Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 355 Words
  • 877 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 18. Isabella Maria Ludovica "the privilege of possessing you"

.

Ma très chère demoiselle,

To be deprived of your presence is a martyrdom that is not easy to convey. Anyone who has had the privilege of possessing you can feel what it means to be parted from your side and have no control over even the slightest reprieve. Not the slightest joy, not the slightest pleasure; everything becomes tasteless; one can only aspire for sadness and pain, [for] the most pleasant things lose their essence. Even music, the only consolation for all life-forms, is no longer sufficient to put disoriented ideas back in their rightful place. What should one do in this desperate need, when one is saddened; [when] one finds no fitter comfort than in sacred and miserable readings?

To that end, I’ve found a fix of sorts to solace me: in society; sheet music; tedium. I’ve applied myself to the reading of Taurreden [i] in order to mollify my sentiments once more. For a person can find such comforting descriptions there, and the tears which come out of these become so joyful; to the most unhappy people they illustrate the sufferings which we experience. This is the way a person thinks, my très chère mademoiselle, when they cannot have the joy of being with you. For to what else can she compare the happiness we feel when a person is able to throw themselves at your feet?

I hope to have this grace again soon, but in the meantime, I take leave of you with the profoundest respect.

 

To my most belovèd demoiselle,

From her thoroughly devoted and obedient,

Servant and sister

 

Isabella Maria Ludovica[ii]

Schönbrunn, the 23th of Oc[tober]. 1761

 

 

[AC Benus]

 

 

 


[i] “Trauerreden “ is probably the Funeral Oration of Bossuet, writes Hrasky, op. cit, p. 215 [note per Badinter]

https://www.amazon.com/Trauerreden-German-Jacques-B%E2%84%97enigne-Bossuet/dp/B009UVDAZ2

[ii] “the privilege of possessing you” Isabella Maria Ludovica Isabelle de Bourbon-Parme «Je meurs d’amour pour toi» : Lettres à l’archiduchesse Maria-Christine, 1760-1763 [Isabelle de Bourbon-Parme "I am dying of love for you: Letters to Archduchess Maria-Christine, 1760-1763], Elisabeth Badinter [Editor] (Paris 2008), «Lettre 66 » ps. 108-109

_

as noted
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..