Dead-Composers Society

I've been listening to a lot of Viotti recently. Here is a charming example; the finale to his 26th (!!!) violin concerto. Hope it brings a smile :)

• Like 1
On 6/1/2020 at 7:06 PM, AC Benus said:

This might be the only piece of blowhard Braytoven I ever post, but perhaps all of his egotistical works should be performed on guitar :yes:

can’t remember if this has been posted before, but even if it has it’s still worth enjoying again :lol:

Dudley Moore (comedian, Hollywood star, organ scholar, composer, pianist and overall underrated musician) had real insight into Beethoven with this brilliant and hilarious parody  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

can’t remember if this has been posted before, but even if it has it’s still worth enjoying again :lol:

Dudley Moore (comedian, Hollywood star, organ scholar, composer, pianist and overall underrated musician) had real insight into Beethoven with this brilliant and hilarious parody  

🤣 Brilliant! Although there were two dead giveaways it was not genuine Beethoven: one, Maestro Moore's polyphony is better, and two, the coda is too short and simple 🤣

Thanks for posting this. Reminds me of Victor Borge's variations on Happy Birthday to You. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 2

Vasily Kalinnikov (1866-1901) is a minor figure in the late Russian Romantic, dying very early of tuberculosis just shy of 35 years old. I first learned this Nocturne from a set of four pieces for solo piano at the end of my high school days and have treasured it since. 

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, northie said:

@Zombie Have you seen the BBC 4 programme Black Composers?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08qs7vf

I was going to watch it but something came up - thanks for the iPlayer link :)

Sancho was a significant figure in English society and history. A man of many talents, music being just one, he lived a full and most interesting life.

If I’ve time I might post more in The Lounge - more people should know about him.

• Like 1
“Reveille“ from “Pushkin's Garland” by Georgy Vasilyevich Sviridov

Composers love acoustic effects and in this piece a boy soprano is separated from the choir to produce a sort of answer or echo. It’s called antiphony (“music in which an ensemble is divided into distinct groups, used in opposition, often spatial, and using contrasts of volume, pitch, timbre, etc“ - Grove) and has roots in ancient music and across cultures (“call and response” is another term commonly used in religious and also gospel music). 

Vaughan Williams used a similar trick in his Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis performed by a double string orchestra separated by distance to create a “surround sound” and echoing effect for the audience. In an acoustic space like a church or Gloucester Cathedral, where the Fantasia premiered in 1910, the effect is dramatic.

Sadly I get none of that with this recording on my feeble iPad :angry: and I doubt the performance was miked to capture the effect - I guess you had to be there...

Anyway, this is part 7 (of 10) from the Russian neo-romantic composer ’s 1979 choral concerto (set to verses by Alexander Pushkin).

Oh yeah, and you’re in for a real surprise when blondie opens his mouth... :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zombie said:
“Reveille“ from “Pushkin's Garland” by Georgy Vasilyevich Sviridov

Composers love acoustic effects and in this piece a boy soprano is separated from the choir to produce a sort of answer or echo. It’s called antiphony (“music in which an ensemble is divided into distinct groups, used in opposition, often spatial, and using contrasts of volume, pitch, timbre, etc“ - Grove) and has roots in ancient music and across cultures (“call and response” is another term commonly used in religious and also gospel music). 

Vaughan Williams used a similar trick in his Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis performed by a double string orchestra separated by distance to create a “surround sound” and echoing effect for the audience. In an acoustic space like a church or Gloucester Cathedral, where the Fantasia premiered in 1910, the effect is dramatic.

Sadly I get none of that with this recording on my feeble iPad :angry: and I doubt the performance was miked to capture the effect - I guess you had to be there...

Anyway, this is part 7 (of 10) from the Russian neo-romantic composer ’s 1979 choral concerto (set to verses by Alexander Pushkin).

Oh yeah, and you’re in for a real surprise when blondie opens his mouth... :lol:

I've known this vid for a while, but did not know this is part of a modern composition (set to Pushkin no less! :) ). Thanks for that info. Pushkin is famous for his one Gay piece of verse, which is suppressed in English, and barely known (so I am told) in Russian. Here is it:

Imitation of the Arabic [Verse Style]

My sweet boy, my tender boy,

Show no shyness; you are mine for evermore.

We share the commingled fire of insurgency;

We live in the realm of fearless partnership.

I fear not the dangerous taunts of other men,

For one being divided in two is how we survive;

Our brain like that of a sweet walnut

Encased by a single sturdy shell.  

Alexandre Pushkin, 1835

_

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

The boy's falsetto is amazingly artistic and controlled. I believe the Russian tradition of basso profundo is basic to their (Byzantium-inherited) cultural grounding of what singing is. If you haven't heard Dmitry Seleznev perform, this will be a pleasant experience (and he's easy on the eyes too ;)

• Like 1