Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 3. Chapter 3 - Day by Day

Day by day

 

Being out in the water is scary. There is a primal part of the brain which fears the unknown, and nothing is more mysterious than the inexorable pull of the current below the surface. At first, it might be easier to simply deny such currents exist. To fight against them, even. For me, as I sail on the boat of my life, the strategy was always very simple: hold on, keep course. I had a destination and I would not waver from it, regardless of where the water wanted to take me. I set myself the one and only task of building as much strength inside me as I could so that I could keep my iron grip on the rudder which controlled my direction of travel. And, for a while, it worked. Not only did I grow stronger as I fought against adversity, which I saw is the ripple in the waves, the undertow denied, the whirlpool averted… I also grew in arrogance, in thinking that all I needed to best the vast ocean was my own will. It worked all right – for a time. And then things changed.

I began facing a series of trials of increasing difficulty culminating in this one, where my own weakness is finally revealed. The lesson I am learning is humility, and only now do I begin to understand why arrogance is considered the worst of the seven deadly sins. There is grief in the boat with me now. There is also regret. But if I look carefully, I can also see a glimmer of wisdom. Sometimes I catch its faint shimmer, other times I feel that I can’t find it no matter where I look, but if I’m patient it always comes back. And it says to me: let go.

Let go of trying to control the course of your trip through the ocean of life. It’s okay to let your tired arms rest and let the current take you where it will. You can gather strength that way, for the next trial. And maybe, just maybe, you might look out from your boat one day and see that you have been taken to the shores of a beautiful land you would have never reached on your own.

I write this down right now to try and keep myself from forgetting. I am so used to controlling every single aspect of every single day that the very idea of letting go every now and then is terrifying. The mundane must be carefully planned and executed or else I interpret it as a total catastrophe. If I oversleep, my day is ruined. If I get to the gym later than usual, all motivation to exercise threatens to leave me. And so on, and so forth. Yet now, when I am essentially forced to take one day at a time without knowing exactly where it will take me, the thought has come to me that maybe that’s okay. Maybe it’s okay to simply have lived this day the best I could. Maybe not everything went according to plan, but maybe it’s not my plan this day is following. After all, the currents remain a mystery to everyone. Maybe I can dare to have hope, to reach out to the glimmer of wisdom in my boat, and trust that I will arrive to a safe haven after the storm has passed.

Thank you for reading, and thank you again to everyone who has reached out in such a wonderful way. I'm taking this one day at a time. The mere fact that I can write a bit is an enormous improvement over how I was a few weeks ago. I feel as though there's progress to be made, and wisdom to be earned, as this journey continues. My best wishes to you all.
Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 10
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

You're learning some important lessons and expressing them quite eloquently.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.  :hug: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you for writing as you do. You are both eloquent and thoughtful as you observe your days. I send you hugs tonight. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

One of the smartest things I ever did for my own well being was to just stop trying to control everything.  And most certainly stop worrying about the things I have no control over.  Just take care of me and whatever happens happens.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yeah - it's hard to let go when I've been a control freak for so long, but it's also liberating, in a way. I'm trying to really understand what it means to accept things as they come without agonizing over every variable I could possibly influence to optimize an outcome.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Your words about trying to control everything in your life struck very close to home. When we do this, something has to give. I won't tell you my story, but I will say that what you see as a weakness, I see as a medical condition. Okay, maybe you've been arrogant, and you've learned a lesson, but panic attacks, anxiety, and depression are real... very real. And yes, part of the journey is solitary, but don't be afraid to seek help. We can't always get there on our own. I hear you, Albert. :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A tricky balance to find, knowing when to stay in control and when to go with the flow. The illusion of total control is dangerous since you set yourself up to fail. But surrendering completely to the will of the world and that undercurrent means not even trying to steer, even though there are things we can control.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..