Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 392 Words
  • 847 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 16. George Sand to Daniel Stern

.

George Sand to Daniel Stern

(that is, Amantine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin to Marie d’Agoult)

 

I started on foot at three in the morning, fully intending to be back by eight o'clock; but I lose myself in the lanes; I forget myself on the banks of the river; I run after butterflies; and I get home at midday in a state of torrefaction impossible to describe.

You have no idea of all the dreams I dream during my walks in the sun. I fancy myself in the golden days of Greece.

In this happy country where I live, [one] may often go for six miles without meeting a human creature. The flocks are by themselves in pastures well enclosed by fine hedges; so the illusion can last for some time. One of my chief amusements, when I have [gone out] some distance, where I don't know the paths, is to fancy I am wandering over some other country with which I discover some resemblance. I recollect having strolled in the Alps, and I fancied myself for hours in America. Now I picture to myself an Arcadia in Berry. Not a meadow, not a cluster of trees which, under so fine a sun, does not appear to me quite Arcadian.

To throw yourself into the lap of mother nature: to take her really for mother and sister; stoically and religiously to cut off from your life what is mere gratified vanity; obstinately to resist the proud and the wicked; to make yourself humble with the unfortunate, to weep with the misery of the poor; nor desire another consolation than the putting down of the rich; to acknowledge no other God than H[e] who ordains justice and equality upon men; to venerate what is good, to judge severely what is [merely powerful], to live on very little, to give away nearly all, in order to re-establish primitive equality and bring back to life again the Divine institution: that is the religion I shall proclaim in a little corner of my own, and that I aspire to preach to my twelve apostles under the lime-trees in my garden.

—George Sand[i]

private letter of 1836

 

 

[translator unknown]

 

 

 

 


[i] “George Sand to Daniel Stern” George Sand The Love of Friends (New York 1997), ps. 98-99.

https://archive.org/details/loveoffriends00cons/page/97/mode/2up

 

_

as noted
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ab beautiful piece. I can really see the sunshine, even it is raining here. 🙂 And both incredible strong women.

Alfred de Musset said about Amantine:

„Ich habe den ganzen Tag gearbeitet. Am Abend hatte ich zehn Verse gemacht und eine Flasche Schnaps getrunken; sie hatte einen Liter Milch getrunken und ein halbes Buch geschrieben.“ (“I worked all day. In the evening I had written ten verses and drank a bottle of schnapps; she had drunk a liter of milk and written half a book."

Die Milch machts. Milk rocks. hehe

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Lyssa said:

Ab beautiful piece. I can really see the sunshine, even it is raining here. 🙂 And both incredible strong women.

Alfred de Musset said about Amantine:

„Ich habe den ganzen Tag gearbeitet. Am Abend hatte ich zehn Verse gemacht und eine Flasche Schnaps getrunken; sie hatte einen Liter Milch getrunken und ein halbes Buch geschrieben.“ (“I worked all day. In the evening I had written ten verses and drank a bottle of schnapps; she had drunk a liter of milk and written half a book."

Die Milch machts. Milk rocks. hehe

Wonderful comments, Lyssa. Thank you! Much of Sand's poetry is remarkably beautiful. I have yet to dive into her prose work, but it must be incredible too. Thanks again  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..