Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 522 Words
  • 249 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 91. AC Benus "Can you imagine?"

.

Roget’s list of famous Gay partners

from an email to a friend

 

This may interest you. Decades ago now, I was a formative writer and blessed to stumble upon a 1960s edition of Roget’s Thesaurus. This was at the yearly Famous-Barr charity book event, where all proceeds went to help support the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra (the 2nd oldest in North America; 4th oldest in the world :) ). People donated books and other paper ephemera, and Famous set up tents at the back of their Clayton store’s parking lot.

I feel lucky because this updated version of Roget’s work retained Roget’s format and content. It’s a book about thought and thinking; not words. Most the so-called ‘Roget’s today are butchered into dictionary forms and have nothing to do with that brilliant man’s masterpiece. He grouped words and phrases by topic.

Anyway, Platen’s use of “friend” – which retains far more intimacy in German usage today than the 20th century sanitized version of friend in English – had me turning to Roget’s mid-19th century entry on intimate same-sex relationships, looking for terms to use in my translations. And on the same page was an interesting footnote listing well-known ancient or literary "friends" (partners, really).

Some here I’ve never heard of! Can you imagine? And Roget’s inclusion of Castor and Pollux as partners was a real eye-opener! But, Roget cuts through all the crap about the boys being “twins” and “half-brothers” (how is that even supposed to be possible?!) and made me realize I had the liberating info in my head all along. Both twins and brothers are ancient Greek terms for same-sex partners.* Thinking of them as that kind of brother completely explains why ancient statuary of the men shows them as extremely tender and connected: of course, theirs is a love-match, not a blood-tie!

But sadly this revelation comes as even more confirmation at how convoluted the powers-that-be will resort to take history away from the living LGBTI2S+ Community today; our own history, which by rights belongs to us, not them. However, it seems any amount of ludicrous twisting is more “comfortable” to their bigoted minds than a queer truth to be told.

Anyway, my discovery for the week!

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

-------------------------------

 * Total footnote, but the term for twin in Greek is related to our name “Thomas,” meaning “the twin,” as in somebody’s partner. You may not have realized it, but all the names of Jesus’ circle of followers in the New Testament are Greek or Latin slang; they are identity-covering nicknames (similar to gang names, or street names). Peter, for example, is indeed the rock, but is also – exactly as the word remains in English today – a bawdy allusion to a stiff prick. It gives the bible quote “You are the rock (the erection) upon which I build my church” a whole new, blue coloration. Oh, the amount of detail they keep us from ;)

—AC Benus, [i]

May 3rd, 2023

 

 

 

 

 

 


[i] “Roget’s list of famous Gay partners” AC Benus, private email of May 3rd, 2023.

 

as noted
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

AC Benus

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Castor and Pollux, 17th century star chart

 

spacer.png

Ancient Roman copy of Greek portrait of Castor and Pollux

 

 

 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment

During my first posting in the military, I frequently visited a beach on a nearby reservoir.  Though it was a hangout for a wide spectrum of the population, a number of the regulars were Gay - my first exposure to a group of men who would even hint as to their sexual orientation.  In conversing with them, the word "friend" was regularly used with a specific emphasis which made the meaning quite clear.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Backwoods Boy said:

During my first posting in the military, I frequently visited a beach on a nearby reservoir.  Though it was a hangout for a wide spectrum of the population, a number of the regulars were Gay - my first exposure to a group of men who would even hint as to their sexual orientation.  In conversing with them, the word "friend" was regularly used with a specific emphasis which made the meaning quite clear.

Yes, indeed. Most of the anthologies on same-sex love published before Stonewall use some variant of friend in the title. There's another essay kicking around in my noodle about which language is 'gayer' -- French or English. The answer is pretty clear, but it involves peeling back the layers of cover-up happening since the concept of Gay people having a "condition" began to circulate widely.

That's why I'm fascinated to learn that Freund in German retains all of its traditional meanings, like boyfriend, partner, lover, spouse, husband, mate. German is not alone though, and amico in Italian is basically the same    

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Very interest information AC!  I did have fun looking up the meaning of the disciple's names.  The one that got me laughing was Phillip.  It's Greek and means "horse-loving".

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, raven1 said:

Very interest information AC!  I did have fun looking up the meaning of the disciple's names.  The one that got me laughing was Phillip.  It's Greek and means "horse-loving".

Thanks, Terry. Interestingly enough, Apostles Phillip and Bartholomew are actually named as a couple in the same-sex wedding ceremonies the Church offered people starting in the 7th century; the exact same moment the Church began offering opposite-sex wedding ceremonies. It was at this time the bureaucracy of the Roman world finally fell apart and Churches had to step in to perform civil affairs.   

Link to comment

Lest anyone feel that a few minutes spent romping the interwebs will provide them with "facts" to dispute my hard-won knowledge, I'd say they have to read at least as much as I have on the subject. To that end, I've typed up this very bare-bones bibliography for those wishing to get caught up (naturally, there are many more titles to explore). It took me a lot longer than five minutes to pull these tomes from my shelf and document them, but I feel one must defend, defend, defend against Gay-erasure everywhere it lurks in the dark. People who challenge dearly held mis-beliefs owe it to those who'll come after to cite, cite, cite, till the cows come home :yes:

 

- Theodore W. Jennings, Junior The Man Jesus Loved: Homoerotic Narratives from the New Testament (Cleveland 2003)

 

- Will Roscoe Jesus and the Shamanistic Tradition of Same-Sex Love (San Francisco 2004)

 

- Theodore W. Jennings, Junior Jacob’s Wound: Homoerotic Narratives in the Literature of Ancient Israel (New York 2005)

 

- Martti Nissinen Homoerotism in the Biblical World: A Historical Perspective [Kirsi Stjerna, Translator] (Minneapolis 1998)

 

- The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ: from an Ancient Manuscript Recently Discovered in a Buddhist Monastery in Tibet by Nicholas Notovitch [Virchard R. Gandhi, Editor] (Chicago 1907)

 

- Burton L. Mack The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins (Brisbane 1993)

 

- Bart D. Ehrman The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed (Oxford 2006)

 

- James H. Wilson Iscariot’s Bitter Love (London 1912)

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..