Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 491 Words
  • 180 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Prose - 90. Kim Addonizio "Preface to Persistent Voices"

.

Preface to Persistent Voices

 

In the early 1990s, another poet, Beret Strong, and I decided to offer a free workshop for people with HIV/AIDS. We got permission to use a room in San Francisco's Davies Hospital, got the word out by posting flyers around town, and ended up with a core group of four to seven men who came regularly to read their work and to talk about their illness, their lives, and poetry. It was a small gesture that we made, as teachers and poets, in response to what was going on all around us. The Castro was full of gaunt men. They walked slowly with the aid of another man's arm around their shoulders, or were pushed along in wheelchairs, bundled in blankets even on warm days. Everyone seemed to know someone who had died, or was dying. Getting out of my car in the hospital parking lot one afternoon, I watched a man carry another in his arms, up the hill away from the hospital – was he taking him home to die? Had they been turned away for lack of insurance? There was no way to know. I went inside and tried to help the students in our workshop tell their own stories, because they needed to tell them, because they wanted someone to know who they were, because they wanted to create something out of the circumstances of their lives.

A writing group for the dying – and these men were dying; all but one would be gone within the next couple of years – might appear to be a grim enterprise. But what I remember from the workshop belies that idea. There was sorrow, of course; one man whose lover also had AIDS described their arguments over which of them would die first. A man in his twenties was reeling from his recent diagnosis. But beyond that, beyond the fear of death and the humiliations of the body, there were jokes and laughter, and a sense of a shared endeavor. There were intense discussions about word choices and metaphors, about line breaks and imagery, interrupted by the occasional Code Blue being called over the intercom. There was something I can only call attention: the moment attended to, experienced, lived in.

So it is with this anthology of poets. Poetry is a record of consciousness, bearing witness to life fully lived, and as such it can transcend even death. Poems bring us the spirits of those who wrote them. Those spirits are variously amused, grieving, angry, longing, observing, questioning. They are here, in these pages, available to us. We encounter them each time we read their words. For anyone with HIV or affected by it, and for those who have not encountered it before, this anthology is a love letter: to you, for you, who are mortal and alive, paying attention to our brief hour.

—Kim Addonizio,

2009

 

 

 

 
as noted
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is the opening of an anthology of Queer verse, Persistent Voices: Poetry by Writers Lost to AIDS 

For those who have read my Second Sight, I can inform you Davies Medical Center is in Duboce Triangle, and in fact just a block from where I used to live on Noe Street.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Thank You for This New Posting, I Look Forward to Reading More in the Future .  I Lived With My Late Partner in the 4300 block of 19th Street ,We Rented a Beautiful House with Good Friends for 5 Happy Years There 🌻

  • Love 2
Link to comment
39 minutes ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You for This New Posting, I Look Forward to Reading More in the Future .  I Lived With My Late Partner in the 4300 block of 19th Street ,We Rented a Beautiful House with Good Friends for 5 Happy Years There 🌻

Wonderful, Johnny! You lived in a great spot. Thanks for reading and commenting

  • Love 2
Link to comment

It’s not surprising that this group acquired an intense focus on the moment as each writer lived it. But their words and courage live, and can teach us still. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 5/2/2023 at 12:51 PM, Parker Owens said:

It’s not surprising that this group acquired an intense focus on the moment as each writer lived it. But their words and courage live, and can teach us still. 

Thanks, Parker. Personally, this piece is so beautiful, it can bring me to tears. In just a few words, Addonizio paints the times that were already fading from memory in 2009: focusing on love.

Perhaps it's me, but I'm intimate with the Davies Medical Center parking garage, and I can't just see the portrait she paints of one man carrying another on to their fate; back to home. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..