Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 20. Chapter 20 - Hard day

I know that there are going to be bumps along the road, but they are scary. Even more so when you were not expecting it, when it seems like the bad things come out of the blue and you don’t understand why and you don’t really know what to do.

Yesterday was one such day. It actually started the night before, although I didn’t realize it at the time. That morning two days ago, I had literally sat down to write a note which I published here about how I felt cautiously hopeful with my newfound emotional resilience. I knew that I was progressing into what is maybe the next stage of my journey through all of this pain, and it was scary but also wonderful to know that things were beginning to improve, even though I didn’t dare to hope they would. That day was nice. It was still hard, but less so than normal. I felt well enough to try something new at the gym again, a kind of dance-fitness class which was a mixture of aerobics and actual dancing. I was terrible at it! I had literally never done anything even remotely similar to that, but it was fun and it was super demanding and I liked it. Just like with my yoga class, I am trying to open myself up to new experiences which can help me maybe deal with the way I feel and help me relax and just find more good things in life, good moments which can maybe be translated into good memories.

The rest of the day went well, and it went so well in fact that I decided to go to the movies with a friend.

I think that might have been my mistake.

The movie we watched had a deep significance to me because I had watched its two prequels and I had waited for years for the final one to come out. I was excited about watching it, but I underestimated the emotional impact it would have on me. I liked it immensely, but it was a very hard shock to suddenly be remembering myself when the first one had come out, and then when the second one had come out. I was forced to compare my life then to my life now, and a flood of memories, good and bad, crowded into my mind. I cried a lot during the movie, trying to hide it so my friend wouldn’t see. After I was at home in my bedroom that night, alone, I prepared for sleeping but I could feel a horrible upsurge of anxiety already bubbling in my chest. I couldn’t get the music from the movie out of my mind and everything it conjured, good and bad. Everything I thought about hurt. I did everything I normally do to calm down before bedtime, like talking about how I’m feeling, but this time it backfired and I actually felt much worse after trying to analyze the reason for how I was starting to feel so anxious. Nevertheless, I told myself that it would be okay. After all, it had been a good day – no reason for me to feel bad.

That night, which was last night, I barely slept. It took me forever just to fall asleep and I was terrified of the slightest noise which would wake me up. I dialed the volume on my white noise setup all the way up, stuffed earbuds into my ears and tried to rest. I woke up about three hours later, fully alert, heart pounding, all the memories which had been disturbed crowding into my mind, shouting for attention, demanding I acknowledge them and demanding I feel bad.

I spent one of the worst nights I’ve had since I started having insomnia. I tossed around in bed for hours. I was so terrified and so scared that, despite the fact that I know I should get up from bed when I feel like that, and try to do something else instead, I couldn’t. I couldn’t bring myself to stand up. I was also sore from the dancing, which only added to my discomfort. I was trapped in my bed, like it has happened in the past, and it was horrible. I could not go back to sleep and I could not stop thinking about the bad things that have happened in my life so recently, and what sharp and terrible contrast they made with the way my life used to be in the past. Even though I now know that the relationship I had was actually hurting me, there were moments of genuine happiness in all those years and now they came back to haunt me. Horribly negative thoughts that I thought I had worked through came back, just as if it were day one again. I was powerless. I could have called someone in my family for emotional support – they have told me that I can. Or I could have called my friend – but I was so terrified that I didn’t even think about that. I couldn’t. I grew more and more desperate as the hours crawled by. I tried to pray. I tried to meditate. I switched position this way and that but the thoughts would not stop. They were thoughts as a sharp and painful as I used to have at the beginning of it all.

When the morning came I was a nervous wreck. I had a very bad panic attack, the worst I’ve had in weeks. I could not stop crying and it felt like I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed at all and start the day. The worst part was that I didn’t understand why it had happened, why so suddenly. I was desperate but I opened the file with my emergency morning plan and followed the steps one at a time even though I didn’t want to and even though I was in such emotional pain that all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and disappear. I wrote a long note about how bad I felt right then. Afterwards, I actually logged onto here and I reread the little note I’d written two days ago about feeling hopeful – and I was feeling so awful that I couldn’t believe I had written a note as positive as that one. I read the words and it felt like they had been written by someone else. It was terrifying. But there were still things that needed doing and so I… I did them.

I went to work even though near the end of my shift I was physically exhausted because I had barely slept. I went to the gym like I usually do and did a gentle workout. I had a satisfying day if I remove its emotional component, and by the time it was over I tried to tell myself that I had done it. Despite feeling as awful as I had, I hadn’t given up. I was told I should feel proud of the way I had acted. I’d refused to give in to despair and transformed a bad day into, if not a good one, at least an okay one. I heard the words, but when I am feeling as bad as I did then as I do now, it’s like my brain can’t understand any positive ideas. I see them and grasp them in an abstract way but I can’t internalize them. Nevertheless, I did have an okay day, and that thought I took with me as I prepared to sleep. Thankfully, I was able to sleep this time. I woke up a little while ago. I had a lot of nightmares and I still feel unbalanced, scared and confused. I still don’t know why this happened. Maybe it was just the movie or maybe the movie was just the catalyst needed to move or to unsettle all of these unresolved things that I still have to deal with. All the pain of the past, all the loss, all of the bad things and also all of the good things. I don’t know.

All I can do is go forward. Today I also have my emergency morning plan to follow. I will try to fight against this horrible pressure in my chest and this jittery nervousness that makes it impossible for me to sit still, even as I am writing this. I will try to have another okay day if I can manage. After all, yesterday I did manage and things started out much worse. Today I at least had a restful night, all things considered. I can do this. I can do this.

I know the tone of this entry is almost a 180 change from the last one... I don't understand why there was such a sharp shift in how I feel. Sorry if it's a bummer. I really needed to write this down to try and deal with the emotional pain.
Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

you should get your antidepressants reassessed. It could take several different things before something works. You've had enough time on whatever you are on to work or not and it is still rougher for you than it should be by now.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am sad you had a bad night, and I weep that you were in such pain again;  but I felt heartened that you fought it and managed to get through a day. You are right.  You can do this, you will be all right. And as you heal, slowly, incrementally, there will be many of us supporting you and cheering you on as I do now.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

This was one of the bumps in the road. They are unpleasant, but you leave them behind you as you go along the road. I wouldsay the movie was a triggering event since it was a sequel and as such connected with your past.

 

I think it might be good for you to have something tangible to carry with you to focus on to help you along. You can use it to channel the anxiety and fears out of yourself and into the object to dissipate away from you. This is something which has been used for many centuries. If you choose to do this, I would suggest having more than one and keeping one with you all the time. It can be nothing more than a polished stone or a coin, just anything to use for focus. Crystals are often used for this purpose also. Condider it as another potential tool in your toolbox.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

We know the road isn't smooth and there will be bumps along the way.  I'm sorry you had a setback, but it sounds like you're putting your toolbox to good use and using what you've put in place for instances like this.  :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you for your support, guys. Yesterday morning was one of the toughest I’ve had because the change was so sudden and so painful. The panic attack was very strong. It brings about this awful combination of feeling exhausted for no reason and feeling terrified of the day ahead. I fear not being able to do everything I need to do and the fear grows and grows.

I tried my hardest yesterday and I was able to dial down my anxiety and fear by the end of it. It’s just like it was at the beginning, when the morning would be devastating and then slowly, as the day progressed, through many individual acts of defiance on my part, I would push the anxiety and pain to the side. I think yesterday might have even been a little bit easier than it was a couple months ago. I plunged into my daily activities despite the fact that I fear not being able to do them, and by the end of the day I was rewarded with, if not respite, at least less anxiety.

It’s not over yet, though. Today I woke up around four thirty and couldn’t go back to sleep. It was as painful as it always is. Memories assail me… And the bad thoughts crawl out of the corners of my mind and begin whispering horrible things in my ear. I tried praying but it didn’t work. This time, though, after maybe an hour and a half of tossing around in bed, I managed to gather enough strength to actually stand up even though it was still dark out. I did some yoga in my room – not a lot. Just some breathing exercises, lifting my arms up and bringing them back down very slowly. I managed maybe five repetitions before I panicked and I crawled back into bed again, but it was something. It’s the first time I have done something to fight against the feeling of being trapped in bed with my thoughts. I don’t know if it helped, but then I had another full-blown panic attack which I am fighting against right now by sitting down and writing my thoughts instead of just crying. Today, like so many days before, the prospect of what lies before me looks impossible to manage. How will I go to work? How will I do other things that I have to do? Added to all of this is the fact that I am kind of sleepy, and the tiredness terrifies me. It takes so very much emotional strength to fight against all of this that, when I don’t rest as much as I think I need to, if you’re just won’t be able to manage. This fight is hard. I try to remember that I am making progress, that others can see it and sometimes even I can, but the fear is everywhere and it is hard.

Time is my friend. I need to remember that. This will pass. Even if it doesn’t go away right now, it will pass eventually. It’s hard to have faith that it will pass when I am trapped in the bad things, like right now. But I must. And I must somehow find strength to face today. I must try.

Thank you all for bearing with me and thank you so very much for your messages of support. I am going through the toughest period in my life bar none, and your kindness and compassion in caring enough about me to offer support even through the distance is priceless to me. Sometimes the bad thoughts say that I don’t deserve help or compassion from others, but I know those thoughts are not rational. I’m hanging in there with all my strength. I will transform this day into something good, like I have done so many times before.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..