Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Open Club  ·  138 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

9 hours ago, Marty said:

And the Irish and Scots (and the Manx people in the Isle of Man) belong to the Gaelic branch, whereas the Welsh, Bretons (Brittany, or Bretagne, in northwest France), and the Cornish people belong to the Brythonic branch. The words celt and celtic officially start with a hard C sound (like the letter K). Oddly enough the Scottish soccer team Glasgow Celtic use a soft C sound for their name (like the letter S).

Cornwall has an interesting history. In 1497 the Cornish people staged a rebellion against the English Crown, and an armed band of Cornishmen, some 15,000 strong, marched upon London. They were defeated at the Battle of Deptford Bridge (also known as Battle of Blackheath), which took place on 17 June 1497 on a site in present-day Deptford, in south-east London, adjacent to the River Ravensbourne. Henry VII had mustered an army of some 25,000 men and the Cornish lacked the supporting cavalry and artillery arms essential to the professional forces of the time. That was the culminating event of the Cornish Rebellion, but many Cornish people, even to this day, do not consider themselves English, and like to remember that theirs was the last foreign army ever to reach the Walls of the City of London.

Thank for another history lesson...it is interesting to see who been in England... including the Pics...I wonder where they came from? I know they are extinct now...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, clochette said:

A multimillionaire, huh? 🤔 Maybe I should put a toll for Aussie to enter the house then :gikkle:

Edit: unless they're in a speedo -_-

I'll bring a jar of orange marmalade, a jar of kumquat jelly and a jar of real maple syrup to swap...and I'll let Dennis drop them off while he's wearing a blue Speedo..😄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Well I had a busy day.  :yawn:  We cleaned out the dining room and scrubbed it real good and got my den door reattached from the delivery yesterday.  I also got a new plant for the front of the house. It looks really nice.  :) Now all I need are some guests to enjoy the fruits of all our hard work :) Oh and I made cheeseburgers for dinner.  Very yummy! 

Val is inviting us to her house for a party.... I'll bring a bus load of our friends...😄

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

omg

Lightning strike at Florida beach leaves 8 injured

Lightning is deadly...a few weeks ago, a motorcyclist was driving down I95 when a bolt of lightning hit him. Died instantly...🙁

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, clochette said:

True... And the repairs on my car haven't started yet

Maybe I'll need to sell some of my herd members to Val 🥺😭

I'm glad Dennis and I know about automobiles...we save $$$...(but mostly our cars are still new...)

Edited by BabyXander1990
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Hey, Bertie and Steve.   :hug:  :kiss:

I made fire-roasted gazpacho with grilled cheese dippers.   :yes:

So, someone out by my parents' way is selling a 1947 Barrel-back Chris Craft motorboat. Mickey saw it in the front yard, and he wants to buy it. It's only $700, looks to be in pristine condition, but I'm wary of that price tag. I don't know much about boats, but I'm sure a piece like that would be WAAAY more expensive. Either the guy doesn't know what he has, or he's getting desperate to sell. I asked Morgan to head out there and take a look at it. I also reminded Mickey over the phone that he's holding several kayaks in storage: his, Remy's, and Sean's two-seater. And he'd need his parents' permission to store the boat in their garage, though space won't be an issue. But, the kid sounded more excited than I've ever known him to be about anything.   :)

1947 Chris-Craft? Wow. Wooden boats are nice. Lots of work to keep up the beauty of the wood,  but it leaks!! Does it have a Chris-Craft engine in it? I'd love either a wood Chris-Craft or a Garwood...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

1947 Chris-Craft? Wow. Wooden boats are nice. Lots of work to keep up the beauty of the wood,  but it leaks!! Does it have a Chris-Craft engine in it? I'd love either a wood Chris-Craft or a Garwood...

Mickey bought the boat, after all. The previous owner said his grandfather bought it after coming home from WW2, but never had much occasion to use it. The paperwork has been updated, and the meters and engine parts are all new. Other than that, it's exactly the same as when it left the showroom.   :D

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Mickey bought the boat, after all. The previous owner said his grandfather bought it after coming home from WW2, but never had much occasion to use it. The paperwork has been updated, and the meters and engine parts are all new. Other than that, it's exactly the same as when it left the showroom.   :D

Maybe, Mickey and Remi will take Rory out in it. As much as I love today's boats (and the carefree of fibreglass), Rory can see a classic on a lake. Kids today don't know about how to take care of boats. Tell Mickey to take care of it...and also, tell him to go to antiqueboats.com.

• Like 5

It is said the two happiest day of a boat owner is when you buy a boat and when you sell a boat, but using it is fun, too. Make sure Christopher Smith's boat (the founder of Chris-Craft) is in good hands - and I hope he (and Remi) will take lessons. 

• Like 4

• Site Administrator
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

G'day y'all. Still warm 78/25° and humid here but the weather is forecast to break later with potentially heavy storms and flash flooding beginning this afternoon and through the night. Much more pleasant weather to follow. Off to walk the pup.

Good morning :yawn:  It's a nice, cool morning here.  In the 60s, but raining.  It's only supposed to get into the low-mid 70s today :D  and the rest of the week looks good, too.  :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..