Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 2. Chapter 2 - On the nature of fear

On the nature of fear

 

Tonight, I would like to share with you an epiphany I had while walking my dog. The moon was full out, colored lightly golden like it sometimes is when it is still low on the horizon. It was cool but not chilly, the air filled with a gentleness that I have not felt for a couple of weeks now. And as I was picking up my dog’s poop, it happened. The familiar icy hot sensation of panic surged through my chest, triggered by association to the song I was listening to on my headphones – only this time, instead of fighting it, instead of having a knee-jerk reaction of rejection to the fear, I let it in.

 

Those who have experienced panic attacks before, or crippling fear, may be familiar with the way such emotions numb the mind. The only thing you can think of is that you want the pain to go away, the horrible sensation to disappear somehow and give you back your rational brain. I have been having a very tough time trying to fight against it, but tonight it has occurred to me that maybe fighting it is not the proper response. Because it almost feels like a small miracle, but when I let the fear into me instead of fighting it, I also showed it the way out. It felt as if it passed through me. I acknowledged it, recognized it for what it was, and then let it go its own way. In the end, only I remained.

 

I think Frank Herbert was wise when he wrote that prayer or litany about fear in his books. Fear is the mind-killer. But you can face your fear, let it go through you, and still remain standing. I have had dark periods in my life, perhaps none as dark as this one, and his words have always rung true when the blackness seems to surround me. Yet it is only now that I think I am beginning to understand what he meant. I vividly remember encountering his work mentioned in another book series that touched me deeply, K.A. Applegate’s Gone books. In them, when things are at their darkest, literally, these powerful words about the nature of fear are mentioned and, while they do not extinguish the fear, they are acknowledged as part of life, part of a bad situation, and part of the human will not to give up. Fiction is as its strongest when it shows you an aspect of reality in another way, helping you understand. It is one of the many reasons I love literature so much.

 

I don’t know whether I’ll be able to remember this nugget of wisdom if a panic attack comes in the night, but I wanted to share this because right here, right now, it is helping me a little bit. And if it helped me, maybe it can help someone else.

 

Thank you for reading, if you have. I wish you all peace and wisdom, all through the night.

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 16
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If this experience of fear passing through is of continuing value to you, then this entry I shall mark with a bit of celebration. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Panic attacks are brutal, but they do not define you. You can be strong! ❤️ I care and empathise, and if you ever need to talk, you can send me an inbox! ❤️ 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've never suffered of panic attacks, but I am a firm believer in the power of acknowledgement. To accept the feeling and let it be there. Not taking over, but merely existing. Of course, this is likely much harder when it comes to something as overpowering as a panic attack, but I think you are onto something helpful. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2018 at 11:12 PM, Jdonley75 said:

Panic attacks are the hardest times to defend yourself from Fear.  But allowing yourself to acknowledge it and let it go instead of clinging to it like it wants you to is the greatest show of inner strength you can exhibit.

 

For some reason, this brought to mind the end of the movie "Labyrinth" where she faces the Goblin King and with one sentence, undoes all his magic.  

 

"You have no power over me."

 

That's what undoes your fears.  To know that they only have power over you if you let them.  It's a lot easier to say than to do, I know.  I've had slow burning panic attacks that have lasted days and made me a yelling screaming maniac in the past.  I've had overwhelming attacks that left me feeling paralyzed for no reason other than I allowed it to.  

 

That you're starting to understand that and really take it to heart means you are healing.  And that's always a good thing.

 

May the gods keep you safe.

 

 

"You have no power over me." 

Thank you for mentioning that. There is wisdom there, which I'll try to remember when it gets bad. Thank you also for sharing - it means a lot.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Calm is the island we swim to. Sure steady strokes are the goal, but fighting the current is sometimes so impossible, we have to figure out a way to use it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, but each time, our skills improve. Your epiphany is a big one, Albert. :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/24/2018 at 11:12 PM, Jdonley75 said:

Panic attacks are the hardest times to defend yourself from Fear.  But allowing yourself to acknowledge it and let it go instead of clinging to it like it wants you to is the greatest show of inner strength you can exhibit.

 

For some reason, this brought to mind the end of the movie "Labyrinth" where she faces the Goblin King and with one sentence, undoes all his magic.  

 

"You have no power over me."

 

That's what undoes your fears.  To know that they only have power over you if you let them.  It's a lot easier to say than to do, I know.  I've had slow burning panic attacks that have lasted days and made me a yelling screaming maniac in the past.  I've had overwhelming attacks that left me feeling paralyzed for no reason other than I allowed it to.  

 

That you're starting to understand that and really take it to heart means you are healing.  And that's always a good thing.

 

May the gods keep you safe.

 

For me, because I am a giant geek, it was a shortened version of the Litany Against Fear from the Dune series: "I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

I hate panic / anxiety attacks -- and silly questions from well meaning friends like, "what caused it?"; a question that often doesn't have an obvious answer.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Fae - yeah, I understand the not-having-a-cause bit. Sometimes it's just there, and the cause is not obvious, may not even be something you can consciously identify. Nevertheless, the attack remains. It's awful.

Link to comment

There is a saying that stayed in my mind as I was reading your entry: “If you’re going through hell, keep going”.

 

There is strength in being this vulnerable, in sharing your pain.  I hope and feel this strength will eventually see you through to the other side of hurt, though the road may not be easy.

Thank you and Bless you.  I truly hope this is helping you.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..