Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 282 Words
  • 322 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 82. Louis Stimac "We would never let it happen again"

On the birth of the

Gay Liberation Movement

 

We moved in a short span of time from a sense that something was wrong with us – to the realization something was radically wrong with society. In one quick and bright flash, we experienced a revelation: we had been mistreated; we were among the oppressed. We had been a silenced majority of invisible men and invisible women. We were ‘unspeakable’ and unknown for so long, that generations of us had found comfort in our own abuse.

No more.

As we changed our minds, we changed our world. We moved from various forms of self-negation and self-destruction to newfound outrage and outward action. We moved from hiding our affectionate natures – to affirming publicly the best parts of our being.

We experienced an epic shift in our sense of self. We experienced ourselves as instigators of a Movement for social change. We experienced ourselves as history makers. We experienced ourselves as revolutionaries. Some said, 'I'm comfortable in my closet; I embrace my fear, my shame; leave me alone.' And still we marched forward.

From same-sex love being a personal and devastating fate, a private secret shame, a prison sentence from which there was no parole, a curse of endless sorrow and despair, we moved with often dizzying speed towards sweeping, intoxicating feelings of self-acceptance, love, and liberation.

The heterosexual dictatorship tried to keep us out of sight and out of mind. But now, the people of the shadows were in the light, and there was no going back to what once was. That time was over. And we would never let it happen again.

—Louis Stimac,

1978

 

spacer.png

 

 

_

as noted
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Louis Stimac founded the action group the Gay People's Union, and was appointed by the State of Wisconsin as its first, resident Gay History scholar.

His optimism and his sense of unity needs to be revived in the LGBTI2S+ Community, for never more than now -- with the wicked Gop-addled Supreme Court (so-called) -- rolling back American rights and freedoms on a daily basis, and bible-humping zealots burning Gay books, "the heterosexual dictatorship" is stronger than ever.

Every day, they attempt to erase us; and every day, we let them. Shame on us   

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Strong, proud and true words. I understand this so well having lived this change from my puberty in the early 60's to today. I salute those who championed these changes.  Thanks for this piece AC!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Strong, proud and true words. I understand this so well having lived this change from my puberty in the early 60's to today. I salute those who championed these changes.  Thanks for this piece AC!

Thanks for reading and commenting, Terry. There is still much work to be done

  • Love 2
Link to comment

The speed with which views changed seemed dizzying. And yet, the speed with which our hopes for the freedom to love and live without fear are being eroded is dizzying too.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thanks for sharing this reminder.  Somehow, I slept through that period of time - partly because I was in the military, and partly because, to quote from the above:  'I'm comfortable in my closet; I embrace my fear, my shame; leave me alone.'

And to quote from a different context, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..