Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 24. Chapter 24 - Don't feel

It’s been a rough week. Whether the fact that I have felt really anxious since Monday is due to some sort of cycle in my brain, or whether it was triggered by an outside event which I have not yet identified, I don’t know. I haven’t sat down to write in my journal since then, but I think it’s important to not give up on writing on here because it has helped me in the past and sometimes it gives me perspective.

When anxiety rises to the point that it eclipses every other emotion, it’s hard to think straight. I have found that it’s much harder for me to just think when I am feeling so anxious. Even simple decisions, like picking what I want to have for lunch, appear unsurmountable. For the last few days, I have been feeling like this and I’ve been desperately trying to find some way to deal with it, some way to make things more bearable.

I think I have come across something which has helped me and which made yesterday a little bit more bearable. It’s kind of a mental way to fight the crippling waves of anxiety and the negative emotions they bring with them. It’s very hard, but it is something to hold onto. It has become sort of my mantra for the last day and a half. I say to myself:

I don’t feel anything except the good things, if they come. I don’t feel. I don’t feel anything except the good things, if they come.

The thing with me is that I always give an emotional dimension to everything that happens throughout the day. I may have already talked about this, but it still holds true. Everything has an emotion attached to it even if its banality is overwhelmingly evident. Getting dressed in the morning: emotion. Watching a sunset: emotion. Eating a banana: emotion. The problem I’m having is that, since right now I am so anxious and depressed intermittently, most of the emotions I tack onto everyday events are negative. This means that negativity just piles up and keeps growing like a horrible snowball as it tumbles downhill. It is exhausting to have to deal with so many negative emotions all the time and that the only thing that happens is that my anxiety grows, locking me down in a vicious circle where I begin to fear everything around me and I grow ever more desperate, seeing no way out.

I was actually quite desperate a couple days ago when this thought first occurred to me: what if I, through an effort of will, stop adding emotion to the daily minutiae of life? I don’t mean that I should somehow remove emotion from everything, since that is impossible, but that instead I try to truly recognize that events that happen throughout the day are, for the most part, not intrinsically linked to an emotion, be it positive or negative. Events just… are. If I can somehow teach myself to look at events like looking at the morning sun, having breakfast, taking a shower, and all of these little things without obsessing about how I feel as I do them and whether each of them holds either positive or, much more frequently, negative affect, then I might give my mind a chance to rest.

I have been trying very hard to apply this and, surprisingly, it has helped me. It did yesterday: taking my dog out for a walk in the evenings has come to signify a very great deal to me, since it was while taking him out for a walk that I first experienced calm weeks and weeks ago. However, that very same association taxes me greatly because I keep on expecting to feel something similar to that wonderful epiphany every time I take him out to poop and that is not only unrealistic, but also emotionally tiresome. Yesterday, therefore, I tried to tell myself… What if taking my dog out is just – what if it’s just taking him out? No emotion is intrinsically part of the action itself. It is just taking the dog out. I might enjoy it, or I might not, but that depends on the circumstances once the action is being carried out. It is different to preemptively ascribe an affective dimension to the action and then stress out over whether it is positive or negative.

It worked. I just took him out and came back home – and then I forgot about it. Which is what I desperately want. I want to go back to the way I used to be before the panic attacks and the anxiety, the way I imagine most people are: doing their daily activities without obsessing over the emotional import of each and every one of them. Before my emotional problems became so strong, I remember that I used to do things without really thinking too much about them. Taking the bus to work was just taking the bus to work, not a symbolically difficult and negative emotional experience which had to be overcome each and every time. Preparing dinner was just preparing dinner because I was hungry, not this grand and exhausting declaration of defiance against the depression which wants me to stop taking care of myself and not eat or whatever…

I’m not sure I’m making any sense since I don’t know whether this phenomenon of attaching very strong emotions to everyday activities is something only I do or whether everyone does it, but I strongly suspect that most of us don’t. I have been very diligently reminding myself of this new mantra: I don’t feel anything except the good things if they come. By repeating this, it is easier to separate emotion from activity and to just get through the day. I am still open towards positive emotions, and in fact I have found that through this separation of the daily routine and my own emotional turmoil, I am able to function with less effort and less pain, which in turn has a positive effect in shifting the balance of emotions swirling around in my mind from completely negative to somewhat tolerable.

I only have a single day and a half-ish of data on this new technique of mine, but the results are promising. It’s not easy to keep this in mind all the time, but it is yet another tool I can maybe add to my toolbox to help me overcome this rough period in my life. It clears my mind a little bit and allows me to do things which will be beneficial for me in the long run, like yesterday, when, through constantly and willfully not allowing myself to obsess over what I was feeling, I was able to reorganize my bedroom into a much more effective layout such that everything is very neat and orderly. It’s a tiny thing, but it’s very significant to me, because living in a neat space is emotionally reassuring to me. I would not have been able to reorganize the bedroom had I been associating the reorganization with very strong emotions like I normally would have. I simply did it. I kept telling myself: there is no intrinsic emotional dimension to this activity. You can choose to give it one, or you can choose not to.

I’m hopeful that this technique will prove helpful in the long run. I wonder, does anyone else experience something similar?

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I think you are dealing with this in the right way. I think most of us don't associate emotion with each ordinary activity we do. We do experience emotion while doing activities which have some meaning for us.

 

The description of expecting the same level of enjoyment when doing the same activity is very similar to what addicts  are seeking when they take drugs. They are continually chasing the same elusive high, but it never is as good as the first time.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Your strategy seems to have borne some fruit. For this, I rejoice. For the burden you continue to bear, I send my best hugs.

 

Like @drpaladin, I cannot say that I respond to the routines and everyday experiences of life with conscious emotion. Yet your way of handling what you experience appears to have promise. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Like Parker and Dr. P, I can't say I ascribe emotion to everyday actions, but I understand the impulse to.  I have certain activities, routines... certain songs and movies, tv shows, etc. that are indelibly marked with emotional moments in my life.  Your approach seems to be helping you, so keeping it up sounds like a good idea.  I'm sorry you've been struggling.  :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hi guys. Thank you for your kind messages. It was kind of a rough weekend and so it is only today that I feel strong enough to actually write back. I have been adhering to this new technique I mentioned and it helped somewhat, but at the same time I have been experiencing increasing levels of anxiety that I cannot really explain and so it’s been a mixed bag, really. On the one hand, constantly reminding myself that not every single thing in the day needs to be emotionally meaningful is very helpful. Reading your comments, I see now that, just as I kind of suspected based on my own experience, emotion is not necessarily linked to everything we do, particularly when it is mundane stuff like brushing your teeth.

To me, though, just as I wrote about, even brushing my teeth is somehow a deeply emotional activity. I don’t know why and I am trying to teach myself not to focus too much on giving an emotional dimension to everything. Of course, things which are significant will be linked to an emotion, as well as positive or negative experiences, but I think one of the things that is exhausting me so much is the fact that not a moment goes by in the day when I am not either fighting against a negative emotion or exercising as much willpower as I can to prevent myself from doing so, or simply obsessing over my emotional state. Even things like going to the store turn into literal inner debates. Like yesterday, for example. I had to go to the store to buy some food but I was also feeling very anxious around the middle of the day. It went like this:

 

I need to get some food. I’m out of milk.

I’m scared of leaving the house. Leaving the house brings negative emotions. I have to stay inside.

This is irrational. I need to get some milk. I should go to the store – it won’t take long and it might even do me good. I remember that sometimes, when I was feeling bad, going to the store in the sunlight made me feel good. I could maybe even take my dog with me for company.

I can’t go. The mere fact that I have to clutch at memories of times when leaving the house helped me emotionally shows me just how sad and pathetic my mental state has become. Why bother? Maybe I should just give up. Everything hurts. There is no escaping the fear and anxiety.

I don’t want to go to that dark place. I’m putting my shoes on now. I’m going to go get my milk.

I won’t make it. If I’m having so much trouble with this one thing, how can I hope to face the rest of the day? I have work later. I don’t think I can make it…

I must remember not to give an emotional dimension to this activity. I have to go now before the other voice gets too strong. I have to go now, before it’s too late!

 

That’s an example of the inner debate that I have about everything. Not just going to the store but maybe things like sweeping the floor, writing an email, deciding what to wear. It’s incessant and it’s exhausting. It takes a lot out of me and sometimes I get scared that I will just shut down one day or something. I’m tired of feeling so wound up all the time. Today for example, a nightmare woke me up much earlier than usual and I was not able to go back to sleep, so I am in full damage control mode right now trying to avoid getting a panic attack because I feel like a failure for not sleeping until my usual time. It’s irrational and stupid, I know, but the emotions are there. I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do to fill the extra hour or so that waking up so early has created in the day. I’m terrified of feeling tired later on and having trouble doing all the activities I need to do. I’m confused because I honestly don’t know why I was not able to go back to sleep – sure, I had the nightmare, but I have had nightmares other nights and I have been able to go back to sleep. Maybe it’s just random. If so, though, it’s very very scary because it means I will never know when I might get a bad night.

I’m hanging on, though. Yesterday, for example, despite it being a rather anxiety-driven day, and a busy one at my job, I was able to calm down enough by evening time to actually enjoy walking my dog after I got home for the day. It had rained in the afternoon, and so the evening was cool and refreshing. It was as if though I could sense that the plants I passed as we walked were glad for the rain, and it lightened my heart to be able to spend a few relatively peaceful minutes just walking around the block, letting go of the stress of the day. The anxiety rose again after I returned home, but at least I had those moments to remember. I think I need to hold onto those memories and not the bad ones. Memory is malleable, after all. If I focus on the good things and try to ignore the bad ones, maybe it will be better for me in the long run, by helping me build long-lasting, positive memories.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I understand your inner dialogue quite well.  :hug:  I have the same arguments with myself when I have to do something I don't necessarily want to.  Like grocery shopping.  I usually tell myself "There is absolutely no reason not to go, so just go!".  Most of the time that works.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I think most of us have those internal dialogues about mundane things we need to do. I'm a terrible prevaricator. I know I need to go to the store and bank today. I used the last of the cereal today and it's best not to let it pile up with things I need before I go. I already know I'll fritter away at other things when I should simply go ahead and get it out of the way. I also know i might well put it off until tomorrow. See, I'm having much the same debate except without the anxiety.

 

Keep up reinforcing the positive thoughts. You'll conquer this.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks for sharing, guys, it makes me feel less odd to know others sometimes have similar inner dialogues - I think if I could somehow find a way to substract the anxiety from the equation, I might have a much easier time simply doing the things that need to be done. I'm working hard on that. I keep reminding myself that not everything needs to be associated with a very strong emotion and some things are mundane and not as important, emotionally, as others. It is easier said than done, of course. The thing about the anxiety as an added ingredient to the inner debate is that sometimes it kind of makes it hard to be rational. Things get blown out of proportion very easily and honestly sometimes I feel as though I were walking a tight rope as I go through the day, trying to get to the end while not falling over the sides, but anxiety keeps on making the rope underneath my feet sway and wobble.
I'm hanging in there. Thank you, really, for being there for me. Your comments and your support help me more than you can imagine. I want to get better. I want to get over this and reclaim my life as it used to be – or, if that is not possible, to rebuild my life in a new and perhaps better way. Anxiety disorder and depression can be managed and sometimes outright overcome. I have read of people who have done so successfully. Maybe I can be like them.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 hours ago, albertnothlit said:

 Maybe I can be like them.

There's no 'maybe' about it.  :hug:  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..