Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 476 Words
  • 180 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 106. Leonard Bernstein – “My love for him is nerve-wracking and guts-tearing and wonderful”

.

Leonard Bernstein –

“My love for him is nerve-wracking and guts-tearing and wonderful”

 

 

Leonard Bernstein

Born 1918 in US

Died in 1990

 

 

In 1988 Leonard Bernstein said of himself, “Most people do think of me as just another pinko f*gg*t; a bleeding heart; a do-gooder.” After a pause, the composer and conductor added, “But that’s what I am.” Bernstein was also one of the most popular and influential figures in twentieth-century music.

Bernstein made his debut in 1943, called in at the last minute and without rehearsal to conduct the New York Philharmonic in place of an ailing Bruno Walter. In 1958 Bernstein was the first American to be the fulltime conductor of the Philharmonic. In 1969, he was named conductor laureate for life.

Bernstein attracted a wide popular audience through his appearances on television. He also composed symphonies, including Jeremiah, The Age of Anxiety, and the Kaddish; ballets, including Fancy Free, Facsimile, and Dybbuk; and Broadway musicals, including On the Town, Wonderful Town, Candide, and West Side Story.

Charles Kaiser, in The Gay Metropolis, wrote of the impact of West Side Story: “Thousands of Gay Americans fell in love with West Side Story when they were children in the fifties. To many Gay adults coming of age in the sixties, the romance, violence, danger, and mystery so audible on the original cast album all felt like integral parts of the Gay life they had embraced. The lyrics of ‘Somewhere’ in particular seemed to speak directly to the Gay Experience before the age of liberation.” Additional resonance was provided by Gay actor Larry Kert’s portrayal of the central character, Tony.

As a young man in New York City, Bernstein had many relationships, mostly with young men. While visiting Israel in 1948, he fell in love with Azariah Rapoport, a handsome Israeli soldier who was his guide. Bernstein wrote, “I can’t quite believe that I should have found all the things I’ve wanted rolled into one. It’s a hell of an experience – nerve-wracking and guts-tearing and wonderful. It’s changed everything.”

When he was up for the chief conducting position with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Bernstein was advised to get married by Dimitri MITROPOULOS, music director of the New York Philharmonic, and one of Bernstein’s exes, because marrying would have helped counter the gossip about Bernstein’s [orientation] and appease the conservative BSO board. Bernstein married Felicia Montealegre Cohn (1922—1978) in 1951 but still didn’t get the BSO job.

During most of his married life, Bernstein tried to be as discreet as possible about his extramarital liaisons. He eventually left his wife to live with radio music director Tom Cothran. Some time after, Bernstein learned that his wife had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He moved back and cared for her until she died.

—Keith Stern,

2009

 

 

_

as noted
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As a biographer, Keith Stern has a naturally beneficial way of bringing his subjects' own descriptions of themselves into his write-ups. In the one above on Bernstein [Keith Stern Queers in History (Dallas 2009), ps. 60-61], we hear the famous man call himself an f-word, and doing so in 1988, at the height of the AIDS public panic, when no one other than a 100% Gay person would out himself with such a bigoted word. He himself confirms in one term that he was never Bi, even though he'd been to bed with women.*

Why is that important? Because Keith Stern then provides us with the composer's own glorious words of what it was like for Bernstein to be a reciprocated love relationship with a man: "nerve-wracking and guts-tearing and wonderful."

No amount of wishing that Bernstein were not so steadfastly Gay can make his actual statements fade (except by suppressing them, erasing them, etc.).

Non-Community member Bradley Cooper is absconding with this piece of Gay History by trying to present Bernstein as 50-50 in his current movie project. Cooper plans on black-facing a performance as Bernstein (that is, straight lisping a Gay part that is he is misappropriating). And yet, where is the LGBTI2S+ outrage of such mammyism of Queer folks on film, in frickin' 2024?!

I have prepared this entry today, because a quick search on the internet will show that there is far more shaming of Cooper for trying to play a Jew than trying to play a Gay man. Where is our integrity as a minority group? Where is our protecting of our own history for our up and coming Queer kids so they can see some truth in art?

 

-------------------------

*As if straight guys are automatically called 'bi' if they've fooled around with a dude. No, they'd never accept that, and neither should Gay men who've slept with women be automatically labeled as Bi by those who do not want to think of them as 'f*gg*ts'. That's bigotry, plain and simple.) 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

The other type of erasure is when people who ARE bi, such as myself, are told by gays and straights alike, to "pick a side, already."  I like both genders, and are attracted to some members of both, sexually .  But, as pointed out indirectly above, just because one is gay, bi, or straight, does not mean it is impossible to "perform sexually" to the non-preferred gender.

Fascinating, @AC Benus.  I was not aware of the above with regard to Bernstein.  Thank you.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

The other type of erasure is when people who ARE bi, such as myself, are told by gays and straights alike, to "pick a side, already."  I like both genders, and are attracted to some members of both, sexually .  But, as pointed out indirectly above, just because one is gay, bi, or straight, does not mean it is impossible to "perform sexually" to the non-preferred gender.

Fascinating, @AC Benus.  I was not aware of the above with regard to Bernstein.  Thank you.

Hugs, because anyone saying "choose" misses the point that love is love, and love is what matters. Attraction is one thing, but commitment entirely another. True members of the Bi community, like yourself, should never have to accept anyone telling them what they feel is not real. That goes for everyone as well; no one has a say in how we feel other than ourselves.

With Bernstein specifically, as far as I'm aware, he never wrote about being in love with a woman. Caring, yes, as most Gay men are to a fault, and he took care of his wife even though their reason for getting married was career-based and not due to emotions

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I admire your ability to cut to the heart of things in your commentary. It is not about choosing sides, as you say. Love is indeed love.  I have come to an appreciation of Bernstein as a conductor later in life; I already believed him to be a gifted composer and a talented exponent of American music. Biographers have noted the generational contrast between two great Gay composers, Bernstein and Copeland. The latter kept his orientation discreet, the former was at times far more open. But neither man was bi. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

I admire your ability to cut to the heart of things in your commentary. It is not about choosing sides, as you say. Love is indeed love.  I have come to an appreciation of Bernstein as a conductor later in life; I already believed him to be a gifted composer and a talented exponent of American music. Biographers have noted the generational contrast between two great Gay composers, Bernstein and Copeland. The latter kept his orientation discreet, the former was at times far more open. But neither man was bi. 

Yes, both composers appear in Martin Greif's Gay Book of Days (New York 1982) in the list of "those not to be named under threat of legal action by their publicists." But "L.B. -- American composer" and "A.C. -- American composer" are still clear as a bell (as is another on the list G.G -- American composer [George Gershwin]). 

I believe the interview Keith Stern cites in his Bernstein bio is the actual moment Lenny came out, fully. Now I wonder if Copeland ever "set the record Gay" or not. He lived a long time

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

I believe the interview Keith Stern cites in his Bernstein bio is the actual moment Lenny came out, fully. Now I wonder if Copeland ever "set the record Gay" or not. He lived a long time

I cannot swear to it, as I can’t recall the source, but I don’t think Copeland ever did, certainly not as Bernstein did. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..