First or Third?

Okay so yeah, it's been a long time since I wrote anything that would be suitable for Nifty (LOL) so I was reading Regulators by Stephen King last night and it gave me the feeling that I need to write something creative rather than summative for a change lol sooooo before I started I was sittin there thinking, what person should I write the narrative in and I realized in utter shock I think I've only written like one Nifty-type story (Nastradia) in the third person. In fact, I think just about every narrative I write is written from the first person point of view either as a main character or abstract character who comes into the piece for a short time then leaves.

"GET TO THE POINT JUSTIN!" LOL okay soo my point is, what do you guys prefer? Which do you prefer to write in and which do you prefer to read from and let's discuss this idea B)

Actually, I find that I like them both equally well. It depends on the story I'm writing or reading, and how the narrative fits the plot line. I've seen professional authors that use both very effectively and even switch styles with good success even within the same story. Dawn of Tears will be in first-person, because the background of the story pretty much demands it, and because the last few stories I've worked on weren't in that style and I wanted to go back to it.

As a reader, I don't pick stories based on the style of narrative, so long as the narrative used fits the story and is done reasonably well. I think that I identify closer with the first-person narrative stories though. That may be psychologically based though, since reading descriptors such as I, my, we, our and so forth will subliminally connect the reader to the perspective the story is coming from, allowing a closer association to be formed.

Okay, I'm thinking too much.

• Site Administrator

I like to read and write in both styles. First person is a little harder to pull off, since you can only "know" what the narrator knows. 3rd is easier to explain things in.

Probably not much help in deciding between the two styles. ;)

I will add my two-cents to this topic. Although I have written in both the first and third person, I find it easier to write in the first person. It also seems easier to draw the reader into the story, being able to see through that person's eyes, plus it is easier to share thoughts, emotions and feelings, when dealing from the outlook of that one character.

In third person, it's like you're looking down at the action, from a distance, not being in the midst of things, as you are in first person. Also, I don't think the reader forms the same emotional attachments in third person, as there is no one character you tend to identify with most. You may have a favorite character, but you don't see everything from his point of view.

This may not be much help, but that is how I feel about the difference between the two styles.

Bill (bwsryc.gayauthors.org)

I've written stuff for school in the third person, but it never seems to have the same depth of feelings when I read it afterwards, I guess because you're reading about someone's feelings from someone who's technically uninvolved. The placement of the "I" tends to make me feel like I'm more involved in the story as a reader. We see the world in the first person, but on tv it's third person whether it's narrated by a character or not.. hmm.. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I DO know it'll be a mad wicked kewl story!! I just don't know quite what it's about yet - all I really know so far is it involves a boy and his bike lolol don't ask me why but bike riding is erotic to me LOL! (at least it'll introduce a character in the story lol) :sheep::boy:

• Site Administrator

bike and erotic? are you sure you aren't Flip? lol. seems a little kinky :P

:lmao:

:boy:

Hey All,

DK, almost anything gets you in that situation. You can take a cold shower. :D

As for how I prefer to write, I like first person. I started my first story Julio in third person but it became quite difficult for me and in chapter 6, I told the readers I was switching to first person. My forst story in third person was Homeroom Bunch. It was also my first story where teens were the primary characters.

It depeneds on how you want to portray the characters in your story. When I write first person, I'm the lead character and telling the story through my eyes. I have a few ideas for a couple of new stories and I think both will be in the third person.

Take care, :)

Mike :sword: