Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 588 Words
  • 221 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 93. Norm Reed "Oh, really?"

.

“Oh, really?”

Growing up farm-boy

 

As an author, I’ve always been drawn to firsthand accounts of what life was like in the recent past. A large part of the appeal lies in learning details that are better than fiction writers could ever imagine.

 

Currently I’m reading a documentary of real-life farm boys talking about what it was like growing up Gay in the 20th century. The following excerpt is from a person born in 1945 and raised in a strict Mennonite family in Ohio. Even so, his family’s reaction to his gender-bending floutings may not be what you think . . .

 

“When I started school, I was kind of a mama’s boy. But one thing I made sure I knew how to do was tie my shoes. My sisters drilled me till I got it right. When we had gym in first grade we played in our stocking feet, and I knew how to tie my shoes, but a lot of the cute little boys didn’t know how. If it was a good-looking boy, I would make sure that I was the one who helped put his shoes on. I’d put his foot in my crotch and tie his shoes for him.

We were never allowed to mention anything related to sex or pregnancy at home. One morning, when I was about ten years old, I was lying in bed rubbing myself, and it felt good. I ejaculated and I was so scared about it. I thought I was real sick; that I had done something wrong to my body. The next day I said, “Mom, I don’t know what happened, but white stuff came out of me.” She just said, “Oh, really?”

A lot of times I would take walks so I could masturbate. It wasn’t like I could go into the bathroom and close the door, because we had no door on the bathroom; just a curtain. I couldn’t do it in bed because my brother and my grandmother were lying right there. It was just such a hassle; I couldn’t be alone to do anything. We were always so afraid of getting caught at anything we did. Mom or Dad or somebody might be watching. And then, because it was such a hush-hush thing, I felt guilty doing it.

Sometimes, when Mom and Dad would go away for a couple of hours, I would go up to Mom’s closet and dress up in her high heels and dresses. I wasn’t five or six, trying to play mama. I was twelve or thirteen, and I thought dresses were so comfortable. I did that for a number of years, and at the time they didn’t know anything about it, until I began wearing her outfits to work in the fields sometimes. It was no big deal. “Oh, Norm’s got Mom’s dress on again.” Once we were out in the field spreading cow shit, and there I was in Mom’s high heels, her white gloves and a dress, with my pitchfork. They just kind of accepted it, except one day when I was down by the barn in one of her better dresses. A damned goat got started chewing on the dress, and I thought, oh no, Mom’s going to really be pissed off, so I backed away, and the goat ripped it right off of me. But other than that, no one ever said anything about it.”

—Norn Reed,

1994 interview concerning

events of 1956-1960

 

 

 

 

_

as noted
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

12 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Wow, his parents were much more restrained than most parents I know....

Thanks, ReaderPaul. I'm typing up the next part of the interview right now. He speaks of his experience being cut out from the church for his orientation, and of his younger brother's coming out too. Stay tuned :) 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

This narrative amazes me for its contrast with today’s headlines and melodramatic political hysteria. In simple, matter of fact times, Reed describes a kind of acceptance completely unattainable for far too many kids today. Thanks for sharing this. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 6/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, Parker Owens said:

This narrative amazes me for its contrast with today’s headlines and melodramatic political hysteria. In simple, matter of fact times, Reed describes a kind of acceptance completely unattainable for far too many kids today. Thanks for sharing this. 

Thank you, Parker. The gender flaunting aspects of Norm Reed's account stood out to me right away. The current hysteria that has girls being subjugated by schools to wear skirts, or else -- while boys are granted legal permission to wear whatever they like -- speaks well to our backward era. Norm's times were more American than ours, sadly. But that's what Gop-spread fears of "too many" rights and freedoms have done to this once [calmer] nation. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Respectfully! but  'once calm nation' ?? - did you really just say that? Like my own country, with its history of political andvsocial subjugation of the 'ordinary' and in particular ethnic minority groups, of many other minority groups ie:  persons living with physical and mental health disabilities, people with alternative spiritual values and those of us Rainbow People who express our love for our fellow humans in non- conformative ways....?   I think you get my drift! Apologies if you find my comment pedantic. As an educator, I feel we need to be precise in such essential descriptions of our realities, for our childrens' sakes,do we not?

🙂   🙏🏽

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Saavikam17 said:

Respectfully! but  'once calm nation' ?? - did you really just say that? Like my own country, with its history of political andvsocial subjugation of the 'ordinary' and in particular ethnic minority groups, of many other minority groups ie:  persons living with physical and mental health disabilities, people with alternative spiritual values and those of us Rainbow People who express our love for our fellow humans in non- conformative ways....?   I think you get my drift! Apologies if you find my comment pedantic. As an educator, I feel we need to be precise in such essential descriptions of our realities, for our childrens' sakes,do we not?

🙂   🙏🏽

You're right. But the antics of the Gops today make William F. Buckley's calling Gore Vidal a f*gg*t on live TV calm by comparison.

However, in deference to your point, I've edited my comment to read this once calmer nation, as of course, we are speaking of comparatives, not absolutes  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
Link to comment

🙏🏽

Thank you for your reply and respect to you for taking such conciliatory action, Sirrah!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..