Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 15. Chapter 15 - Defiance

Hi guys. Yesterday was a very hard but very special day for me. Like I wrote last morning, I woke up after not having slept very much at all and it was very scary because I don’t understand why it happened. I suppose part of it was that I was nervous because I had to travel to another city for a job interview and, because of the anxiety, anything that makes me leave what I consider to be my ‘safe places’ makes me feel very bad. It’s just like the thing I have about not going out at night. If I have to go somewhere I am not familiar with, I feel very vulnerable and I get really scared. I’m working on it, though. And yesterday, even though I thought I wasn’t nervous enough about the trip to lose sleep over the entire thing, it might have definitely contributed.

After I gave up on trying to sleep and got out of bed, I was absolutely terrified, just like I wrote about. Not only had I not rested – in fact I’d had the worst night in quite some time – but I also needed to do something that even under normal circumstances would have made me feel nervous: travel somewhere else for a job interview. I was quite literally trembling as I sat down at my desk to write yesterday’s journal entry. I didn’t want to leave my house, and I didn’t know how on earth I was going to get the strength to go through the day without having slept. The lack of sleep really messes me up emotionally and it makes me feel like I can’t do anything.

But I left. I listened to a podcast in the hour or so it took me to get to my destination. I got there way too early and spent a very stressful half an hour waiting in a restaurant. They had music on and the songs that were playing made me feel even worse because a couple of them were sad. They made me feel like breaking down and crying even though I was in public.

And then… I got angry. I got defiant.

I don’t know how it happened, but something in my mind clicked and, even though I still felt like crap, I decided to kick the day’s ass. And I did.

I had my interview, it went very well. I felt good that I had done that. Then I returned home and the way back was easier. In fact, after I got off the bus and as I was walking home, I even felt a tiny bit proud of myself that I had challenged one of my biggest fears, going places that are unfamiliar, and done a good job of it. After I got home I could have just called it a day – after all, I hadn’t rested very well and what I had just done had taken a considerable amount of effort. But I wasn’t done yet.

I went to the gym even though it was much later than I normally go. That, again, was a challenge for me because if I don’t do my daily routine in the order it’s supposed to be done, I feel scared and I don’t want to do it anymore. If I don’t go to the gym at the exact time in the morning that I go, then part of me thinks that I have blown my chance and I can’t go until the next day. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but from where I stand it feels so definite. If I don’t go at this or that time, then I simply can’t bring myself to do it. But yesterday, I fought against that feeling and right as I came home I changed into my gym clothes and left for the gym. It was hard but I kept walking until I was at the gym. I had a good workout, although I did feel nervous and uneasy at being there at an unfamiliar time. But I was still mad, I was mad at the anxiety. And it reinforced my defiance. I told myself I was going to make this day a very very good one despite the horrible way in which it had started. And so, after finishing my workout I came home, and even offered to work in the afternoon for a couple of hours at my current job for an extra shift that needed to be covered. I had lunch, went to work. I barely had any downtime at all from the moment I started the day in the morning and I think it did me good. In the evening, after my shift was over, I called a friend and went out with him – after dark, despite my fear of darkness. I had fun. I talked with him a little bit about my day, but mostly we talked about whatever and it also did me good.

At night, when I finally came home again, it was cold and dark – but my heart was lighter. I sat in my living room with my little dog and I was exhausted, because I had just had one of the busiest days ever since my journey with this horrible anxiety began, but… I was thankful. And my anxiety had actually diminished, because of everything I had done despite it being so very hard. I cried, but they were good tears. I’d given it everything I had and I did kick the day’s ass. I wasn’t entirely relaxed, but I was relaxed enough to play video games for a little bit before going to bed and actually enjoy the activity. As I climbed into bed, I was very sleepy and I didn’t have any trouble falling asleep.

Today I woke up after about six hours of sleep, which wasn’t nearly enough since I’ve not been sleeping very well, but it’s a huge improvement over yesterday. It’s hard for me, when the morning has just started, to think that another entire day lies before me. As always, I get scared and won’t make it through. I still felt kind of trapped in my bed for a couple of hours and I feel uneasy, nervous, bad. But now, thanks to yesterday’s defiance, I can tell myself: you were able to take a day that started out even worse than today and transform it into a good day. Today should be easier. You can do this. You can do this.

I wrote yesterday's entry as I was feeling very bad emotionally, but I thought it very important to share how the day turned out in the end because it's a major milestone for me. I'm learning that the human spirit can do incredible things, and I'm so very thankful that I was able to have such a fulfilling day yesterday. I still felt kind of bad, of course, but my actions yesterday were me saying: I won't give up. Not even if it's super hard.
Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I loved to hear how you kicked yesterday's ass. And you took note of your own courage, and its effect on how you felt at the end of the day. I am enjoying this triumph, this victory over anxiety. Thank you for sharing your journey.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

When I had my issues, one of my mantras was telling myself I am a warrior... a Valkyrie who is stronger than the illness.  You, Albert, are a warrior too.  You got this.  :hug: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you so much, guys. I thought it was very important for me to actually sit down and go over that day because it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I needed to write it down so I can go back and read it when I’m not feeling as good.

Oddly enough, this is the first time in several weeks that I’ve had anything approaching insomnia and I’m finding this new challenge to be scary, even though I did tell myself that it’s going to be okay in the long run. During my periods of really bad depression, I used to sleep for hours and hours and hours. Right now, sleeping for around seven hours, which is what I managed last night, feels like way too little. If I wake up in the night and I don’t go right back to sleep, I have to start fighting the cycle of thoughts that seem to want to tell me that I won’t ever sleep again or something. Fortunately, it’s been two days now that I haven’t had trouble falling asleep in the first place, even if I do not end up sleeping as much as I would like. I need to learn how to be patient. I am trying to modify my morning routine to accommodate for this change. I use to write in my journal at night, when I would feel more calm, but now I am doing so in the morning because I have way too much time on my hands before it’s time to do my daily activities, but also because I think it’s helping me. Waking up so early is less scary if I know there is something waiting for me to do.

I suppose mornings will be challenging for a while still. Every day I fight against the fear of not being able to get through the day. But I need to focus on one day at a time, and today, even though I didn’t sleep super long, at least I feel better rested than yesterday and that is a step forward in the right direction. It may mean that this is just a small period of adjustment to whatever is going on my mind, and it may also mean that I am shifting towards not needing so much sleep. I wish I knew for sure, but the only thing I can do is hope and pray. I need to remember all the things I have done so far, all the small victories I have had. Even the fact that I have enough presence of mind to sit down today and write in the morning is already a huge step forward from how I was a couple of months ago.

This journey is not easy and this anxiety is awful. There are times when I just want to throw a tantrum and complain that I don’t want this, but I know that it will bring me nothing good. Instead, today I’m going to get started with yet another day, I’m going to give it my all, and perhaps I will feel better later. It’s what I tell myself every day. It’s one of the things that help me keep going.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..