Unless I’ve missed it there doesn’t seem to be anything by Henry Purcell :(

Here’s a song he wrote around 1680 :)

I’ve started a blog on Mr Purcell for anyone interested

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Unless I’ve missed it there doesn’t seem to be anything by Henry Purcell :(

Here’s a song he wrote around 1680 :)

I’ve started a blog on Mr Purcell for anyone interested

Yay! Thanks for posting this, although I guess this song is not be confused with the Gershwin’s “She loves” 😇

Edited by AC Benus
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Yay! Thanks for posting this, although I guess this song is not be confused with the Gershwin’s “She loves” 😇

Hahaha, Mr Gershwin’s lyrics are as innocent as apple pie - Master P’s are definitely not apple pie innocent :gikkle: (the lyric is Abraham Cowley’s 1656 poem The Mistress)

2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

And I’m sure I’ve posted the brilliant witches’ scene by Master P (his rap name, of course) 

Ah, Dido and Aeneas. Master P’s song has witches too :2thumbs:

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I am not sure why, but the last few days I have been thinking about George Gershwin's tragically short life. I guess it started when I bumped into a (born-died) parenthetical after another composer's name. Born the same year as Gershwin, but died in 1990. My mind boggles to consider what directions Gershwin would have taken music from 1937 to 1990. 

Anyway, here is about the last orchestral piece he completed before receiving his brain tumor diagnosis. "Walk the Dog" is sure to make you smile and put a spring in your step. More informed folks will marvel at how perfect the composition is, and how brilliantly arranged too :)

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I am not sure why, but the last few days I have been thinking about George Gershwin's tragically short life. I guess it started when I bumped into a (born-died) parenthetical after another composer's name. Born the same year as Gershwin, but died in 1990. My mind boggles to consider what directions Gershwin would have taken music from 1937 to 1990. 

Anyway, here is about the last orchestral piece he completed before receiving his brain tumor diagnosis. "Walk the Dog" is sure to make you smile and put a spring in your step. More informed folks will marvel at how perfect the composition is, and how brilliantly arranged too :)

Aww, such a cute pup! ❤️ And a great piece. :) 

I'm a simple soul, though. My favourite Gershwin piece, which was also my first, will always remain Rhapsody in Blue.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Thats awesome. It will make me walk to work with a lighter step. And I decided to listen to this with my students and make some Math-dancing today. ;-) Thanks for sharing.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Thats awesome. It will make me walk to work with a lighter step. And I decided to listen to this with my students and make some Math-dancing today. 😉 Thanks for sharing.

Math-dancing! I love the idea!!

• Love 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Some Christmas music for this festive period :) 

In dulci jubilo (“In sweet rejoicing") is one of my favourite carols

This version is by Bach - but maybe one you’ve never heard of... :P 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m a fan of Merchant Ivory movies, especially Howards End and the beginning where Vanessa Redgrave wanders through the twilit gardens looking in through the open windows at her family talking, laughing and enjoying family life while a serene and hauntingly beautiful piano piece is played.

I assumed it was composed for the film but it wasn't, it’s by the somewhat neglected but brilliant Australian composer, Percy Grainger. It was composed by Grainger for Karen Holten, a Danish music student whom Grainger had met in 1905. Their love-affair lasted several years - mostly by letter - but Grainger's mother disapproved so much the relationship was eventually broken off. This short piece - just 17 bars - was written as a wedding gift for Karen when she fell in love with someone else a few years later and became Karen Kellerman. There is a real sense of sadness and regret at what had been lost but Grainger was clearly glad she had found happiness.

Here is that ravishing piece performed, as in the film, by the English pianist Martin Jones:

Percy Grainger (1882 - 1961)

Bridal Lullaby (1916)

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3

My choir's rehearsing new(ish) material again (we actually sang these years ago, but we're picking them up again), so I thought I'd share some of it. These composers are, as far as I know, not dead, though.

Lauda Sion by György Orban

Sancta Maria by Knut Nystedt (omg, these are kids and they're at least as good as we are if not better! I'm shamed, lol)

• Like 3

I'm terrible at the whole 'dead' aspect of this thread... Here's Even When He Is Silent by Kim André Arnesen. The words were scribbled on the wall of a cell in a Nazi concentration camp by an unknown poet.

I believe in the sun, even when it's not shining
I believe in love, even when I feel it not
I believe in God, even when He is silent

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2
  • Love 2