[LittleBuddhaTW] Ch 20 is entitled "Someone's Final Song&quot

This discussion was in the song lyrics thread, but I thought that it needed a new thread, due to it being rather major news...

I just had a thought (unbelievable, I know :P )... Wouldn't it be interesting, and stir up a lot of discussion and speculation (and thus posts), If LB told us the title of a chapter a couple of days before it's released, so that readers could interpret and speculate about the coming chapter?

Hehe ... since there's a possibility that the chapter may not be posted on time this weekend (Internet problems), I'll do it this one time, but I won't necessarily do so for every chapter ... we'll just have to wait and see ... B)

Anyway, the song I chose for the title of Chapter 20 is from Elton Johnn's 1976 album, Blue Moves, and is called "Someone's Final Song." I won't say if only the title or the lyrics AND title are relevant, though ... 0:)

And if Chapter 20 doesn't get posted this weekend, you'll have to blame Chunghwa Telecom and not me! :devil:

I'll post the lyrics below...

He died when the house was empty

When the maid had gone

He put a pen to paper for one final song

He wrote -

Oh babe, it's the only way

I know it's wrong but I can't stand

To go on living, to go on living, living life this way

And I don't know what the time is

Or what the next line is

Or how you're going to take the news

But if I had my life again

I wouldn't change a thing

I'd let nobody, I'd let nobody

Stand inside my shoes

Something's gotten hold of me

This home is not the home it used to be

I've gathered dust like the dying flowers

And I've drunk myself sober

After hours and hours

After hours and hours

Edited by LittleBuddhaTW
Unless Kitty is leaking information (which I highly doubt), no one has seen the draft of Ch. 20 ... and it's still undergoing changes ...

B)

I'm not psychic (just psychotic) and even I can tell you, without any doubt whatsoever, what is in Chapter 20... It's words! Lots of 'em, too... And Kitty didn't tell me that. :P

And, Nick, if you are implying that the title is a plot givaway just to get LB to BBQ me, I'll haunt you! :P

I suspect some misdirection regarding the tile.. LB's work is many things, but predictable it isn't!!

Ahhh! I think I've got it... Did they ever have the service for Connor's Mom? That would fit!

I'm not psychic (just psychotic) and even I can tell you, without any doubt whatsoever, what is in Chapter 20... It's words! Lots of 'em, too... And Kitty didn't tell me that. :P

And, Nick, if you are implying that the title is a plot givaway just to get LB to BBQ me, I'll haunt you! :P

I suspect some misdirection regarding the tile.. LB's work is many things, but predictable it isn't!!

Ahhh! I think I've got it... Did they ever have the service for Connor's Mom? That would fit!

lol....not just words....vowels and consonants :)

Umm, David ... you know that little computer problem you're having? It was caused by a certain GA member (initials "NJ" and the number 8) sneaking into your hard drive while you were sleeping.

;)

If only I could :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sooooo ... who's it gonna be? And how would it affect the story?

Kitty

I listed a few in the first post on the thread, but I'll try and be concise here with my guesses.

Assuming that someone actually dies (who isn't already dead, IE Connor's Mother),

Highest probability: Toby :,(

Close second: Ryan :,(

Possibly both? :,(:,(

The story is told from Connor's perspective, so I think he is fairly safe. Maybe

About the only character that I am positive isn't going to die is Elanor Van Epps, because we know that she goes on to great things in the literary profession.

I'm thinking Mikey might be at risk too.

As for how it would affect the story.. That's even harder. If it's Toby, that will have an enormous impact on Maggie, Ryan, and Connor, but most of all on Ryan as he would have (likely) massive guilt feelings due to being "distant" recently. It might also lead to a break-up of Ryan and Connor.

Yay! LBTW's computer fixed. Thanks be to whoever fixed it.

Now. I think I want to barbeque Goat too... sheesh, talk about 'woe, woe and thrice woe!'

You are the Goatsayer of doom Mr James ;)

Camy B)

Yay! LBTW's computer fixed. Thanks be to whoever fixed it.

Now. I think I want to barbeque Goat too... sheesh, talk about 'woe, woe and thrice woe!'

You are the Goatsayer of doom Mr James ;)

Ack!! But.. But.. I don't wanna be barbecued!

Maybe I just need to appeal to LB's kind, gentle, and forgiving nature?

But... Does he actually have such a nature? Hmmmm, I just read his chapter 13 of Vampire Jarred 2..

I'm doomed.. doomed!!

Maybe it's Trent Mc Lomax. Maybe he's so ashamed of catching a beat down by a gayboi that he can't face anyone, so he takes himself out :(

That would be pretty traumatic for Connor too

Nick, that's a very intriguing idea!!!

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Lomax might react that way, especially if his friends are making fun of him. And indeed, Conner would feel responsible. Good one, Nick!

who do you know that lb is going to end the story? conner could wind up triping off a brige

Now that's a good point, too! LB did say, quite a while back, that he had this plotted out to so many chapters, but I can't recall how many he said. It could very well have been in the very low 20's, though, so it's conceivable that this or the next chapter might be the end.

Another possibility: What if it's Connor's final song at the Piano? Maybe he gets injured, or loses his love of it for emotional reasons?

Be aware LB...of my chopsticks if it's Toby or Ryan or Ben.

I don't think Toby would give up that easy or maybe I don't want to go that direction into seeing that.

You better not be done with Ben...I still want to know more about him :P

Edited by Jack Frost

If Toby goes, then I think the whole story is a bust. I think that there is more here than meats the eye. I have always had faith in Ryan as I am married to some one so similar to him. This story is about cause and effect. I think LB is having dificulty with this issue becaue it is a serious crossroad. Each of you have presented a great basis for you hypothisis. But, LB is the one who has to decide what he feels needs to be learned by this life lesson. It is fiction, but to each of us it is reallity as we deal with it day to day. I have my own opinion and have stateed it very clearly. I am most interested in where LB will go with this. I am really quite frustrated because I want to read chapter 20. But Can you imagine what LB must be going through. We all have strong opinions and he has to deside which way to go. The crossroads are very tough and all I can say is what ever happens I have the utmost respect of LB!! This most me the most difficult chapter to write as so many people are waiting on it and so many opinions have been voiced. LB, do what you think is right. The story is great and so is your writting.

Boxerdud

If Toby goes, then I think the whole story is a bust. I think that there is more here than meats the eye. I have always had faith in Ryan as I am married to some one so similar to him. This story is about cause and effect. I think LB is having dificulty with this issue becaue it is a serious crossroad. Each of you have presented a great basis for you hypothisis. But, LB is the one who has to decide what he feels needs to be learned by this life lesson. It is fiction, but to each of us it is reallity as we deal with it day to day. I have my own opinion and have stateed it very clearly. I am most interested in where LB will go with this. I am really quite frustrated because I want to read chapter 20. But Can you imagine what LB must be going through. We all have strong opinions and he has to deside which way to go. The crossroads are very tough and all I can say is what ever happens I have the utmost respect of LB!! This most me the most difficult chapter to write as so many people are waiting on it and so many opinions have been voiced. LB, do what you think is right. The story is great and so is your writting.

Boxerdud

Much as I hate to say it, my view is that if something bad happens to a major character, then that's part of the story, just the way bad things happen in real life. The only thing that would have spoiled this story for me is if LB hadn't written and shared it, or if I'd have never seen it. Thank you LB and Kitty!

I think that you have a very good point there regarding LB having to make painful decisions. My hunch is that he's already decided what will happen in the next couple of chapters, but I'm very much looking forward to hear more about how SOOTB was written. LB has mentioned that he may talk about this after SOOTB is done.

As someone helping to edit stories, it really is fascinating to see how the writers work. Each one does it differently.

In the chapter you're about to read, there is one of Connor's musical interludes, where he plays his piano and LB tells us what he's playing and a little bit about it. In this case, he goes a step further and gives us the lyrics. (It's not the song that's the chapter title.) David said in another thread that he puts a lot of time into selecting the songs he uses.

When I got the first draft, in that scene he had the lyrics to a certain song, which I read and got a feel for how they worked in the context of what was going on in the story. But when I got the chapter back for round two of the editing, he had changed it to a different song.

FWIW, I think I can safely say that David does not base what he does in the story on what people here say or what they'd like to happen or not. As far as I can tell, the motivation for what happens in the story comes from inside of David.

Kitty

IMHO, one of the things that sets SOOTB apart is how "deep" it is. It's all the little touches, like the song lyrics. I think I first noticed how well selected they were back when Connor and Ryan were not actually together, but Ryan came to Connor's concert.

Hmmm... Just thought of something... We now know that Connor will be singing in Ch. 20. Therefor, one of his songs will, by nececity, be his final song (of that performance). I wonder if that could be the reason behind the title of the chapter (Someone's final song)? In other words, perhaps the final song of the performance is especially significant in some way?

The more I think about it, the more I doubt that LB would have released the title if it was something obvious. None of his other titles have been obvious, so why would this one be? Forgetting the early release of the title, if it was obvious, it would still be a bit of a givaway, and the title is usually the first thing the reader reads.

OR, another meaning of "someone's final song" could easily be that it's the FINAL chapter of SOOTB.. Or, if the story is nearing it's end, this may well be the last time that we get to see Connor sing, hence the "final song" is Connor's final song.

However, if it's about suicide, I have some dark thoughts.. Ryan has been acting withdrawn lately! What if he has a guilt attack regarding his brother, and this is the result?

Hmm I don't think so. That would be far too abrupt IMO. I think we'd need a few chapters of seeing Ryan struggling with depression or an emotional breakdown (I'm not saying he's necessarily in good mental health right now, but he's probably not going to do anything like that until his defense mechanism comes down, and I just don't think we'd see all of that in one chapter, it would be too rushed).

Or, Toby was notably left alone by Ryan in the last chapter, and we have the lyric "He died when the house was empty". We also had Toby telling Connor that he was considering ending his treatment.

Yep, this would seem to be one of the more likely scenarios. However, I think it would be too obvious too.

Or, there is Mikey, who is clearly distressed.. And perhaps even Ben, due to angst over his sexuality.

hmm not Ben. Ben might be struggling with his sexuality, but there's no reason to think he won't just handle it, he's got alot of things going for him and no real handicaps. His brother, parents, and friends are all obviously supportive. There's already a pretty decent atmosphere at school, complete with a GSA (that he's ALREADY a member of). He doesn't seem to have any negative feelings about homosexuality himself (no religious conflicts that we've heard of, and he has several gay friends). He also seems pretty stable and well-adjusted for the most part. So he's got support, a decent environement, and no major hang ups. He should be able to handle it.

Mikey, maybe. His situation is bad, and he's already mentioned suicide once. If there's a suicide my money's on Mikey, not Ben or Ryan. If there's a death,,,,,hmmm I think my money's still on Mikey over Toby, but I don't know for sure.

Assuming that someone actually dies (who isn't already dead, IE Connor's Mother),

Yeah it could be Connor's mom, but that would seem a bit anticlimactic, and it would also feel like diversion.

As for how it would affect the story.. That's even harder. If it's Toby, that will have an enormous impact on Maggie, Ryan, and Connor, but most of all on Ryan as he would have (likely) massive guilt feelings due to being "distant" recently. It might also lead to a break-up of Ryan and Connor.

LOL I read that as "if it's Ryan" by mistake. So when I got to the part, "It might also lead to a break-up of Ryan and Connor", I thought, "well yeah, if Ryan Kills himself they're probably not going to be continuing their relationship" :blink: Having now read it correctly though, I agree.

I'm eager to see what happens next! Have a great weekend everyone!

Kevin

hmm not Ben. Ben might be struggling with his sexuality, but there's no reason to think he won't just handle it, he's got alot of things going for him and no real handicaps. His brother, parents, and friends are all obviously supportive. There's already a pretty decent atmosphere at school, complete with a GSA (that he's ALREADY a member of). He doesn't seem to have any negative feelings about homosexuality himself (no religious conflicts that we've heard of, and he has several gay friends). He also seems pretty stable and well-adjusted for the most part. So he's got support, a decent environement, and no major hang ups. He should be able to handle it.

Mikey, maybe. His situation is bad, and he's already mentioned suicide once. If there's a suicide my money's on Mikey, not Ben or Ryan. If there's a death,,,,,hmmm I think my money's still on Mikey over Toby, but I don't know for sure.

Yeah it could be Connor's mom, but that would seem a bit anticlimactic, and it would also feel like diversion.

LOL I read that as "if it's Ryan" by mistake. So when I got to the part, "It might also lead to a break-up of Ryan and Connor", I thought, "well yeah, if Ryan Kills himself they're probably not going to be continuing their relationship" :blink: Having now read it correctly though, I agree.

I'm eager to see what happens next! Have a great weekend everyone!

Kevin

Kevin, you made some great calls here!

I do disagree on one thing, though... "well yeah, if Ryan Kills himself they're probably not going to be continuing their relationship"... That's far from a given! LB is, after all, also doing a Vampire story, and vampires are also known as the undead.. So.... :P

If Toby goes, then I think the whole story is a bust. I think that there is more here than meets the eye. This story is about cause and effect. I think LB is having dificulty with this issue becaue it is a serious crossroad.

Boxerdud

I agree Boxerdude. I read a Nifty story recently where the Author developed a love story for 8-10 chapters, killed one of the lovers in a car accident, and then just ended the story there. No followup, no grief, no nothing. The story just left me angry and bitter. Of course David is a much better writer than that. I don't think that david would kill Toby unless there were enough story left to brink the characters through the grief. Since David said that there will only be a few more chapters, I don't think there is enough time to properly deal with the death of Toby.