Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 7. Chapter 7 - Alarm

Something bad is going to happen soon and you can’t stop it. You’re in danger! Watch out, it’s going to take your life away from you, it’s going to destroy it. It’s something horrible and it’s coming. It’s coming NOW!

 

Today in the afternoon I had a very sharp episode where the thoughts above would spear through my mind every few minutes. While the episode was going on, rational thinking was no good. I would just jerk upright in my seat as each wave hit. I was in danger and I couldn’t do anything to stop it! It’s a horrible sensation to have when it’s real. It is also horrible when it is not. I tried to stop the train of thought in its tracks, to analyze it like my doctor told me to do. At first I failed miserably. I was watching an episode of The Office to try and distract myself, but despite the fact that I love the show I could not bring myself to laugh even once. On the contrary, somebody would say something or I would see something which would trigger the alarm in my brain once again. Watch out. Something very bad is going to happen. Has happened. Will happen. You can’t do anything. It’s going to hurt so very much.

 

The thing that gave the bad thoughts teeth was that just now I am faced with uncertainty about my future on a number of fronts. It generates a lot of anxiety to think that I am not fully in control of my future, but I fought the waves of catastrophic thinking and as the show was ending, I managed to find the chink in the armor of my foe. I kept on fighting, on telling myself to analyze the doomsday thinking. Was it rational? No. Okay, there may be hard times ahead, but I don’t know that for sure. Yes, I may not be fully in control of my future right at this moment, but then again who is? Was I ever in full control? No. It was just an illusion of control, as a course of my life is dictated by far too many factors, many of which I cannot even direct, foresee, or stop. What is happening is that right this moment I know for sure that some of those factors exist, and the illusion of control I had previously is forced to vanish. So okay, I’m not in control of every external factor around me. But I can be in control of how I deal with it.

 

I can spend the next month obsessing about uncertainties, or I can use the next month to build strength inside me to face whatever the future might bring, good or bad. This sudden alarm that explodes in my brain is not a normal thing. I should not accept it as such and give in to the panic and the cold chills it generates every time it attacks me. There is no danger to me at the moment. I am not in immediate danger. And I am not defenseless. I can drag on these bad thoughts out of the dark recesses where they like to hide and into the light of reason. In my case, I did so by calling someone close to me and going over the structure of the screaming alarm in my head. It took several tries, but right now I have managed to calm down. I have always been prone to imagining the worst, and those neural pathways are not the ones I wish to cultivate any further. Instead of thinking that I will face the worst possible outcome, I should entertain the hope that I will encounter the best one, while preparing for whatever comes. Some small measure of forethought is always useful, but in my case forethought and worry have become warped into this maddening ball of barbed wire that bounces around in my skull, shredding every single thought pattern it crashes into. But it doesn’t have to be this way. If I analyze the root of my alarm, I will find it to be not grounded in reality, but in my distorted imagination of what reality might be like.

 

So no, I am not in immediate danger. I will not give in to this crippling alarm and freeze in my tracks like a rabbit who goes tharn, paralyzed as the snake winds around its windpipe. I am not a rabbit. I am human being, and I have the help of other human beings around me. I can use reason to defeat animal fear. I can reshape my thoughts and lead them into new pathways, which will become stronger the more I use them. I can literally rewire my brain’s synaptic architecture just by thinking differently. It might take a few tries, I may fail most of the time of the beginning even. It doesn’t matter. With professional help and supporting network around me, I can unlearn my bad mental habits and learn good ones. Eventually, these shrill alarms will stop stabbing at me with their icy-hot blades and go back into the smoke from whence they came. After all, today I fought and regained a measure of my calm, proof that it can be done. Each subsequent battle can only get easier as I get to know my foe even better. And one day, I will have triumphed. Whatever form triumph might take.

Thank you for reading. Today I tried to give a little bit of insight into what it’s like to get sudden anxiety spikes which erase rational thought when you hit you hard. It feels awful, but I’m sticking to my psychiatrist’s recommendations and today I was able to at least calm down enough to write about it. It gives me hope for the future, and maybe these accounts might even help someone else who is going through the same thing.

Hugs,
-Albert
Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 7
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I admire your strength and perseverance.  Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts with us.  :hug: :kiss: 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you for sharing, I think you are very brave and strong even if it doesn't seem like it to you (now).

Hugs from me too 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you, guys. The more I write about these thoughts, the more I bring them out into the light, where their darkness withers and I can see them as they truly are - mere thoughts. Nothing more.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

GanymedeRex - I've actually been thinking that one day soon I may start to write again. God knows that now I have material to draw from! Silver lining? :D

 

Edited by albertnothlit
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I never comment, but I love your writing, I've been checking in sporadically here and on twitter over the last years tk try and figure out if you're OK... 

 

So sorry for what you're going through, I wish I could make it better for you. Much love. X

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m glad you have the courage to write this. You give me insight. As you put these words down, I hope your sharing them gives you increasing peace. 

 

I send you hugs and hope. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..