Dead-Composers Society

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stendhal was never shy in saying he got more out of Paisiello's music and drama than any other composer. A sensitive, and exciting performance like the new one below shows why Paisiello will always grace stages the world over. :)

Simone Perugini  and the Tuscan Opera Academy Orchestra perform the overture to L'inganno felice ("The Joyous Deception")

• Love 1

Some autumnal music for an October day . . .

Malcolm Binns and the Philharmonia Orchestra, led by Nicholas Braithwaite, perform William Sterndale Bennett's Adagio for piano and orchestra.

• Like 1

Sterndale Bennett - talented and competent composer who created some very enjoyable music. Yet that was not enough. He hasn’t endured, like so many other talented artists that just fade from memory. There must be something missing. Emotion? Originality? Musical hooks and tricks that raise the hairs? Maybe all of these things :unsure:

The Symphony No. 3, Op. 36, also known as the Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. The first and third movements are written from the perspective of a parent who has lost a child, but I'm particularly drawn to the second movement, which is that of a child separated from a parent. The words are of a prayer that was inscribed by a girl on the wall of her gestapo prison cell in Zakopane, Poland.

"Mother, do not weep,
Most chaste Queen of Heaven
Support me always."

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Let my prayer arise in thy sight as incense,

and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice.

Lord, I have called to thee, hear me!

Attend to the voice of my prayer when I call to thee!

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord,

keep watch over the door around my lips!

Incline not my heart to words of evil,

to invent excuses for my sins.

Let my prayer arise in Thy sight as incense,

and let the lifting up of my hands

Be an evening sacrifice."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

"Let my prayer arise in thy sight as incense,

and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice.

Lord, I have called to thee, hear me!

Attend to the voice of my prayer when I call to thee!

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord,

keep watch over the door around my lips!

Incline not my heart to words of evil,

to invent excuses for my sins.

Let my prayer arise in Thy sight as incense,

and let the lifting up of my hands

Be an evening sacrifice."

It’s amazing! Whose setting is it? 

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Franz Joseph Haydn wrote a lot of keyboard sonatas. In the middle of his career, before the Sonatas were intended solely to be played on the piano, he wrote this lovely Sonata in c minor. Haydn was known to be a generally happy individual and this is reflected in the fact that he wrote very few piano works in minor keys, and here - even in a dark key like c minor, there is often some sparkle and brilliance along with the introspective moments.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Lux Apollo said:

Franz Joseph Haydn wrote a lot of keyboard sonatas. In the middle of his career, before the Sonatas were intended solely to be played on the piano, he wrote this lovely Sonata in c minor. Haydn was known to be a generally happy individual and this is reflected in the fact that he wrote very few piano works in minor keys, and here - even in a dark key like c minor, there is often some sparkle and brilliance along with the introspective moments.

You and I have spoken about Plentev before, and I think we agree how inspiring his interpretations are (especially with the much neglected CPE Bach). But as for recordings, I much prefer his 1989 studio setting of Haydn's c minor piano sonata. Perhaps you have the album as I do?

As you mentioned in your post, the expressiveness in this performances is wonderful to listen to