Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 9. Chapter 9 - Breaking down or sweeping the floor

It’s been a few days since I last posted, and to be honest it’s been a challenging time. But today I feel strong enough to sit down and give shape to my thoughts. It might help me – it has, in the past. So here we go.

I guess sometimes it is easy to underestimate the emotional impact certain things will have on the mind. For me, at least, that’s what happened. Now that the holidays are here, family reunions take place. We catch up with others, find out how they’ve been doing… And we have to tell them how we are doing. In my case, my family is not very big but we are very close. Most of the bad stuff that’s happened to me in the last few months I have only discussed with my mom, but now that the family has come together, it was time to tell someone else about the bad stuff. Not because I felt I had to – but because it’s what’s fair, and besides, my sister could already tell that something was wrong even though she lives hundreds of miles away. I elected to share only now because we could talk face-to-face.

It was hard. Harder than I expected. Throughout the weeks, I had come to a place where I had sort of reached an odd sort of equilibrium with much of what has happened. It had become a sort of background to my days, along with the horrible anxiety attacks, the panic that sometimes sets in, the bad nights, the worse mornings, and so on and so forth. But having to explain to someone else just what I was going through – what I still am going through – forced me to look at the situation from the outside once again. It made everything seem fresh and painful again, and even though I was calm as I spoke, and even though I received all the support I could have hoped for, I still feel awful. It’s like I’m back to day one of all of these debilitating psychological symptoms. It’s like I awoke the trauma from its slumber and now it stirs in the dark recesses of my mind just like it did at the beginning. The bad feelings have not been quite as severe, but they are there, painful as ever. And now especially, when my daily routine has been forced to change a little bit because of family reunions, and with the overbearing weight of the pressure to be joyful and jolly now that the holidays are here, it’s rough. It feels like I am unbalanced and I’m struggling to regain my proper footing but getting tripped all the time by Christmas carols and early nightfall and the cold and my own thoughts.

Nevertheless.

I’m fighting to be well again emotionally, every second of every day it seems. And something I have managed to do even despite this situation of the past couple days has been to not give in to hopelessness. I have always gotten kind of down during Christmas, because, and I’m sure many others can relate, it seems like everyone is supposed to be super happy but I do have some bad memories of years which were not so good for one reason or another. This year is especially tough, but I have come to the conclusion that when I feel bad I essentially have two choices. Number one: do nothing, curl into a ball in my bed and suffer. Number two: do something. Something productive, or something fun, something positive. Anything. So today, and just as I have chosen each day since my anxiety took off like it did, I chose option number two.

I dragged myself to the gym even though when I woke up it felt like I wouldn’t have the strength to go. I did my full workout even though I kept thinking that I should just give up and go back home. I felt weak, but not physically weak – it’s a weakness of the heart, of dealing with too many negative things for too long a time I think. And yet being physically active, and proving my doctor right, the negativity receded a little bit. Maybe it’s endorphins at work, maybe it’s just the satisfaction of being active, but all the same the day always feels less dark after I’m done. Then I came home and the anxiety bubbled back up, feeling as though I was drowning in it. It’s hard to be logical and think when you feel like that, because all you can see and hear are your own dark thoughts, but despite all of that I decided to do something about it. I was home alone since the rest of the family had gone out shopping, and I started sweeping the floor.

It’s something so simple, yet it helped me. I swept and vacuumed. After a few minutes I felt like some music, which is itself a small miracle since I tend to avoid music when I feel down because just makes me feel worse. But since I was busy, it was a good way to distract myself. After sweeping I did the dishes, tidied up here and there. Completely mundane activities which many of us do without a second thought, or even avoid doing just because house work might seem annoying. But for me, it was a way to occupy myself and avoid the anxiety for a little while. I have often heard that being busy helps, and today I saw that it’s true. That’s not to say that it will always work, but for me at least it did and I do feel a small measure of satisfaction at challenging my sort of automatic avoidance response to a hard episode of anxiety like this one. Instead of suffering in silence and doing nothing, I cleaned up the house to the rhythm of music. It was a small victory, but I will remember it because my days now are made of those tiny victories that help me see the light in the middle of the darkness. I may feel like I have gone back to day one in terms of how anxious I feel, how sad, etc. but in reality I’m learning a lot and, even though right now it feels like the episode will never and I will always feel as awful as I feel right now, deep down I know that this will pass. I just have to hold on, and not give in to hopelessness.

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

The holidays can be tough for many people.  It sounds like you have a good support system, and your approach of working through it... keeping busy and pushing yourself when you don't want to do anything is one that takes a tremendous amount of strength.  You are an incredibly strong person, even though it may not feel like it now.  This entry is full of hope and realization.  And that's a good thing.  One step at a time... one day/hour/minute/second at a time.  :hug: :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Talking about it with your loved ones is very healthy for you in the long run.  A burden shared is a burden lightened.  It's not all that easy for you now because it's all so new and fresh in your psyche that it's painful to go back and touch it.  But, each time you share it, you're letting go of some of that pain.  You may not think that's what you're doing but in time you will feel better for it.  

 

I'm really glad for you that you're writing all of these feelings down now.  In time, you'll be out of this darkened moment of your life and be able to truly see just how far you've come.  :heart::hug:

Edited by Jdonley75
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Grieving to me is like a spiral. You sometimes feel like you go back, but in reality you are indeed moving to a new place where you are more equipped to handle your pain. Keeping busy is a goid strategy. So keep going when you feel up to it. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Guys, thank you so much for commenting. Today has been kind of rough and it has helped me to read your words. They give me perspective - that while right now I may feel like this is the weight of the world on my shoulders, I'll be able to look back one day on this and realize time has healed me, and that my efforts to keep going with life are not in vain. Puppilull - thank you for sharing that image of the spiral, I think it's kind of what I'm going through too. I started out really deep and dark but ever since I decided to change for the better and face my problems head on , I've been circling away from that dark place and slowly moving forward into the light - but the path is not a straight line, rather that curved shape which may sometimes make it seem like I'm back at square 1 when in reality I'm better and all I need is a shift of perspective. Thank you, Valkyrie, for saying I'm strong - my family told me that too and it helps me to hear it because I think I may be starting to believe it a tiny bit. Jdonley, thank you for sharing the image of burden shared = burden lightened. Though it was tough to open up to my sister and look at everything from the outside once again, now there are no secrets and my family is all on the same page. I think honesty is a good starting point, and they have offered me their support, which can only make this journey easier in the long run.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..