Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,020 Words
  • 250 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 102. Unknown - "San Francisco Callboys"

**some sexy content ahead**

.

How to get 'a shine' in Old SF

 

“I was 12 when I came to San Francisco, having run away from my home in a small town in Oregon. It was about 1903.

I did odd jobs, but my primary means of making a living was under the guise of shining men's shoes. In actual fact, I sucked their cocks for pay, which, I suppose, made me one of the turn-of-the-century boy prostitutes.

There were even boy houses in those days, though their existence was a carefully guarded secret, known only to men and boys, and even so, only to those “in the know.” I'm sure that upper-class men and boys assumed that much of what they heard was merely fanciful rumor.

Many of the regular whorehouses had boys “on call.” I first got into prostitution when I became acquainted with other runaways and boys of the streets. They were tough kids. They had to be, or else they wouldn't have survived.

In those days, the streets were dimly lit by gaslight. The approach was almost always made by the customer. A guy would ask a passing boy for a shoeshine. If he wanted more than just a shine, we would go into an alley and he would take his cock out of his pants.

Kneeling down, pretending to shine his shoes, we could suck quite easily, and if anyone approached, we stopped sucking and started shining. It was easy to hear someone coming: most of the sidewalks were of wooden planking.

At first I would spit out the load, but later I learned to like the taste and would swallow. I only spit it out if the guy didn't appeal to me. Lots of seamen would pay 25¢ for a blow job. Some of the biggest loads I ever got were from those seamen. […]

A boy named Manny approached me one evening for a four-way. A rich saloon owner liked to have three boys at a time. I went with him and we all stripped. The guy was in his early 50s. He liked to have one boy suck him while the other two stood by and he could feel them up, running his hands all over their bodies, and playing with their cocks.

He would stop the boy sucking him and have one of the others take over. Eventually, all three boys would suck his cock. He would time us by counting, each boy making ten slides up and down his cock, then another boy. We went on like this, 10 strokes apiece at a time. Whichever boy was lucky enough to get his load got $20 in addition to the fee he paid each of us. He was married and had three daughters who considered themselves “up in the world.”

I knew some boys who signed on as cabin boys after the captain had become taken with them. The kid was, for all intents and purposes, just a piece of ass for the captain at sea. Most of the boys who signed on as cabin boys loved being fucked. Sometimes the first mate would get to fuck the boy too, but the crew usually let the boy alone, fearing the captain's anger.

I was a shoeshine boy until I was 16. You were considered a man at that age. Also, I was too old for the trade; the men really liked the younger boys better.

But I never gave up cocksucking and I got a lot of cock.

When I was in my 20s and 30s, I would have liked to visit a shoeshine boy myself, but times had changed and there just weren't any anymore.”

—Unknown,[i]

regarding events 1903-1907

 

 

 


[i] “How to get ‘a shine’ in Old SF” an account sent to Boyd McDonald by an unknown eyewitness. Reprinted in Meat. How Men Look, Act, Walk, Talk, Dress, Undress, Taste & Smell, Volume 1, San Francisco 1981, ps. 107-108, under the title Gay San Francisco: 1903

The author’s comments on ships’ stewards being sexually available exclusively to captain and first mate is borne out by the traditional sea song known as “The Handsome Cabin Boy.” This ballad tells the story of one such young “man” becoming pregnant and having a child on ship, and the captain and first mate not knowing which one is the father.

 

“The Handsome Cabin Boy”

 

‘Tis of a pretty female
As you may understand
Her mind being bent for rambling
Unto some foreign land.


She dressed herself in sailor’s clothes
Or so it does appear
And then hired with a captain
To serve him for a year.


His cheeks – they were like roses
And his hair rolled in a curl,
The sailors often smiled and said
He looked just like a girl.


But eating of the captain’s “biscuit”
His colour did destroy
And the waist did swell of pretty Ned,
The handsome cabin boy.

‘Twas in the bay of Biscay
Our gallant ship did plow
One night among the sailors
Was a fearful flurry and row.

They tumbled from their hammocks
For their sleep it did destroy
And they swarmed about the groaning
Of the handsome cabin boy

“Oh, doctor, dear; oh, doctor,”
The cabin boy did cry.
“My time has come, I am undone
And I will surely die.”

The doctor come a-runnin’
And a-smilin’ at the fun
To think a sailor lad should have
A daughter or a son.

 

The sailors when they saw the joke
They all did stand and stare;
The child belonged to none of them,
They solemnly did swear.


The captain’s mate, he says to him,
“My dear, I wish you joy,
For ‘tis either you or me’s belayed
This handsome cabin boy!”

 

So each man took his tote of rum

And he drunk success to trade,

And likewise to the cabin boy

Who was neither man nor maid.

 

“Here’s hoping storms don’t rise again

our sailors to destroy,

and here’s hoping the child’s a whore

like the handsome cabin boy.”

 

https://youtu.be/8hmM7nXiZEg

 

 

_

as noted
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

$20 in 1903 money was a fabulous sum!

Just think how this 'reward' lured the boys to make sure each of their ten strokes counted, all leading towards the ultimate pay off ;) 

A sexier game of musical chairs cannot be imagined, imo ❤️

Edited by AC Benus
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

This installment opens the window on our experience over a century ago. That  life has been as dimly illuminated as the gas lit streets of that era. It makes me wonder how the shoeshine boys oof this story must have viewed the stock character shoeshine boys in films three decades later. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

This installment opens the window on our experience over a century ago. That  life has been as dimly illuminated as the gas lit streets of that era. It makes me wonder how the shoeshine boys oof this story must have viewed the stock character shoeshine boys in films three decades later. 

That's a good point, Parker. According to Scotty Bowers, the tradition was alive and well in Chicago in the 1930s when he was engaged in the same activities. And I think of some of the photographs taken later by the likes of Stanley Kubrick -- and others -- showing the very intense relationships between shoe shine boys and their patrons, like the photographers. Anyway, I think we should never be afraid to look at the past with open eyes and non-judgemental minds  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, AC Benus said:

Anyway, I think we should never be afraid to look at the past with open eyes and non-judgemental minds  

It’s the only way. And one which if only could be (re)adopted in reporting current events…….

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Gary L said:

It’s the only way. And one which if only could be (re)adopted in reporting current events…….

That's right. Current events like the Gops' modern book burning. Even The Kite Runner is on "their (hit) list", presumably because it even dares to mention child abuse. What an age we're being forced to live through

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..