Dead-Composers Society

@Lux Apollo Belated for your birthday. Please listen :) This is a piece that would make ole JS Bach flush pink with compositional envy; I can see him dancing on the organ foot pedals now as he plays this arrangement...  

• Love 1

Henri DuMont (1610-1689) was a composer of the French school of the Baroque, although originally from the southern Netherlands. Working in the court of Louis XIV, he primarily wrote religious music such as this Sinfonia and Grand Motet.

• Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Matthew Fisher, composer

So how many if you have heard of him?

None, I’m guessing 

But you will know his music. Very well, because he wrote one of the most famous organ pieces of the 1960s that is even more popular now, over 50 years later.

So it’s a shame no-one’s ever heard of him.

If you’re interested in his story there’s more in the blog link (Blog link: Matthew Fisher, composer of A Whiter Shade Of Pale, Hammond organ part / court battle etc)

Anyway, here it is:  Matthew Fisher’s A Whiter Shade of Pale, the Hammond organ part (inspired by the work of Mr JS Bach)

And btw there’s absolutely nothing wrong with inspiration by another artist’s work - after all, inspiration is at the heart of the very best artistic creation and we get to enjoy two works for the price of one... :)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Renato Fasano, one of the greatest conductors of the recording era, paired up with Shirley Verrett to do the definitive Orfeo ed Euridice, by Gluck.

The restoration of the original Third Act finale is amazing. Gluck's ballet for the piece comes here, and the final two movements are these: lentemento et Chaconne

What a glorious finale! (And in case you think my praise overkill, this recording is THE must-have version recommended by the Metropolitan Opera's Guide to Recorded Operas, page 164.)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

Renato Fasano, one of the greatest conductors of the recording era, paired up with Shirley Verrett to do the definitive Orfeo ed Euridice, by Gluck.

The restoration of the original Third Act finale is amazing. Gluck's ballet for the piece comes here, and the final two movements are these: lentemento et Chaconne

What a glorious finale! (And in case you think my praise overkill, this recording is THE must-have version recommended by the Metropolitan Opera's Guide to Recorded Operas, page 164.)

I guess there's reason why this guy was one of Mozart's hero/inspirations.

• Love 1

I've been listening to a lot of Zipoli these last few days. All the soloists in this performance are wonderful, but the cello almost enters as if tears are falling... 

• Love 1

Claude Vivier was a Canadian composer and world traveler who came from a poor background. He studied with Gilles Tremblay and Karlheinz Stockhausen. His music is very interesting, but modernist in approach.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, AC Benus said:

This is a stunning arrangement and a great performance 

London musician Karim Kamar is a bit more than just a street pianist

He’s currently signed to independent label Ostereo, but a well-produced YouTube “street” video (especially if you look like he does :wub:) is a smart way to promote yourself, and maybe get noticed. It’s a win win for everyone - good luck to him :) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

London musician Karim Kamar is a bit more than just a street pianist

He’s currently signed to independent label Ostereo, but a well-produced YouTube “street” video (especially if you look like he does :wub:) is a smart way to promote yourself, and maybe get noticed. It’s a win win for everyone - good luck to him :) 

Yes, his performance is lovely to 'watch' too ;) 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, AC Benus said:

This is a stunning arrangement and a great performance 

Don't know if you have noticed, it seems he has a stalker in the background near beginning of the video....  LOL  Fashion criminal, but heck....  Love is love.  ;)

• Like 1

My choir made this quarantine video. It's a choral arrangement by Carl-Bertil Agnestig of Edvard Grieg op. 33 nr. 9, Ved Rondane. Words by A.O. Vinje.

I did the sound mix for this. Kind of a challenge, given the varying quality of recordings from phones, computers, and tablets, and the slightly different timing and so on that comes from not being in the same room, even though we all sang to the same lead track made by our conductor. Still, I think it turned out all right. Another member of the choir edited the video. :) 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...