Jump to content

Ivor Slipper

Author
  • Posts

    4,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ivor Slipper

  1. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Thanks @Daddydavek I'm glad 'Father Christmas' liked it
  2. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    I have no idea what you are alluding to! 😊 Mum was simply worried he might catch cold. The bedroom would almost certainly have been unheated.
  3. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Not all of them I hope! 😊
  4. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Thanks. That was the aim.
  5. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Ho! Ho! Ho! In the Woodcock household Christmas was a time for tradition. The Christmas tree was put up and decorated on Christmas Eve and the presents were placed under it. They were then opened after Christmas dinner of roast turkey complete with all the trimmings followed by a Christmas pudding, brought to the table, flaming, by Mrs Woodcock – who by that time might also be flaming herself after a fraught morning in the kitchen while her husband sat in his armchair by the fire drink
  6. England in the 1950s. It is Christmas Eve and 8 year old Trevor wonders if Father Christmas has brought the present he really wants
  7. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    An interesting view on the subject https://youtu.be/4Khn_z9FPmU
  8. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Now there's a thought - chicken alphabet soup
  9. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    The first Christmas cracker of the year No paper hat, no plastic toy, no funny joke, but definitely a motto....Believe in Santa and anything can happen!
  10. Ivor Slipper

    Michael

    A glimmer - or maybe even more than a glimmer - of hope for Daniel.
  11. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 11

    Woody finds out what haylofts are for - much better than a chat room
  12. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Will you please stop ribbing Geron 😊
  13. Sergei Polunin or Sergei Skripal could well mean trouble, but Sergei Meerkat? https://youtu.be/71hnoVqwkGo Maybe........
  14. Ivor Slipper

    Sinterklaas

    Thanks for the insight to the Sinterklaas tradition
  15. They do seem to spark each other! Probably they were lucky that the film-makers were genuine, but they did try to ensure they were not being duped - or worse. I think it is unlikely they will appear in public again. As Dev said afterwards - it's best to go out on top.
  16. There should definitely be a warning on this can of film. Oh, they don't put film in cans these days, do they... 😊
  17. All very true - but they are young and perhaps foolish.
  18. I think you have your answer from @Paqman Very mixed up now I'd venture to suggest. There is a sort of 'Thames' accent nowadays I'd suggest. Sadly the days of the Brighton Belle are long gone, but I didn't think the service is as bad as you indicate.
  19. Only a thousand?
  20. A Tale of Two Counties Chapter 2 So, where should I begin? I'm sure you don't want to know all my history- that would be just boring – so just a brief outline ought to suffice. My father runs his own printing business and we live in a small village a few miles outside Truro. I have two sisters, Chloe who is a couple of years older than me and Olivia who is a couple of years younger. Our house is large and apparently once belonged to the local squire. I sometimes think my dad con
  21. Ivor Slipper

    I Remember

    Perhaps it is just a wind up?
  22. Ivor Slipper

    Chapter 1

    Neat twist!
  23. Glad you're enjoying the story. The shires do still exist, although in the last 40-50 years we have had various reorganisations where 'Metropolitan Areas' have been created such as Greater Manchester, Humberside, Tyneside, West Midlands and Avon to name a few and some of the counties or their areas have been absorbed into them. So i that where Dickens found some of his strange character names?
  24. Guess I should not be surprised that Californians opt for the biggest available title. 😊 I would agree Devon is usually seen without the shire. Less sure if Oxfordshire is often as Oxon and confident Shropshire is rarely seen as Salop
  25. Hence the title. Most of us outside the US are confused by the fact that everywhere there that has one street and six houses is called a town. Here it needs to be substantial before it merits that title. To be factually correct Devon is actually Devonshire, but I chose to ignore that little complication. And apart from the 'shires', a few of them end in 'sex'. Is that significant? As for Dev, he is probably studying Economics & Finance because his English wasn't good enough for other subjects 😊
×
×
  • Create New...