Looking for an editor

I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place. I am working on a non-fiction piece. However since most of my writting has been poetry, blogging, and script writting my grammer is not the best. I am looking for an editor that is willing to donate their time to assist me. My only requirement is that they are able to handle very sensitive issues. This is an autobiographical piece that deals with a lot of types of abuse, and has by it's nature a lot of dark in it. Feel free to directly message me or respond on here. Thank you very much for your time. 

~Flower~ 

Hi, ~Flower~

I realise you may already have found an editor by now. But, if not, it might help if you were to give just a bit more information, so that prospective editors may have some idea as to whether it might suit them.

Things like:

• How long do you envisage the autobiography to be? (Approx number of words, number of chapters, that sort of thing.)
  • Are you looking for the editing to be done on an ongoing basis (chapter by chapter), or are you wanting the whole book to be edited in one go (once you have finished it)?
  • Many editors have busy lives, and sometimes may not be able to do the editing at a moment's notice. This is particularly relevant when the editing is being done "for free" (as is the case on GA).
    • How quickly would you hope that the editing would be done?
    • Would the fact that an editor might, on occasions, not be able to find the time to do it that quickly be a 'deal breaker'?
  • Is it only grammar (and, I assume, spelling) you want editing? Do you not want an editor to look at such things as continuity, and avoidance of confusion in the reader's mind, for example? Or the use of redundant words or phrases? Or to suggest different ways of expressing things - perhaps 'showing rather than telling' the reader. There's lots of other things that an editor might suggest during an edit, as well.
    • I suppose what I'm trying to say is: would you be willing to at least consider changes like these that an editor might suggest? Or are you simply wanting the editor to just correct the spelling and grammar?
  • When you say that the autobiography deals with 'sensitive issues' are you just meaning that a potential editor may personally find some of the issues difficult to handle? As in, (some of) the issues may perhaps act as a trigger for something from the editor's own past. Or are you using the word 'sensitive' to mean issues that you want to be treated in confidence? I'm assuming you mean the former, if only because I assume you want to actually publish this piece of work eventually.
  • Are you intending to post the finished work here on GA

Just to be clear, I am not asking these questions because I am considering offering to do the editing for you (I probably wouldn't have the time). But answers to these sort of questions might help other editors decide if they are willing to edit it for you.

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1

I guess the briefest answer to you is yes to all of the above. I am currently about 1/3 of the way through the project with three chapters done, and about 2,000-3,000 words per chapter. This was actually a project my psychologist wanted me to accomplish to help with recovering from PTSD from growing up in a sexually, verbally, emotionally, and financially abusive home. So I figured that since writting about my experience is s'posed to help me, that I would post it on GA as I go. I have to go through the trauma of writting it, so if I can make it serve a purpose besides just healing me that it would be wonderful. If I can help one person survive abuse or recover from abuse by ready my story. Or help someone donate to an abuse shelter, or attorneys, that it would be worth a lot more then just helping me alone. My spelling usually isn't bad, but since I've been writting and publishing poetry for over 25 years I've developed a lack of respect for grammer and precise wording. I have no time table set, so if it takes someone a month or longer to edit a chapter and lecture me on horrid grammer use, I'm not going to complain. As of right now, I'm expecting the final project to be about ten chapters. I am sorry for the chaotic response, but I believe I hit on all your inquiries. 

Edited by RainbowPhoenixWI