Dead-Composers Society

45 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

It was. We sang it for a competition back in 2015. Hardest part was not making ourselves cry. lol! We came in third.

I sent a link of this to our choir director. The music will be ordered!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2020 at 6:41 PM, Lux Apollo said:

You may or may not know, but these three Preludes were selected for publication by a musical Gershwin friend. There were many more written and unpublished during his life, and "Sleepless Night" is arguably the best known of theses Preludes :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I have to say, over the past few months I've really fallen in love with this performance. Scents of sand and sea are everywhere in it, and I keep reliving the seaside love scenes from Merchant-Ivory's "The Bostonian" :) 

The Cleveland Quartet, Dvorak String Quartet No. 12

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Here is the description under the video:

Debussy "Clair de Lune" for a gentle female elephant called Ampan.  Ampan is 80 years old and lives with us as Elephants World in Thailand.  She is blind in one eye and can barely see with the other.  80 years old is very old indeed for an elephant, it’s about 10 years past the natural life span of an elephant in the wild.

Paul Barton is a classical pianist who spent some time at Elephants World, playing music to the resident elephants. Many of these elephants used to work in the logging industry, so they led pretty hard lives. They now spend their old age simply living their lives as elephants.

Paul Barton has played Bach, Beethoven, Debussey, Ravel and more to these elephants.  I really find these videos sweet, and you can see how at ease they are as they listen to Paul play.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/23/2020 at 1:15 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Here is the description under the video:

Paul Barton is a classical pianist who spent some time at Elephants World, playing music to the resident elephants. Many of these elephants used to work in the logging industry, so they led pretty hard lives. They now spend their old age simply living their lives as elephants.

Paul Barton has played Bach, Beethoven, Debussey, Ravel and more to these elephants.  I really find these videos sweet, and you can see how at ease they are as they listen to Paul play.

That was lovely. The piano could do with tuning, though. :P 

Incidentally, I read somewhere yesterday that the same things happen in elephant brains when they see humans as what happens in human brains when we see cute animals; they think we're adorable. Inter-species empathy is a weird and wonderful thing!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Thorn Wilde said:

That was lovely. The piano could do with tuning, though. :P 

Incidentally, I read somewhere yesterday that the same things happen in elephant brains when they see humans as what happens in human brains when we see cute animals; they think we're adorable. Inter-species empathy is a weird and wonderful thing!

Definitely hard to keep a good tuning outdoors, especially if there is shifting humidity.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Mendelssohn wrote many such Songs without Words for piano solo, where the performer is expected to bring out the melody line with a beautiful cantabile tone over top of various styles of accompaniment. In the case of this piece, we have a Duetto with two melody lines trading back and forth. A simple joy to play.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Lux Apollo said:

Mendelssohn wrote many such Songs without Words for piano solo, where the performer is expected to bring out the melody line with a beautiful cantabile tone over top of various styles of accompaniment. In the case of this piece, we have a Duetto with two melody lines trading back and forth. A simple joy to play.

:blushing:

https://gayauthors.org/story/ac-benus/onehundredandfifty-fivesonnets/57

• Love 1