Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 238 Words
  • 161 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 96. Notes on Farm Brother Couples

.

Notes on Farm Brother Couples

 

“Roger and Bill were bachelors who lived together on a farm in our community. There weren’t many bachelors who lived together around there, and in high school, I had a feeling that something was different about them. ‘They’re war buddies,’ was the excuse. They really were war buddies, from the Korean War; one of them had rescued the other. Bill was a native of the farm where they lived and had inherited it from his parents. They had beef cattle and did some farming. They also had a ranch out in Colorado, where they spent part of the year.

When I was about twenty-five, I took off from graduate school and moved back home for the summer, the last summer I spent on the farm. One night, I was in town drinking, and Roger was there. By that time, I had a pretty good idea that he was Gay. We started drinking together, and then he said something about going to his place. Bill was away, and Roger and I ended up having sex. […] He was a real good-time person. I would ask him, “So who’s Gay around here?” and he would say, “You don’t want to know.” I think it meant that there were a lot of husbands around who had been friends of his.”

—Martin Scherz,

1994 interview concerning

events of 1976-1977

 

 

 

_

as noted
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for posting these kinds of vignettes of lives that lay beyond my vision as a young person growing up. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

Thanks for posting these kinds of vignettes of lives that lay beyond my vision as a young person growing up. 

Mine too. I believe I've said somewhere or other on GA that the whole concept of "Farmer Brothers" as couples was implanted in my knowledge as a boy of about twelve. My mother bought a six-foot visca Christmas tress from the late 1940s at an auction in town, and a lady came up to us later to say the tree was bought new by "Framer Brothers" who lived just outside of town. The woman put such a suggestive tone on brothers that I asked my mom later what she meant. My mom -- bless her -- told me. And this how I came to know there were such couples dotted all around the American landscape  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've been thinking more about the line “You don’t want to know.” Perhaps Roger had closer-to-home encounters with members of Martin's immediate family. Gay runs in every generation, you know :yes:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..