Yes, not perhaps the most original of themes, but I had fun with it. Unfortunately, I posted it about 30 mins before the antho went live. *sigh* So, thanks more than usual for commenting.
Like almost everyone who's commented on this story, you seem to have found much in your own life which resonates with it. Thanks for reading and for your thoughtful comments.
Thank you for your praise. Yes, it is sad overall, but the story has many other elements to it as well. I'm glad you found it a fitting tribute - that means a lot.
Thank you for reading and commenting on my story. Dementia affects so many people, directly, indirectly. How to allow the sufferers to make the most of their remaining time is so important.
Indeed. It is all too easy to think that somehow, love should conquer everything. It doesn't. Life with all its attendant responsibilities and constraints often intervenes. I'm happy that the story passed your reality check though ... . I did try hard to make it honest and faithful as far as I could.
@ColumbusGuy Thank you for reading this, and I'm glad it made a connection. To my mind, Alzheimer's is at least as scary as cancer, if not more so. Much more money needs to be spent on finding a cure or prevention.
In my head, I think Max and his wife both went into the relationship with their eyes largely open. He for cover; she, for status and money, although Max is handsome, so some attraction as well? Not the basis for a relationship, or to bring up a child. Thanks for reading.
Trying to live your life to fit in with someone else's expectations is rarely a good idea. As this story so wonderfully demonstrates. All the hesitations, misunderstandings, and misreadings are so plausible, with your usual excellent dialogue. A pleasure to read.
Even with the most up-to-date drugs, the progress of Alzheimer's and other dementia is largely unchecked. I'm pleased that Will came alive for you, caught up in a drama with little chance of a happy ending.
Poignant. A wonderful word which is perfect for this story. Alzheimer's isn't far from any of us, like cancer, but much less high profile. Thanks, dugh, for your praise.
Thanks, Val. Yes, it's not a happy read though it is also full of love. I'm glad my attempts to give a realistic portrayal of Alzheimer's get your approval.
@Carlos Hazday I'm very pleased you persisted with the story, Carlos. I tried hard to be realistic without being defeatist, and your responses tell me I succeeded. Your praise is the icing on the cake.
That sort of relationship makes me very angry, having had a work colleague in the same kind of situation. I'm glad Cyril had strength, mental and physical, to escape, and to have someone to go to as well, he was lucky. There are lots of people out there who can't leave abusive partners. Well done.
“Sau …” The man sitting in the institutional armchair drooled slightly, his jaw slack. He tried to speak again. “Sau …”
“What's he trying to say?” A sharp, demanding female voice. “He's sore? How much are we paying this place to look after him properly? … William? Call a nurse. It's not good enough.”
Will Carmichael's nostrils flared. Visits to his father were always difficult – doubly so with his mother in tow. She spent so much time making a fuss and very little actually interacting