Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 21. Chapter 21 - Long hours of night

The mind, as experienced in the dark hours of the night which fades into morning, is an interesting thing. When sleep will not come, and the world is quiet all around, even someone who is not accustomed to meditating is sort of forced into introspection. Lying in bed, tossing this way and that, there is no other companion but one’s own thoughts and no other sound but one’s own breathing. It is an opportunity, I suppose – an opportunity to reach down and find inner peace through awareness of the moment and nothing more. It is an opportunity to think in a more focused way, perhaps.

In my case, though, it is nothing but a dull sort of suffering which slowly escalates into full-blown panic.

Having spent now almost a month fighting against the insomnia which came out of nowhere, I have become well-acquainted with how things go for me. I will sleep for any number of hours without interruption – sometimes as long as six, others as few as three. Then I will wake up in the night, for no reason I can discern, and it all begins.

It starts out slow. I’ll still feel tired since for the most part I will not have slept enough, and I will try to hang on to the drowsiness that lingers. The times I am successful, I am able to latch onto a nonthreatening thought that just kind of meanders this way and that until I lose track and fall asleep. However, there are other times when I am not successful. I will try to doze off, but after twenty minutes or so of still being awake, I will get the first hot stab of anxiety straight through my chest.

You’re not sleeping anymore.

The thought is loud and scary. I will shift into a different position on the mattress, hoping that can help me. If there is noise I will raise the volume of my white noise and put on my earplugs. But now the ball of worry has been set in motion downhill, and it picks up momentum with every passing minute. If I am lucky enough to fall asleep at this point, sometimes it leads me straight into a nightmare – but at least I’ll have slept a little bit more. More often, however, I just… Can’t. I can’t fall asleep. I feel the tiredness in my body, but now the anxiety is growing inside me, bubbling in my chest like a boiling pot of water. I shift positions once again. By this point I pretty much know I will be unsuccessful, and that very thought feeds back into the anxiety creating a vicious cycle that is all but impossible to break.

I will fight against it if I can. Last night, for example, I realized after about twenty minutes of being awake in the middle of the night that I wasn’t going to be able to fall back asleep. For the first time, I decided to try and do something about it, something more than just lying in bed suffering quietly. I sat up and reached for my phone, where I had prepared a video of yoga for sleeping. My phone’s screen was glaringly bright in the darkness, and I couldn’t help but glance at the time as I began. It was 4:27 AM. I started doing the gentle exercises. The person showing them had a wonderfully calming voice. I followed along, slowly, gently, focusing on my breathing. I tried to picture my anxiety leaving me every time I exhaled. The video lasted for around twenty minutes, and by the end I was a tiny bit more relaxed. I covered myself with my blankets, lying in bed again, and closed my eyes.

It didn’t work. I was not able to sleep. All told, I spent three sleepless hours in bed, fighting against the rising panic. When I don’t sleep enough I grow tired. If I am tired, I have less energy to fight the bad thoughts, and they seem to sense my weakness because they come crowding into my mind like wolves drawn to a wounded animal. They make it so lying in bed motionless is unbearable.

Today, when I finally gave up and decided to stand up, not too long ago, I could feel the beginning of a panic attack. I can feel it still – a prickling in the back of my neck, a nervousness that comes from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It’s a deep fear that whispers I will not be able to get through the day because I could not sleep as much as I think I need. And there is also the memory of those hours in the dark. They are long hours when I am alone with my mind, and even though this time around I was able to fight off some of the negativity, bad thoughts still came and they hurt. I suffer in mornings like this. I desperately want it to stop. I don’t know how, though.

I have tried many things to try and fight this insomnia. It’s been nearly a month since the problem started, but I am no closer to a solution. I still don’t understand what triggered it, or how to make it go away. I feel so tired. Every day is a huge fight and, if I haven’t slept, I lack the necessary strength to go out and fight for my own peace of mind. I feel the physical tiredness drag me down even now, and I look at my bed wishing I could just climb in and sleep. But I know I won’t be able to, not now. I feel trapped, in a way. I am tired but I cannot rest. I have no energy and yet I must begin the day.

I’m trying to look at a silver lining, if there is one. During those twenty minutes of calming yoga, at least, I was not freaking out. Maybe if I keep doing that every single time I find I cannot sleep, I will discover that it can relax me enough to actually sleep again. Maybe. I am also fighting real hard against allowing this bad night to escalate into a full-blown panic attack. I don’t feel well but I am not panicking and I will try to keep it so. I should also remember something my counselor told me: the lack of sleep generates a lot of anxiety, thoughts that say you will never sleep again, and I am having precisely those thoughts. Nevertheless, sleep is a physical necessity. If my body becomes so tired that it can literally not go on without rest, I will sleep. It’s just a matter of time.

I don’t know whether I can find comfort in that, but I have to try. I… I just want to rest. That’s all. I need some sleep.

I’m so sorry I keep writing these negative thoughts down, I know it might sound like I am just complaining and whining. I do find a need to express these thoughts, though. Otherwise they just sit in my mind and fester. I am not giving up, however, and I am not sitting idle. I will keep trying new things until I find a way to conquer the insomnia. I’m willing to try anything at this point. If I can find a way to conquer the fear of not sleeping, maybe I will also find a way to relax enough to doze off in the middle of the night. Insomnia can be crippling and I am experiencing it firsthand. But it can also be overcome.

Maybe the road, for now at least, is simply acceptance. Maybe I can just accept that I will not be sleeping as long as I would like for the time being, and maybe I can plan around that, by for example making time in the middle of the day for a nap if I can manage – although that may backfire and make it harder to fall asleep when nighttime comes. There are a lot of variables around, but I have the time to analyze each of them and find useful patterns. I will conquer this, somehow. I will learn to have inner peace when I am alone with my mind. I kind of have to.

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s good to get all these things out, to tell those of us who care. I weep for your pain, my brother. I hold you in my thoughts, hoping for healing. If you did not write, how would we know what to hope for? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You are keeping the right attitude about the insomnia. You don't need to stress out about it because eventually you will sleep. A short nap during the day shouldn't disrupt your sleep patterns. You really should try using the good soak in a tub of hot water trick. You'd be amazed at how it rejuvenates you and helps you get through the day alert. Hang in there until this little episode passes.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

We're here to listen, so please don't think you are complaining or whining--that's the depression and anxiety talking. :hug: Insomnia sucks, but it will pass at some point.  :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hi guys. I don’t even know what to say. I’m finding it hard to deal with things as they are now, but I did want to mention that there has been some progress, at least a little bit. Yesterday it took a lot of effort for me to start my day, but I managed. I have begun to understand that one of the things that brings me down so hard is that, in the mornings, my energy levels are really low and I tend to extrapolate and think that I will be feeling so tired for the entire rest of the day, which naturally makes the day seem like an insurmountable obstacle. However, yesterday something interesting happened. I discovered that I had enough energy to go through my day – in fact, my energy levels were… Good, I think. I was able to do all the things I had planned and then some. I was able to do things in the afternoon and evening that, had you asked me in the morning, I would have said no way, there’s no way I can manage – but I did.

One of the things that helped me a lot was yoga. I had my second session yesterday. When I went in I was actually very stressed out, anxious, fearful. The session was challenging, but it was challenging in a good way. I tried to focus on my breathing as I did the different poses, tried to listen only to the sound of the instructor’s voice, and see only what my eyes could show me through the windows of the room, which was a beautiful winter morning under a bright blue sky. I managed to distract myself enough to be mindful every now and then, although I was constantly plagued by bad memories and bad emotions. The fact that I was committed to the session, however, forced me to shove those things aside whenever I could. There was also the fact that some of the poses were really challenging and during those times I really had no mental bandwidth left to worry because my full attention was given to the moment. During the last part of the session, where calm music is played and we meditate, I was able to relax a tiny bit as well. Again, most of the time my mind was still restless and anxious, but a little bit of the time it was not and I could kind of catch my breath emotionally. After I left the session, I realized that I was moving… More softly? More gently? I remember sitting down on a bench under the sunlight and looking up at the sky. I was less panicky, less anxious. I was a little bit less desperate to drown out the thoughts in my mind with a podcast like I normally do. All throughout the remaining hours of the day, this very faint calmness was always with me. It wasn’t a magical cure or anything, but it did help and I am thankful for this.

Later on, and this is something that I am only now recognizing, although I may have talked about this before, is that my energy levels went steadily up until they were at a comfortable level and they stayed there for the remainder of the day. In fact, despite the fact that I only slept for about five hours, I was not sleepy. It was weird. Surely five hours is nowhere near enough sleep? But, if it’s not, then why wasn’t I as awfully tired as that other night when I slept for three hours? I do not have answers to any of this, but I am heartened by the fact that I do appear to be needing less sleep now for whatever reason. I am also coming to terms with a trend that should have been obvious to me, but only now am I internalizing it. Simply put, I am an evening person.

I have always had a very hard time waking up early, even before this rough period in my life again. Mornings have always been challenging, and during the worst of my depression I actually skipped them entirely by waking up around 10 AM, when the morning was all but gone. Right now, though, I cannot do that because I wake up at 5 AM or 6 AM. This means that, for the first couple of hours of every day, not only do I have to deal with bad memories, the aftermath of any nightmares I may have had during the night, and the fear of not having slept enough, but also with the simple fact that I have very low energy and everything takes much more effort than it should. I wonder… Should I begin drinking coffee in the mornings? I normally don’t because I am terrified of growing dependent on any substance, even if it’s just coffee, and also because I usually experience a dip in my energy levels after lunch time, so that’s when I drink a little bit of coffee about once every three days or so. I’m also kind of wary of caffeine because I don’t know if it would just exacerbate my anxiety.

Anyway. As the day progresses, I grow more and more alert. Sometimes I get this energy dip around 1 PM, but I have spoken with other people and many say that it’s around that time that they also feel kind of tired. Coffee does help me deal with this when I feel really tired, but some other days I simply power through. As the afternoon progresses even further, I begin to perk up. I think the reason why afternoons and evenings are my favorite part of the day is because I am fully alert by then. I have the energy and mental acuity to do many things that I simply can’t bring myself to doing the mornings. By then, usually, if I have been doing what I should and keeping busy and being productive, my anxiety levels will have dropped. Yesterday I managed to get to know what I would say was a five out of ten – still uncomfortable, but manageable. That was a huge step from the morning when I was maybe a nine of ten. I used to think that the entire morning person or evening person thing was just made up, but now I think that, in my case at least, there is a direct correlation between my mood and the time of day. It’s heartening on one hand, because I know I can look forward to maybe suffering less and feeling less bad every afternoon. However, it also means that mornings will continue to be tough for me and that I need to find some way to cope.

At least last night I was able to sleep better. I slept for about six hours and dozed in bed for another hour. Something that helped me this time around was focusing on my breathing, but I tried to breathe the way I did in yoga class. Long inhale, exhale. I accompanied the breathing with gentle movements as I was lying on my mattress and it helped a little bit. I’m still anxious today – but I slept more than yesterday and that reassures me. I am learning how to deal with the insomnia when it comes, and little by little I grow stronger and more resilient in the face of adversity like this. Sometimes I get very scared that every day has to be this hard, but the lessons I am learning, tough though they are, will stay with me forever.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine.  I can't drink it after noon or else it tends to affect my sleep.  I have one cup of coffee in the morning, and that's it for me for the day.  If you're worried about becoming dependent, but need the jolt to get going, maybe try a cup of half-caf.  It has less caffeine, but maybe it would be enough to work, but not make you feel dependent on it.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Caffeine affects me not at all. I can take a jolt of it and close my eyes and sleep. It could be that I've been exposed to so much of it since I was a child. I can also completely do without it and not notice its absence. But people are different and substances can affect them in different ways. The reason most people drink coffee in the morning is to get them going for the day. I don't see why it would be any different for you and then have another about midday. I wouldn't consume any later since you're having the insomnia issue. Keep in mind that caffeine isn't limited to coffee, tea, and soda. Chocolate has caffeine since it occurs naturally in cocoa beans.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've been trying different amounts of coffee and I discovered that the magical amount is about half a cup taken around 3 PM. It smooths out the energy dip and it does not appear to impede my ability to fall asleep later in the evening. I don't take it every day, and I don't find myself craving it when I don't, which I suppose is a good sign. I'll keep experimenting and see how things turn out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..