive a manual I've got to take 7 hours of driving lessons to validated it. 

Automatics are being more common with the electric cars but mostly they're big SUV. I was luck to find a nice little Clio 3

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

Ireland is nice..one of my friend flew to Ireland on Aer Lingus. Said the airline is nice...

Long time since I flew with Aer Lingus. Tend to use Ryanair these days for flights within Europe. Longer flights it would depend on what carriers were available.

Warning: Rude joke in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

Did you hear about the Irishman who thought Aer Lingus was a sexual act?

Edited by Marty
Correcting another of my inevitable typos.
  • Haha 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..